AM FG Serif guide?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tin_Man_0, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

So I make this little picture guide to help me keep things sorted out when looking for the 88 92 98-2K coins. Can anyone verify I've got this right? Especially the conclusions I've noted on the bottom regarding each variety. I wouldn't want to share this unless it's accurate.
    Close AM Wide AM.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

In the instance of a close AM the space between the M and E are equally important as the space between the A M.
    As far as the 88' goes the AM is not important. All 88's have a wide AM. What is important is the flare on the G.

Tin_Man_0 likes this.
  4. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

Prior to 88, were all coins made with the wide AM but the G had no flair? And after 88, in all instances of Wide AM the G has flair while the close AM goes back to not having a flair (like in the 92 close AM for example)?

FYI, the examples I used in the coins above were simply a 1992 coin with the Major wide AM veriety and the 1999 with the Major Close AM veriety. Can I assume that if, for example I see a coin that has a wide space on the fg from the memorial will NOT have serif? AND will be a close AM? and the same for the reverse. If I see a coin with a close (narrow) space between the FG and the Memorial, then that will have a serif on the G and also be a wide AM? Are these traits constantly together?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The 88 is a type two reverse of 89. Both of these reverses show a wide AM. The style of the FG is the only thing that changed in 89'

Draft saved Draft deleted