Altered Surfaces designation, any input would be wonderful...

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kevinfred, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

I thought about not mentioning what the problem PCGS put on this coin and see what you all said... Instead I concluded it might be easier for members to explain what they see with regards to the AS designation. They are the best photos I could get, thank you so much.

Attached Files:

• 78.jpg
      78.jpg
      File size:
      470.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

hard to tell from photo, could be improperly dipped or over dipped

4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

From the PCGS website:

"This No Grade covers anything added to the surface of the coin to either "improve" its appearance or to cover marks. Surface alteration methods include adding: dental wax, putty, lacquer, nose grease, etc. "Thumbing" is the application of a putty-like material to fill in marks, scratches, and other defects or to haze over portions of the coin. Coatings (such as lacquer), while intended to protect coins, result in a No Grade because it is impossible to determine the quality of the underlying surfaces."

That being said, I agree with bkozak33 - very difficult to tell from the photos provided. I would think this would be something that you would need a loupe to detect. I'm wondering if a coin doctor took a dremel tool to this coin to clean up a sketchy part of the fields? Of course, that's just a pure guess...really would need better photos to make a better guess lol.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Altered surfaces also includes whizzing and some forms of harsh cleaning. But if I had to guess on this coin it would be that something was put on the coin to darken it. Assuming the color in the pics anywhere near accurate.

6. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

There is also a mark I missed just to the right of the bottom leaf. I *really* wanted to buy this problem coin so it doesn't go un-loved but I think I'm going to pass. ;(

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Altered surfaces also includes whizzing and some forms of harsh cleaning. But if I had to guess on this coin it would be that something was put on the coin to darken it. Assuming the color in the pics anywhere near accurate.

Does look like light cigar smoke AT doesn't it. Now some use H2S gas.

8. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

9. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

UPDATE - the gentleman sent me a few new photos

Attached Files:

10. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

Rev

Attached Files:

11. Ibuyit2

Ibuyit2 Active Member

I had an 1881-O Morgan Dollar that a gentleman had stored, with about 189 more,in an oil can and over time the Obverse developed what looked like shellac on it. They returned it with the notation of "Altered Surface" and the Conservation Service wouldn't or couldn't remove it.

12. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

what does this oil can trick do?

13. Ibuyit2

Ibuyit2 Active Member

It ruins your coins!!

14. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

How much is the conservation service?

Will they only do it on gradeable coins?

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Dunno, but I'm sure it's posted on their web site.

The coin being gradable has nothing to do with it, nor can it. That's because even if the coin looks gradable before the conservation/cleaning, it very well may not be gradable after the conservation/cleaning. And that's because what they remove from the coin will often allow things to be seen that were previously covered up by what was removed.

Of course the opposite is true as well. Prior to conservation/cleaning the coin may look to be ungradable. But afterwards it may turn out to be gradable after all.

It is always a crap shoot and there is never a predetermined answer.

16. Ibuyit2

Ibuyit2 Active Member

All I know is that on one of my Morgans,an 1881-0, they returned in a slab graded MS62 for the Reverse I'm guessing and a notation on the slab altered surface because it did have something like shellac on the obverse from being stored in an old quart oil can that still had a little oil in it,but then on an 1879 Morgan they chose it for conservation service and it came back MS67 Cam PL.

Draft saved Draft deleted