ALUMINUM PENNY 1974 vs. NON-COPPER PENNY 1972-Denver Mint

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by girldly, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Oh no, sorry to hear that. I recently delt with a bout of skin cancer. The needed to remove the right side of my nose and rebuild it with cartilage from my ear. It took eight surgeries, a couple of skin graphs and sixty something stitches in my face to put me back together. Though I can hardly consider my scare with many others, it wasn't the best time of my life. Here I am on my way home from the doctors office. image.jpg I'm all better now, but it was a pretty rough road. I hope that you get a clean bill of health soon.

Kentucky and silentnviolent like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Remember this. Just because someone has a coin shop and deals in coins doesn't mean they know much about coins. Back in the 80s when I was a teenager I found a dime that was missing the ME. It said ONE DI. I took it to a local coin shop, he examined it under a loupe, said it wasn't scratched off or tampered with, but he had no idea what could have caused it. I got older and found out about grease filled dies and knew that the ME was filled with grease and that's what caused it. The coin dealer should have known that, but he didn't.

4. girldly

girldly Girldly

My god, I know how you felt. Same surgery on me, they removed the "cancer" - what they could find, and then put stitches under the skin, and over the skin. I was so dismayed. We thought it was a spider bite. Boy, quite a surprise, next thing I know I am in the hospital being zipped open....I am sorry you went through that. I pray yours never rears its ugly head up again. Mine has the tentacle type that dig in. I go through extensive tests next week. They wanted me to heal up from this surgery, then we will take it one step at a time. I wish I had not even told anyone, but it spilled out....this is one "illness" "word" that no one ever thinks they will hear. Enough of this talk, lets talk coins.....
    I am trying to keep my spirits up....that's what everyone tells me to do anyway...
    Best of luck in your life. Thanks for opening up to me. Thank you for the good wishes. Nan

Kentucky and silentnviolent like this.
  5. girldly

girldly Girldly

Still waiting for Karma to reward me, but, if family counts, then I have been rewarded....had a lovely holiday with family.

silentnviolent, -jeffB and Kirkuleez like this.
  6. philip Crawford

philip Crawford New Member

I also have a 1972 d penny that is silver tone and magnetic and have found other stories of people with the same penny, i wonder if there is not more to this story, what are the odds we all ended up with a penny from the same mint and the same silver tint, i wonder who made these

7. frech001

frech001 New but Old

Both copper and nickel electroplating were common high school chemistry lab experiments in the 60s and 70s.
    Al

8. girldly

girldly Girldly

I do agree. Missouri is having a sale (preview tomorrow) where coins/dollars/bars & other stuff like jewelry from Safety Deposit boxes will be auctioned off on Wednesday, Sept. 30, in Columbia Missouri. If you like coins, and I think we both do, take a look at the list. It can be seen at www.treasurer.mo. There is a long list of all the coins, etc. Amazing....

9. girldly

girldly Girldly

I would like to slap the person who outwitted the owner of a prestigious coin shop, and us as new collectors, thinking it was a true solid cent....Not that I am violent, but boy were we disappointed...It makes me think, maybe they were done at the Mint, but, they should have been disposed of...? who knows?

10. girldly

girldly Girldly

Can you put a photo of both side up? Thanks so much.

11. girldly

girldly Girldly

Philip, can you get a photo of our penny? Both sides? Maybe next to a regular 1972? Patiently waiting...

Draft saved Draft deleted