Am I being to pickey ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mojavedave, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I just recieved a bag of 100 Kisatchie quarters from the mint.

Without magnification, out of the 100 coins most all appear to be what you would expect as uncirculated business coins mailed in a bag loose to bang around with each other.
    However, with a 10X glass, there are only about 30 coins in the whole group without excessive dings and scratches, and 70 that would end up in the junk coin pile. For the excessive price we pay for these coins, one would think of a better percentage of good quality coins. Do you think buying roll coins would be any better ?
    Is a 10X glass to much magnification for analysis ?

Dave

coinman1234 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I think if you got 30 that look good under 10x, you did well. Roll coins might (emphasise "might") be better, provided they're rolled at or very near the source. Otherwise, they just get shipped to wherever they're rolled, then banged around in a rolling machine, then sent to you, all the while you're probably paying more money for the privilege.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I always had better luck with bags, but I preferred the $250 bags. (I don't know if you can get them any more.)

First, I would sort them by the naked eye. Then I would use a 10x loupe. Finally, I would examine them with my stereomicroscope. Any of the coins that had fewer than five MINOR nicks or dings would, in my opinion, probably grade MS68 or, at worst, MS67.

Sorting a 1000-coin bag in this fashion would usually result in 200 by eye, 100 of the 200 by loupe, and finally, 50 or more by stereomicroscope that would grade 67/68. If you can come up with 15-20 that will grade MS68, you'll be way ahead of the game, monetarily, after paying submission fees.

Chris

tommyc03 and Paul M. like this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Would this be the best (in terms of expense and effort) way to get high grade (MS67+) specimens of current issues? Or would CRH be simpler?

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm a bagger!

Chris

7. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I went through a bag of Homestead today. I pulled 28 from the bag that I thought would grade high. Then went through those and ended up with 9 and threw one in to make 10. I have done bags and rolls, and would take bags over rolls.

Well, the quarters I was looking through can only be had from the mint. I guess one could get lucky if someone threw their S-mint quarters into circulation. P & D quarters you may find some high grade coins if you stay on top of getting rolls all the time. But, if you buy $25 bags of quarters you pay $9.95 premium from the mint plus $4.95 shipping. So about an extra $15 on $25 worth of quarters. You could make up the $15 upon finding a few gems in the bags.

8. coop

coop Senior Member

I bought a bag back on the 50 States series. They were the same way. They looked like the mailman played tambourine with the box they came in. Never bought another one as they are a lost cause to pay more to get less quality.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted