Altered "DMPL" Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rtgarber68, Jun 11, 2010.

1. rtgarber68

rtgarber68 Junior Member

Impulse buy on ebay...having some second thoughts after closer examination of pics. Seller has good feedback, and a no questions asked return policy. Just wondering if anyone thinks this coin may be doctored.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

What coin? Can you post a link?

4. rtgarber68

rtgarber68 Junior Member

Sorry, let me try this again.

Attached Files:

5. tmoneyeagles

Pictures are too small to determine anything.
    Why don't you just post the eBay auction link here
    If you don't want to do that, then post your photos to your photobucket account (free if you don't have one), and use the code they give you, and paste it in a post.
    And if both of those choices don't work for ya' then you could always try reading this [URL="http://www.cointalk.com/t8565/"]thread[/URL].

6. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

The image is about the size of a postage stamp, to small for any opinion. Looks like an 1880, if it's an S mint mark, it could be legit.

7. rtgarber68

rtgarber68 Junior Member

Not much of a poster, more of a lurker. Apologize for my inexperience.

8. rtgarber68

rtgarber68 Junior Member

9. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I see nothing to believe it's doctored.

If he has a full return policy, what's the problem? Just get it in-hand, inspect it, and then make a decision.

The pics are crappy; you can't make a decision based on them (and therefore, shouldn't have made a buying decision based on them), but since you did, ethically you should at least receive the coin to inspect in person.

10. rtgarber68

rtgarber68 Junior Member

Of course I will reserve judgement until I have the coin in hand. The seller has been nothing but communicative and pleasant, no reason to doubt him on that front. Just looking for a second opinion is all.

11. tmoneyeagles

I can't even make an opinion on those photos. Try and post photos when you get it.
    I think the picture might have been doctored, but not the coin.

12. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

Welcome btw

Looks to be a really cruddy off contrast image, making the frost on Ms. Liberty's face, to be painted on.

About the only thing I can tell you at this time is when you get this RAW coin in hand, get it to a dealer to verify the frost on the devices and lettering. The reverse looks OK, it's just the obverse looks a little cheesy.

Happy Collecting

13. rtgarber68

rtgarber68 Junior Member

My primary concern was that the cameo was perhaps too "frosty", as most of the PL/DMPL Morgans I have seen still have a certain luster on the device. Also, some lack of detail in the strike of the device, which is counter to a "prooflike" coin. You could be right, it may be the photos, not the coin. Guess I will just wait and see.

14. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

That coin looks really funky to me. The frosted areas look like you would expect any Morgan dollar to look and the fields are super shiny. I'd really like to see a better picture of this one. I will say it gives me a funny feeling, but better pics are a must.

15. rtgarber68

rtgarber68 Junior Member

Hey Matt...you will get the opportunity to see it in person when it arrives. I'll bring it by Lost Dutchman. If it has been doctored, it will be yet another cautionary tale about the dangers of late-night ebaying after a couple of adult beverages.

16. LostDutchman

That's even better. I'd like to see this one in hand.

17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Now this is getting interesting. We have an E-Bay sale where the buyer is taking the coin to a reputable dealer to ensure authenticity. Can't wait to see how this turns out. My only request is that someone take photos so we can see.

18. rtgarber68

rtgarber68 Junior Member

Either Matt or I will post the results, for better or worse...hopefully for better.

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

So rt - what prompted you to mention altered ?

20. LostDutchman

I can take some good pics of it.

21. rtgarber68

rtgarber68 Junior Member

GDJMSP...As I said, a little too frosted on the cameo, again, could be the photos, but as someone said earlier, frosting looks kinda painted on. Also,
    a little too "deep mirrored" in the fields. As I understand, PL/DMPL have a certain level of striation in the fields, while these truly look mirror like. I guess(maybe this what prompted the purchase) the coin looks too good to be true, less a few scuffs on the device and a few tiny ticks in the fields. Hope it will turn out to be 100% genuine(and thus a gorgeous DMPL coin), and I have no reason to believe the seller will not issue a full refund if it turns out the other way.

Draft saved Draft deleted