Almost Uncirculated Pennies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by zachattack, Apr 24, 2018.

1. zachattack

zachattack Member

I have some real nice looking pennies. Almost Uncirculated. I was wondering if these pennies could be worth a little cash and where should I sell them?

1983 D
    1968 S
    1962 D
    1962 D
    1982 Large Date
    1982 Small Date
    1982 Large Date
    1971 S
    1982 Small Date Copper
    1993 CAM Weird Toning ( Almost Bronze )

The 2 2018 pennies are in really good condition. One almost looks like a proof.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

All are common and worth face value.

*coins, Stevearino and Ericred like this.
  4. zachattack

zachattack Member

I won't be able to get a couple of bucks for them as they are in really new condition. Buyers won't pay for it? @NLL

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

IMO, they're not worth the expense of selling.

*coins, Spark1951, Stevearino and 2 others like this.
  6. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

They can easily be plucked from circulation for face value so no you won't be able to get a couple bucks for them. Also pictures might help however there is no real market for AU common coins.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

May I ask how you managed to acquire the coins?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but my guess is that you pulled them from circulation. If so, ask yourself why someone would be willing to pay what would amount to a very substantial premium over face for coins that they too could pull from circulation. Varieties and/or errors are one thing - even in cases when pulled from the wild not everyone can and/or is willing to search them out, plus there's no guarantee one will find a coin that interests them - but perfectly common cents that very well may be nicer than average simply do not warrant any premium. The one exception would be misrepresenting them in order to burn the uninitiated, and is something I'm sure you've no desire to do.

That said, this doesn't mean they're not perfectly collectible if you like them. When it comes to what coins (or anything else) one collects, there simply is no right or wrong.

Stevearino likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Look on e-bay

9. BooksB4Coins

Sold listings only.... ;)

*coins, Stevearino and Kentucky like this.
  10. Kentucky

yes

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

These moderns are mass produced. It's rare to get one worth more than face value.
    You want old, rare and good conditioned coins.

12. BooksB4Coins

When someone suggests eBay without mentioning sold listings, all I can think of is good old Redwin. Just imagine how many folks with vice-job dimes he must've sent into cardiac arrest. ;)

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Kentucky

OMG

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@zachattack These dates are readily available by the uncirculated roll, so you aren't going to find a dealer interested in circulated examples, even if they look nice. As others have said, your group is worth 13 cents

I would recommend that you keep them and start looking for other dates in nice condition. It would be a start of a nice collection.

Contrary to what the "Find valuable stuff in change" books and youtube clickbait videos say, finding valuable coins in change is truly a rare event. Heck, it's even rare to find something that's worth more than a buck. Your key to finding something valuable is knowledge and a little luck

Stevearino likes this.
  15. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

To me, trying to sell those pennies does not make cents.

16. Kentucky

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

Cheech9712 likes this.
  17. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Keeping these types of coins help you build a collection, not make you rich. Keep in mind that if you have these and keep them for 50 years, you are betting that everyone else will not be doing the same. So, when you try to sell them 50 years from now, everybody else who saved them will be selling them too. They are not going to be rare or scarce. That means their value will stay about the same for the next 50 years. Look at NGC or PCGS price guides for business strikes from the '60s and you will see how little they have appreciated. Doesn't mean they are not suitable to build a collection that a grandson would treasure. And along the way, you just might find a few special ones.

I know this may be a bubble buster for you, but modern, AU condition coins are being found from circulation and saved by the millions. Better grade coins are being bought and saved by the millions (every year, btw). The ones you have are not any more special than all the others.

Spark

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Almost.......

19. BooksB4Coins

Perhaps bicentennial halves would be a fine example for the OP. 42 years later, saved by the bucketload by everyone and their grandmother under the belief that they would "someday be worth a fortune", yet can quite easily be found in AU to MS to this day and at a rate much higher than other dates of the era.

20. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I'd give you 15 cents if you include free shipping ?

Imagine that, 2018 cents that look like they've been freshly minted ?!?!
    here's my pocket change right now
    F561BCFA-0490-4445-8F87-284A70A1D679.jpeg

21. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Sell them on E-Bay. There are quite a few people that sell stuff like this. Put them up for auction starting at $0.01 with some postage. You know, like, $5.00. Expedited shipping in an envelope with a forever stamp. The rabid E-Bayer cannot help themselves and will bid on any auction starting at one cent.:cigar:

I'd start the bidding on the 1993 CAM monster toner at $0.99. E-Bayers love their toned coins. Don't forget the $5.00 postage on this heavy hitter.:wideyed:

I'd also suggest putting the coins in those white 2 inch by 2 inch cardboard coin holders. Label the holder with something like BU ++++. Or in the case of your 2018 cent, PL++++. That usually sucks the buyers in. With that kind of subliminal advertising the starry eyed E-Bayer only sees shiny coins.:hungry:

*coins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted