Am I cleaned?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BigTee44, Sep 13, 2014.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

So I was looking at some coins at the shop yesterday and these were up for consideration. I didn't end up buying them as I thought they all had been cleaned, maybe not the 34 but I wasn't positive.

What do you think?
    1854 quarter- dark toning. I thought clean with a retone.
    image.jpg image.jpg

1876-S. Had proof like fields but I didn't see any luster. I thought maybe a clean and or a polish. He said it was uncleaned.
    image.jpg image.jpg

1854 Half. Really liked this one but it's just too white not to be cleaned right?
    image.jpg image.jpg

1854 Half
    image.jpg image.jpg

1834 Quarter
    image.jpg image.jpg

Sure I know it's weird that I took pictures of coins I didn't buy but I find it much easier to take a picture and then view the coin with the picture. My eyes aren't the greatest and I thought this makes it easier. I do still view the coins in hand with a scope, but I find the lighting isn't always the greatest in coin shops.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

There seem to be hairlines or wipe marks on the first quarter and second half dollar.

I also think the second quarter is cleaned.

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think the 34 quarter is a decent looking coin, but like you, I would also have passed on the others.

5. BigTee44

Here's what I picked instead.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I like the seated half, Big Tee. I don't mind 19th-century US silver that's been cleaned, as long is it hasn't been harshly cleaned. I like coins that have performed their duty and have nice eye appeal. The quarter is too bright for my tastes - looks like it's had a recent cleaning, but I like the half immensely.

phankins11 likes this.
  7. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Is that a rim dent at top with a crack. Maybe you could hassel on the price.

Dave 1877 Hit.jpg

BigTee44 likes this.
  8. BigTee44

Cleaning or dip?

I knew it has been dipped but it still has lots of luster on it.

I was thinking it'd grade as a 55

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Yeah, dip. If you say it has luster, I believe you. The image is a bit overexposed, so it's hard to tell.

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Like the 77 half most of the others have been dipped anyway the 54 half has hairlines all over it can't tell on the 34 quarter on my screen has good old color if cleaned a long time ago

BigTee44 likes this.
  11. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I feel the same way.

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I don't always mind a retoned dip but really prefer original color. I'm just not a fan of blast white but to each their own. That 1877 half is the kind of coin that really appeals to me

Draft saved Draft deleted