Alright JA, let's get organized, dammit.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Oct 9, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Let's see what's in this box, shall we?

001.JPG

Pics and attributions to follow.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Look there's a slab JA. Have fun. ;)

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

well, i feel much better about how my coin collection is organized now. :woot:

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. John Anthony

One slab has a 1982 Lincoln cent, for my small US cent collection. Now, this is how a collector of ancients collects modern coins. I bought this cent because 1982 was the first year they went to copper-plated zinc, or steel, or whatever it is, and the plating process was not perfected. So occasionally you find these third-world coins with lots of bubbles on the surface - air between the core and plating. This one was the bubbliest I could find...

002.JPG

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Disorganized and a 'slab' ???? :eek:

What would Steve say????:mad:

But it does look a lot like my former collection and a tad like my newest return to 'obsolete US coinage' LOL :D

JA, that's my kind of interest in moderns these days: 'oddities' and an example of types (USA) for interest and variation---not to mention cheap:smug:

Alegandron likes this.
  7. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I think I still have spare change from the last time I visited the States. I gotta locate it and see maybe there's something collectible there. A rare date or something...

8. John Anthony

Good grief. What have I done?

Jwt708 and dougsmit like this.
  9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

LOL:facepalm:

I bet you sorta feel like Darth Vader without his helmet on:stop:

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Right there with ya, buddy. I should take the rest of the year to organize my existing coins, read their history, make nice writeups, etc... rather than buying more coins for the pile.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I like the idea of going through the box online. I had talked about something kind of similar, but with a video camera. Grab a bunch of boxes from the SDB and videotape me going through them.

Aidan_() likes this.
  12. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

That's an idea, but JA would have to through them in one take... :D

13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

There's a little box of fun right there.

14. John Anthony

Ok, here's a start. I posted the seller's image of this coin last month, and fortunately THCoins was able to verify the attribution, as I don't own GH. So: images check, attribution verified check, added to database check, added to FORVM gallery check, flip slip check.

mauryan square 500.jpg mauryan square hand 500.jpg

India, Maurya, time of Ashoka and his successors.
    AR Karshapana, 10 x 13 mm, 3.46g; c. 270-175 BC.
    Obv.: Five official punches.
    Rev.: Railed tree punch.
    Reference: GH 582 (Series VIb).

Okidoki, dlhill132, Orfew and 8 others like this.
  15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice, keep going.

16. John Anthony

Ok, well I cracked out my fourée Lincoln cent. Zoom in on the bubbles!

1982 cent.jpg

Should I post it on FORVM, lol?

dlhill132, Alegandron, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I suspect many of us have a 'box'. My box has been changed before but not for about 30 years now so it is time judging from the split corner. Much of the contents has been with me since I stopped actively collecting US in the 60's. There are no ancients in the box unless you count some of the cash.
    IMG_3547.JPG
    I have a different box for ancients but it is too organized for this thread.
    Every so often I throw in something and even prove I can't take photos of moderns comfortably. Ancients are easier.
    0cent.jpg

18. John Anthony

The 2009 Lincoln commemoratives are my favorites from the series. You imaged that coin much better than I did mine. They're just too damn shiny.

2009small.jpg

19. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Surprisingly I don't have any unorganized areas of coins, comics, or even toys. Everything is in it's proper place. I dislike things that are not organized.

I was taught early on to be that way, my parents are that way. I would be reprimanded or worse if I had stuff laying around or unorganized. It was an interesting childhood in that respect.

Paid off though when I sold alot of stuff and they were in excellent condition.:cool:

Alegandron and John Anthony like this.
  20. John Anthony

Well so do I, hence this thread. :)

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  21. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

I guess we all have a box like that. Mine, I call it "Dumb Box" (as in: not wise buys/no knowledge to get from them).

From time to time I tell myself I should get it organized, but I don´t move on from that.:sorry:

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted