Almost there!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Nathan401, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Today I got my 1917s obv. I paid about a dollar over melt, it's a hole filler, probably wouldn't even make FR2. Regardless, I'm super excited and the countdown is on! Only 3 more to go!!! I'm missing only 1916p, 1921p, and 1921d. This was one of many Whitman sets that were started by my wife's Grandfather over 50 years ago. I'd imagine they were all pulled from pocket change over the years. My wife and I received this series with around half of the holes empty. The last three are going to cost me. :writer:;):) 20160928_195753-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Congrats Nate.......brings me back to my youth when we picked stuff out of the change and were just happy to get a certain date and mint mark. :) Really nice set you and the wife have going there........:)

Nathan401 likes this.
  4. Nathan401

This 36s has been in here so long, the words from the folder over Whitman page has toned onto the coin. Or more accurately, the rest of the coin toned, the spot under the letters have not. 20160928_201507-1.jpg

5. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Well done. I'm working on the same set and down to the 1921 and the 1921-D. I just got the 1916-S this week. I'm getting a little more picky on the quality these days and I'm looking for at least VF20. It gets pricy on the 21 coins.

Nathan401 likes this.
  6. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

My 1921 ones are all in slabs. Every once in a while I'm inclined to crack them out but I always talk myself out of it.

Nathan401 and green18 like this.
  7. Yankee42

I've seen that before. Neat.

Nathan401 likes this.
  8. Yankee42

The 21-S must have been very expensive.

9. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It should have been but I got one for $44 with a scratch on the obverse. It has a nice look but the damage isn't helping it.

10. Nathan401

My Whitman was lucky enough to come with a 21s already installed!! And a 16d! I'm looking for cheaper examples like you just described. Someday I can upgrade, or better yet, one of the kids will!

11. Nathan401

It's so cool. I have several like this in the folder.

12. Eric White

Eric White Active Member

Congrats, that is cool. I hope to get my collection so near completion one day.

Nathan401 likes this.
  13. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

All I'm missing for my Walker set is the 21 and 21d. Hopefully I can get them with my Xmas money.

Nathan401 likes this.
  14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Cool almost there! I've got one complete set and a second that's mostly complete. Been thinking about parting out the second, why have two. Not sure I have the ones you need though as I haven't looked at them in a while

15. Nathan401

A neat little story getting the 1916s, Ebay pics were TERRIBLE!! super fuzzy. Completely out of focus, and the seller had mostly antique household items, very few coins. The listing said 1916P. The condition was worse than awfull, but it looked like a mm on the front of that coin. Or was it dirt/scratch/smudge, I don't know. I took a chance. At less than melt value and I won. It was a 1916s.

16. Nathan401

I've told this story here before. Apologies, I got into this hobby recently, the excitement is completely new to me.

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That is one neat collection!!!!!

Nathan401 likes this.
  18. Nathan401

Thanks everyone!! My photography skills are nill, but if I knew what I was doing, you would be able to see all the really cool toning on the coins that have sat in this Whitman for many decades. I don't know how to describe it correctly... it's not what you would ever call "rainbow toned", but there are many colors shimmering all over this tan, brownish toning. Looks like a dark honey color that when you move it back and forth to the light, all kinds of cool colors flash out.

19. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Very nice collection!!!! Gratz!!!! ;)

Nathan401 likes this.
  20. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Very well done! The early Walkers are hard to find and get pricey. Best of luck finishing it up and enjoy your favorite beverage once complete!

Nathan401 likes this.
  21. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

And hold on to that feeling!

Nathan401 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted