ALUMINUM PENNY 1974 vs. NON-COPPER PENNY 1972-Denver Mint

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by girldly, Apr 21, 2015.

1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

[​IMG]
    (C) Warner Brothers

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Apparently, nada.
    Nothing.
    Nil.
    zip.

naught.
    gonzo.

4. girldly

girldly Girldly

The answer is finally in: Our penny (silver tone) is plated in Nickel. What a disappointment. It was a one in a million shot. Who would do such a thing? In 1972 no less....
    It will not keep me from my love and appreciation of the "art work" on a coin though. I am a coin enthusiast for life.
    I want to thank everyone for being so kind.
    The "Ha-Ha" is on me....but I can take it. Maybe next time, we will have a winner.
    You are the greatest group of people I have ever had the privilege to meet. Thanks again.

BadThad, Kentucky and jay4202472000 like this.
  5. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

6. girldly

girldly Girldly

7. girldly

girldly Girldly

My son and daughter in law were in Europe and picked up a coin for me. It is in commemoration of "THE QUEEN'S SILVER JUBILEE". It is a proof, from the Royal Mint, with the Queen on the obverse, and the reverse is a floral garland, the ampulla and annointing spoon that were used in the coronation ceremony. It is lovely. It came in a box dated 20 NOVEMBER 1972. What a great son and daughter in law I have.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Thank you for following up. I'm sorry it wasn't the news you were hoping for, but as you see, a lot of us were hoping for closure.

Wheatmaster101 likes this.
  9. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the closure girldly. Sorry it wasn't a winner, but you have a great attitude. Karma will reward you!

love coins and Wheatmaster101 like this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

So, did they body-bag it or what? How much did it end up costing you?

11. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Well, without checking, you would never have known.

12. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Member

Keep at it girldly, that once in a lifetime coin is just around the corner...
    That's what I remind myself daily, and how the obsession continues.
    Glad to hear that the news hasn't knocked your enthusiasm- all the best for future collecting.

13. girldly

girldly Girldly

Thanks to everyone. I promised I would let you know. I keep my promises.
    I still wish to thank all of you for being so kind, and wishing us the best, even tho the odds were against us. You are a great group of collectors, and I will and do look at every coin handed me...I am hooked. It is people like you that keep this a great hobby...THANK YOU EVERYONE for being so kind.

love coins and silentnviolent like this.
  14. girldly

girldly Girldly

With regard to the cost, it was under $100.00. If it is plated, they do not charge for the machine that determines it is plated. I am glad about that. (So is my husband). However, I am a member of a great group of collectors, and I am glad I was able to speak with intelligent men and women who love coins. So, a few dollars lost, but so much gained. Keep on collecting, I am a lifetime collector now.

15. girldly

girldly Girldly

You are so right about that. After we learned the news, I kept hearing your logo
    "ha ha" from the Simpsons....that made me laugh. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

16. frech001

frech001 New but Old

See my May 12th posting. I stand corrected. A nickel plated copper penny is apparently magnetic. As I mentioned in my previous post, plating things (including coins) was a common lab experiment in High School chemistry classes when I was in school, back in the mid 60s and probably into the 70s as well. I presumed that the scratch test would have ruled this out but I was wrong there also. Thanks for following up with the results. You can tell we've all been anxiously waiting. I was really hoping you had a neat off metal mint error.

17. girldly

girldly Girldly

You are correct about the magnetic property. Very knowledgeable. I really enjoy talking to intelligent members like you.

18. girldly

girldly Girldly

The cost was minimal due to the fact that since it was coated, no extensive tests were done. So, it was more than a penny, but less than 100.00...I would have to look it up. But, it was so worth it. Now I know, now we all know. I am so sorry to get hopes up and all the kind best wishes for us, what I mean is you were so kind in hoping it was real....and it was such a let down to tell you it was coated....a fake~!
    Thank you tho, once again. The coin I will keep forever, as a reminder of what I went thru as an "OP". We have learned so much, and continue learning.

Silver Boozer and Kentucky like this.
  19. girldly

girldly Girldly

Anyone want to purchase a fake coated nickel penny?????

Ha-Ha!

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I would have much preferred you came back and said that you had a new discovery coin on your hands, but at least it is the coin that has introduced you to the hobby. Sooner or later you will consider that coin priceless.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. girldly

girldly Girldly

Me too. Those months of waiting were horrible. So much wanting it to be real, believing it was, and then, BOOM! It is a penny coated in Nickel. Well, we tried.
    Get this, here I was hoping for cash, wow!~and instead, now, I am battling cancer. Still have more tests to go, but it is in my arm, was removed, and next is to check the lymp nodes...What a year, right? Let's keep the good thoughts that my coin collecting and admiration will last me the next 40 years....I certainly am not ready to cut this life short....Now all I ask is not for a coin to be real, but for the cancer to be completely GONE, so I can resume my coin hobby, and enjoy this beautiful life.
    Thank you Kirkuleez

Kentucky, silentnviolent and Hommer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted