Alternatives to Ebay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by physics-fan3.14, Oct 1, 2021.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

For those of you who do not use Ebay - what do you use instead?

I'm interested in both selling and buying. I like the auction option of Ebay, and I like the significant amount of traffic it offers. However, fees are really high. Is there a decent alternative?

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I've sold items on Facebook Marketplace but only local pick up. Furniture and Bicycle related items.
    Transaction can be cash, Zelle or PayPal. No fee.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

5. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

ZoidMeister likes this.
  6. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

I buy from Great Collections, DLRC, HA.

I do buy off Ebay but often will find out if a Dealer on Ebay has an online store and will go ahead buying direct bypassing Ebay plus often saving 10% to 15%
    (I make sure the dealer really is a coin dealer and belongs to all the right groups and I look at all social media feedback as well including BBB reports as well as having a physical store)

I also buy off of Collectors Corner & MA Shops as well.

serafino likes this.
  7. ma-shops

ma-shops Well-Known Member

Please take a look at www.MA-Shops.com; there is a large inventory of coins and currency. All items are guaranteed. I work with this company and am happy to answer any questions you may have.

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Heritage, dealers I know through the mail, and my first choice, live at coin shows.

I have rarely used eBay. I know some people like to brag about how they have cherry-picked or picked off the less knowledgeable there, but I have not had the patience.

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  9. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

This ^^^ Much cheaper to sell there. It's not formatted as well as ebay but not terrible either once you get the hang of it. Just different. Mostly a lot of lower end stuff but sometimes there's a really nice slabbed option for something I'm looking for. I've paid $50 to $100 less than similar ebay offerings there and the coin was nicer. As a buyer I think the prices are undoubtedly better. Just not as much selection as ebay. Yet. Have to check it regularly.

As ebay keeps getting more expensive there has to be a lifeboat to escape to.

ZoidMeister and OldSilverDollar like this.
  11. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

It's really easy to sell on GC you just send them the coins and they handle everything else. No Ebay buyer returns an empty box scams.

baseball21 and ZoidMeister like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I only use my LCS and reputable dealers on line and in auctions.

13. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Do they have anything good? I took a quick look and it looked like a bunch of flea market offerings.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I like them for foreign coins. I have also found inexpensive PCGS coins too.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  15. ZoidMeister

Search skills are everything.

I like it for interesting exonumia items that I look for. It's also way easier to connect with a seller to negotiate a price. Buy an I expensive item and they give buyer and seller each others email address.

Z

16. ZoidMeister

17. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

My most recent buys have been from BST on another site. I usually miss the ones here (missed a good one last week).

I have also had luck on Great Collections. Had a lot more luck pre-COVID. Sellers are doing well there now. Prices for gold are high. I have not sold with them but read posts of many who have and did well there.

I have a few items that I won at Heritage that came with certs for free resale. At the time if the coin was over $1000 you could sell later for free. Not sure if that is still the case. I have not won a coin on Heritage in over 5 years.

I also go back to the dealer I bought from. Many give fair prices on things you bought from them. It helps if the coins have appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted