Alwin's Top 10 - 2021

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Alwin, Dec 30, 2021.

?

Please choose your 3 favorites

1. 1- Mithradates II

2. 2- Phraates III

3. 3- Phraates IV

4. 5- Philip I

5. 6- Trebonianus Gallus

6. 7- Volusian

7. 8- Justinian

8. 9- Phocas

9. 10- Basil II

10. 4- Vologases II

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

My main focus of interest is Parthian coinage, but I found very few interesting coins in this category in 2021. That's why, by default, I partially switched to other coinages this year.
    Here are my modest acquisitions for 2021, in chronological order.

W1.jpg
    1- MITHRADATES II
    Drachm – S.27.1 – 4.20 g – 20 mm.
    It is an extremely common coin, but the style of this specimen appealed to me.

W2.jpg
    2- PHRAATES III
    Drachm, Artemita
    S.38.13 – 3.93 g – 20 mm.
    This type bears on the reverse a monogram formed by the letters APT, which indicates the mint of Artemita. It is the only Parthian issue minted by Artemita, so these drachms are sought-after. This drachm was struck with the same obverse die as British Museum specimen 1909,0205.5.

W3.jpg
    3- PHRAATES IV
    Tetradrachm, Seleucia, april 25 B.C.
    S.51.32 – 13.02 g – 27.5 mm
    You know this coin, it comes from the AMCC3 auction, and I renew my thanks to the seller and to the organizer of this sale.
    This tetradrachm is part of a small series produced from dies made by a different engraver than the one responsible for standard production. The style is particular and the king's torque ends with a griffin. This series may therefore have been minted in an annex workshop in Seleucia, or even by another mint, but there is no evidence to confirm this hypothesis.

W4.jpg
    4- VOLOGASES II
    Drachm, Ecbatana
    S.72.10 – 3.65 g – 20 mm
    On its S.72.8 drachms, Vologases II wears a tiara decorated in its center with a sort of hook, and two characters behind the bust give the beginning of its name. A little later, Pacorus II issues a series where he wears a tiara, but without decoration and without letters behind the bust (S.77.8). A few drachms of Vologases II were retouched (S.72.10) to erase the two characters of its name, so that they can be integrated into the coinage of Pacorus.

W5.jpg

5- PHILIP I
    Tetradrachm, Antioch, 248
    Prieur 357 – 10.72 g – 26 mm
    I always like the portraits on these Syrian tetradrachms, and with tired eyes a good size coin is very appreciated! This year I found some specimens to improve this series that I started a long time ago.

W6.jpg

6- TREBONIANUS GALLUS
    Tetradrachm, Antioch, 251
    Prieur 681 – 11.21 g – 25 mm

W7.jpg
    7- VOLUSIAN

Tetradrachm, Antioch, 251-253
    Prieur 699 – 11.83 g – 26.5 mm

W8.jpg
    8- JUSTINIAN I
    Follis, Theupolis (Antioch), 533-537, +THЄЧP°+
    S 216 – 14.91 g – 33 mm

W9.jpg
    9- PHOCAS

Follis, Cyzicus, 607-608, KYZ A
    S 665 – 11.00 g – 31 mm
    Most of the follis issued for Phocas are only crude overstrikes of earlier bronzes, rarely legible in their entirety. As much as the solidi of Phocas are present in all auctions, a well struck bronze of the same reign in good condition is difficult to find.

W10.jpg
    10- BASIL II & CONSTANTINUS VIII

Miliaresion, Constantinople, 976-1025
    S 1810 – 2.75 g – 24 mm

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

great coins, my fav - Portraits on #1 & #5 and the design of #10

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Alwin, You scored some great coins this year :happy:! I voted for #5, 6, & 7, the 3 Tets from Antioch because they have excellent portraits & all three are in exceptional condition :cool:. I've been a long time collector of Roman provincial Tets & appreciate their beauty & bargain prices, although prices for choice condition examples have been surging the last couple of years ;). The coin pictured below I sold in AMCC 3 this year & is similar to your Prieur 357, it realized $200.00.

AMCC 3, Lot 155 image.jpg
    Syria-Antioch, Philip I, AD 244-249 (struck AD 247). Billon Tetradrachm: 10.55 gm, 26.5 mm. McAlee 919a, Prieur 354. Photo by Tom Callaway.

I also added two Tets struck under Caracalla to my collection this year.

NGC 5747260-012, Al Kowsky Collection.jpg

Caracalla, AD 215-217. Prieur 1225.jpg
    Previously slabbed NGC 3763311-004, Ch AU, Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5.

5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice selections, @Alwin.
    My favorites are #1, 5 and 10. The portrait on your #1 coin is particularly good.

6. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

Different than what I collect - I really like #1

Congrats on a good year

7. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great group! I don’t know much about Parthian coins, but I love your #1, what a beautiful coin.

All 3 of the Antioch tets are wonderful, the Volusian portrait is as good as it gets for this type, and I love the T. Gallus portrait as well.

8. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Great 2021 coins @Alwin

My favorites:
    #1: Mithradates II, awesome portrait, and the reverse is perfect
    #5: Philipp I, same here awesome portrait, beautiful reverse
    #10: Basil II & Constantius VIII, a beauty

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

1, 9, and 10 for me, and as I seem to be the only one giving the Phocas its due, I thought I'd share for comparison sake my own well-struck bronze of his. :shame:

BYZANTINE - Phocas AE Decanummium Quartered 3636.jpg

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I'm not a byzantine fan @Alwin but those are exceptional !
    My favorite is your Volusian tetradrachm, for I don't have any in my trays and this one is gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing it "in hand" very soon, hopefully, as soon as the pandemic allows us to meeting again

Congrats on a great year my friend
    Q

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Great year, @Alwin! I like the bug-eyed Phokas, which is in an exceptional state of preservation for the type, and the T-Bone and Volusian tets. May 2022 bring you much collecting joy!

12. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

It’s great to see #3 pop up on your top 10 list.. The griffin on the torque is my favourite aspect of the coin and it’s a pretty nice piece overall.
    I also gave the nod to 6 and 8

13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great additions Alain. My favorites are #1, 5 and 8. That Justinian is a really nice example.

Here are a few relevant coins. :)
    D6619028-77E2-4530-902B-129CF2B573BD.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Philip the Arab
    AR Tetradrachm, Seleucia and Pieria, Antioch mint, struck ca. AD 247
    Dia.: 28.1 mm
    Wt.: 11.47 g
    Obv.: AYTOK K M IOYΛI ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC CЄB, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
    Rev.: ΔΗΜΑΡX ЄΞOYCIAC ΥΠΑ ΤO Γ / ANTIOXIA / S C, Eagle standing left, head right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak.
    Ref.: Prieur 370; McAlee 902

820A89D7-4295-4EFD-8399-CE82F03BC377.jpeg
    Syria, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch
    Trebonianus Gallus
    AR tetradrachm, struck ca. 251-253, 1st officina
    Obv.: Laureate draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: Eagle standing facing, head and tail right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; A between legs. SC in exergue
    Ref.: McAlee 1173a; Prieur 657
    Ex Tenbobbit Collection; Purchased privately from the collection of an English gentleman in 2005; Ex AMCC 2, Lot 434 (Nov. 9, 2019)

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Congrats on the fine year, @Alwin! The Mithradates II is my fave. That Phocus is a standout for the reasons you mentioned. The T-bone and Volusian tets are both fabulous.

15. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the comments and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

16. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

1, 5, and 8 for my favorites (although I could just as easily have picked one of the other two Antioch tets -- 6 and 7 -- instead of the Philip I. They're all fantastic.)

Draft saved Draft deleted