Almost Certain eBay Coin Is Fake. Seller Says It Isn't. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinman1234, Nov 16, 2018.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I bought this coin on Monday off of eBay. First off, the seller used the wrong photos in listing, the photo of another three pence he was selling. Second off, the photos were horrible anyway. I bought this coin for $22, thinking I was getting a good deal on a nice George II three pence. I got it today, and noticed that it was a different coin than the photo, and noticed something looked a little bit "off" about it. I compared it to the fakes being sold on the well known Chinese counterfeit website, and found it nearly identical. I told the seller my concerns, attached links to identical copies being sold elsewhere. His response was that it is "real and rare", and that I can return it if I really want to. I asked if he will pay for shipping, but he has replied yet. Should I contact eBay now, and tell them that he is selling this coin as a genuine coin. If he doesn't offer to pay for return shipping, what should I do? Does this seller deserve a negative feedback? Does anybody else have experience with a seller like this.
    DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0015.JPG coin.png

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Just return it but select not as described so the seller has to pay the shipping costs. Normally I'd give someone the benefit of doubt, but seeing as they sent you a completely different coin anyways that's enough to return via SNAD

4. coinman1234

Thanks! You would agree that is 100% fake too based on the photos, right?

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't understand something. So the third picture you provide is the sellers listing?
    It states "Coinage Copy Coin"

ominus1, Insider and coinman1234 like this.
  6. coinman1234

The third photo is a photo from a site selling a counterfeit that looks identical to the coin I bought. First two photos are the coin I bought off of eBay. I sent the third photo to the seller, as proof it is a counterfeit, but he didn't believe it.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

counterfeits are made to look like the original. The fact that yours looks like a counterfeit doesn't mean it's not authentic. Is the seller highly regarded or a random ebayer?

I don't know how expensive that coin is but if it's a lot I'd recommend avoiding expensive raw coins that you aren't comfortable authenticating in the future, that's asking for trouble unless it's from a respected dealer.

If it's real it's a nice looking coin but can't help in that regard unfortunately.

jtlee321 and coinman1234 like this.
  8. coinman1234

Thanks for the reply, the seller isn't a coin dealer, and hasn't sold much. Here are a couple real coins coin2.jpg that I compared it to (photos from internet).
    [​IMG]

ominus1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted