Allectus bargain just arrived

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thejewk, Apr 17, 2020.

1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

A couple of days ago I was doing my usual trawl through the many pages of coins on ebay, and came across an entry for a coin of Allectus, a person high on my wishlist, with a terrible photograph and very little interest. After pondering it for a while I decided to throw a bid in and see what happened, knowing that I could be getting a dud, but also aware that I could attribute the piece from the pictures and that it would be welcome in my collection even if it was as rough as it potentially could have been. I was successful with a comical total cost of £23.56, and sat back expecting a long wait.

This afternoon it plopped through the letter box, and after a very quick once over to see how stubborn the soil deposits on it were, I couldn't resist snapping a quick picture.

Allectus Laetitia.jpg RIC 22
    IMP C ALLECTVS PF AVG
    LAETITIA AVG - Laetitia, draped, standing left, holding wreath in right hand and anchor or baton in left hand
    S/A//ML - London
    21mm, 4.46g
    Found by a detectorist in Sibley Hill, Wiltshire

It has a beautiful thick green patina, a fair amount of honest wear, but overall it will be very attractive when it is properly cleaned up.

Share your coins that were a gamble that paid off, your coins of Allectus, or any other usurpers you may have.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I paid $27 for mine.

Yours is better.

[​IMG]
    Allectus (293 - 296 A.D.)
    Billon antoninianus
    O: IMP C ALLECTVS P F AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: PROVIDENTIA AVG, Providentia standing left, globe in right hand, cornucopia in left hand, S in left field, P in right field, ML in exergue.
    Londinium (London, England) mint
    21mm
    2.52g
    RIC V-2 36

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great find! Very attractive.

BLACK and TAN:

RI Allectus 293-296 CE AE Ant PAX.jpg
    RI Allectus 293-296 CE AE Ant PAX

5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

thejewk, Nice score :D! Knowing the detectorist & where it came from gives it importance ;).

thejewk likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I got this Macrianus for a relatively low price...

Macrianus, A.D. 260-261

Type: AE antoninianus, 22 mm 3.1 grams, Antioch mint.

Obverse: IMP C FVL MACRIANVS P F AVG, radiate cuirassed bust right

Reverse: APOLINI CONSERVA, Apollo standing left holding branch and resting hand on lyre set on a low column.

Reference: RIC 6; RSC 2; Sear 10799.

macrianus1.jpg

macrianus2.jpg

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I don't know what I paid for this Allectus, but I hope it wasn't very much!!!!
    Allectus1.jpg
    ALLECTUS
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP C ALLECTVS P F AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: VIRTVS AVG, galley rowing left, QC in ex.
    Struck at Camulodunum 293-6 AD
    1.2g, 16mm
    RIC 128

8. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

@thejewk how will you clean it? Do you have a personal process?

9. thejewk

Using wooden toothpicks, and Andre's Pencils, along with cotton buds, distilled water and a magnifier.

For coins with good patina and where the material is just impacted soil of one sort or another, you can often get by with using the abrasive pencils that come in the Andre set to gently agitate the soil, being careful not to continue rubbing through the dirt and into the surface of the coins. When working around fine details, I use the brass chisel end pencil. For the finest details, regardless of what people say about not using anything harder than the material of the coin itself, you have to use a sharp implement and a very steady hand.

I usually stop somewhat before what someone might classify as fully cleaned, as I would rather have a few stubborn spots I can work on when I have more experience and better tools than a scratched patina.

I use a light toothbrush to brush away the dust if that is appropriate, in some cases I find I have to use a rinse in distilled water followed by a paper towel or cotton buds to pick up the muck.

10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Hmmm. Most coins of Allectus go for between $250 and $900 or so in very fine condition - so you got quite a deal I'm sure.

Johnnie Black and thejewk like this.
  11. thejewk

Further to what I wrote above about cleaning:

The things I describe are only suitable in my experience for the kinds of coins you get from detectorists in stray field finds. They coins you get often in 'uncleaned lots' are the worst of the worst for thick, black much that is more like concrete than what I am working with. For that sort of thing, I just won't bother after having tried once.

I am also looking for a professional coin cleaner in the UK to do a proper job on a couple of very rare pieces I have, but I have no luck in my search at all.

Johnnie Black likes this.
  12. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

Very nice Allectus @thejewk!
    The only ursurper in my collection:

[​IMG]
    Postumus 260-269
    AR Antoninianus
    struck 267 AD
    3,68g/23mm
    IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG
    bust of Postumus, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right
    MONETA AVG
    Moneta, draped, standing left, holding scales in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand.
    Ric 75

13. thejewk

14. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

This is my only Allectus. I can't explain it but I've always had an attraction for ships on coins...however I don't have the sea legs...(paid 33$)

9A743915-E091-4707-9A86-E205E641038A.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine was $77 in 2013 from a 'name' dealer not known for bargains but it is a common Pax and I suspect anything not Pax is in higher demand for Carausius and Allectus. I might note that coins of anything remotely British often sell for more in the UK than in the US. I avoided UK mint coins from UK sources for most of the last 20 years for this reason.
    rt3478bb3025.jpg

16. thejewk

To be perfectly honest, I think most coins of Carausius and Allectus being offered online by retailers are grotesquely overpriced in most cases, and I can't imagine many of them actually selling. The more common types are found with regularity by detectorists as stray finds, and if you keep an eye on ebay UK you'll always find some available, and most coins in middling condition sell regularly at auction for around £70 before fees.

Of course the nice ones and rarer types can be very expensive, and so far the efforts to catalogue them have been less than comprehensive. I am eagerly awaiting the new RIC volume by Sam Moorhead which will be featuring the coin in my avatar, but I have no idea when it will come out.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  17. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted