Altar of Lugdunum, Countermark TIB

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pellinore, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Today I bought this coin at a coinfair. It was found in the Netherlands.
    The obverse is totally obliterated, I can't find head or toes about it, but there should be a head of Augustus or Tiberius on it. It has a countermark TIB.
    The reverse is fairly clear for a countermarked coin, it shows the altar of Lugdunum with a wreath flanked by palm branches and little men, and topped by two Victories. Underneath is the inscription ROM ET AVG.
    It's smallish, only about 20 mm, and it weighs 7.30 gr., that's o.k. for an as.
    Do you have any ideas about it? Please!

Tibbie.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

By it's weight and diameter it seems to be a semis (half an As) both Augustus and Tiberius issued them, that could be a TIB (Tiberius) counterstamp over an Augustus obverse.

4. Ancient Aussie

Or it could be an As clipped in antiquity, here is my semis, it is 18mm, 5.27gm.
    Augustus. bEc2o7GoHk5Q79BmKkc3i8FZWa6C4D (1).jpg

randygeki, Mikey Zee, Puckles and 7 others like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree with AncientAussie, although I don't know the coin well. There are two versions, right? One with the bust of Augustus and another with the bust of Tiberius, struck under Augustus? It makes sense that the OP coin would be Augustus with a TIB stamp rather than Tiberius bust with Tiberius stamp... assuming the TIB countermark means Tiberius as in the second emperor of the Roman empire and not some other meaning/person.

6. Ancient Aussie

Probably the best way of telling is to measure across the die stamp on reverse between two columns victories are standing on, mine is 9mm, if yours is bigger than that it is a cut down As.

Pellinore likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Augustus 2.jpg
    AUGUSTUS
    AE As
    OBVERSE: CAESAR PONT MAX, laureate head right
    REVERSE: Altar of Lugdunum, Victory on each pedestal, ROM ET AVG below
    Lugdunum 15-10 BC
    8.4g, 26mm
    RIC 230

8. Ancient Aussie

That's a nice Augustus portrait Bing.

Mikey Zee, gregarious and Pellinore like this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Thanks. Just wish the reverse was nicer.

Pellinore and Ancient Aussie like this.
  10. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Here RIC 245, 25 mm, 11 gr:
    RIC245TiberiusAsW.jpg

randygeki, Mikey Zee, Ajax and 10 others like this.
  11. Pellinore

My coin is oval, I now measured it exactly: it is between 21.5 and 23 mm in diameter. The distance between the two columns is 9 mm, not more, not less.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  12. Pellinore

I now believe this is the right aspect of the obverse. The head must be offcenter to the right and down:

Tib.jpg

And then the obv-rev-ratio is 6h.

13. Ancient Aussie

I forgot to mention my 9mm was outside, was that the same place you measured?

14. Pellinore

No, I measured the empty space between the columns just above the roof.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  15. Ancient Aussie

From that I am sure your coin is an As, maybe slightly lighter in weight as portrait ground or worn down, but I would be happy with a coin like that as probably unique, congrats.

gregarious likes this.
  16. Ancient Aussie

That's one of the best I have seen of this type. Very nice indeed.

THCoins and Mikey Zee like this.
  17. Pellinore

Thanks, but please could you make clear to me what is unique about it? I bought it yesterday (for 5 bucks) because I don't have early Imperial countermarked coins that are so small, and the reverse has been preserved well. On the obverse are some ugly raised warts that intrigue me, probably the coin has been tampered with somehow in antiquity. Maybe the coin was countermarked because it was smallish and disfigured.

18. Ancient Aussie

What I mean't by unique is I have never seen the whole obverse cleaned of to add a countermark, on those particular type, so there would be a lot less of them than the normal As of Augustus.

Pellinore likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted