All opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by usmc60, Nov 16, 2017.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Hommer You are cordially invited to respond to my other thread
    https://www.cointalk.com/posts/2911909/
    You will find two additional photos, that I would like your opinion on.
    Any comments from other members would also be appreciated. USMC60

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

V. Kurt Bellman
    Sir I invite you to reply to my (yes) some rim burrs can be considered errors.
    Your opinion is appreciated, so please visit
    https://www.cointalk.com/posts/2911909/
    There is a photo there that I believe can be considered an error coin. USMC60
    PS Going by coin worlds definition it is considered a rollover rim burr.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

a) I've already answered.
    b) I just may be the only member here who cares even LESS about errors than Doug (@GDJMSP) does.
    c) Errors bore me, pretty much, unless they're RADICAL. Varieties are another matter.
    d) I'm up to my armpits deciding which holes in my 7070 Dansco that I'm targeting to fill with some material from an auction this Friday that is in such a remote location that THERE IS NO INTERNET THERE. (no signal at all - any carrier)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  5. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Shouldn't it be called a planchet after the rims are raised, and not a blank? That's rhetorical... though I'm wondering if all planchets are blanks, but not all blanks are planchets, which are different from "blank planchets" (where "blank" is coincidentally an adjective to describe the empty or blank side(s) of a planchet). Or did I misunderstand the terms?

6. V. Kurt Bellman

So the blank says to the planchet, "What's wrong? You look upset."

ldhair and Oldhoopster like this.
  7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

8. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Sir. I totally agree these are very insignificant.
    I guess I'm looking at it in a different way, I'm thinking about the individual who is just getting into collecting.
    Since these things are all around in coinage, I just feel it would be nice to know the right answers for some of these different styles of rim burrs.
    And sir once you really get into looking for information that is scattered all over the place.
    I just think it's nice that you can come to a site like CT and the professionals we have on this site. Help organize and recognize these varieties.

Like I call Them rim burrs Or laid over rim burrs, and a number member calls Them fins. And I know sir you do a lot of research and know the importance of having the right information.
    There's a lot more involved with your basic rim burr, actually the more research I'm doing the more confused I'm getting.

All I know is I think it would be nice to have a forum, That can help The new individual out and not confuse them anymore that he is already confused.

Sir it's understandable if you do not wish to participate. But I do consider your opinion valuable and important. Sir unlike yourself who has an extensive background.

I basically a nobody with no credibility. So I have to rely on whatever information I can find. And believe me a lot of it is conflicting information.
    All I'm trying to do is sort out some of these different rim burrs. USMC60

9. V. Kurt Bellman

Funny you should say that. I think new collectors who are obsessed by error coins are already confused from the get-go.

But you sell yourself short. As someone who apparently DOES care about errors, you are FAR AND AWAY a better source than I could ever be.

I want to be clear. @Fred Weinberg's table is a "must stop at" for me at every show. But I'm drawn by the radical things he has, not the stuff that I need to get out a high power glass to even see.

Do I go to Fred to buy? No so much, and I never interrupt a serious buyer. But what he shows is an education you literally can't get any other way.

10. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I can see I'm going to get in trouble again. Thank you for the compliment, but I have to disagree with you. I'm just a minnow in a pool of sharks.
    I see a discrepancy in a coin. I want to know how that discrepancy was made.
    If you haven't noticed a few members are quick to dish out the insults.
    But when it comes to them answering a problem, that someone that they just insulted as presented them. You remember the old saying exit stage right.
    That's what happens when you asked them for their opinion.
    If I want to read a textbook opinion about an error there are plenty of them out there what I'd like is a visual proof of their explanation.

Which it seems several members that like to complain, and quick to pass out the textbook info. But are short on backing that info .
    USMC60

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Okay, I think SOME burrs are collapsed fins, but most are not. There are several ways excess random metal can get between the dies and inside the collar, and finning is merely one method.

12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Sir I would very much like to believe what Hommer is stating and showing me, with the arrows he put on the photo.
    My problem is and I'm sure you can relate to this when you actually to try to find proof.
    In my case visual proof. Of a fin fold-over
    I found one other photo of a coin. I believe it was a 1937 D wheat cents.
    And it was being called a cud fin fold-over. And the other one I believe was farm coin community.
    So the next best thing I could do is look for certified finned coins.

I think you will like this link. When you go to the site you have to punch in the search box Van Buren's large finned rim coin to bring the coin up.I know I would not pay what he's asking for it. www.coin-rare.com

I guess the point I'm trying to make. Having a very difficult time Finding photos that match my coins, in the fin category.
    But now if you go to the images of rim burrs, you will find several that come close to mine. It could get a little complexing. And I don't know my eyes are getting worse as I get older. But from the photos that I see in say they are fin coins, look like collar strikes to me.
    This is why I would like to move to my other thread because we're getting into errors more. And some coins that I have picked out fall under the category of errors.

And plus it's a more appropriate of a title.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

I wish I could help, but I've never owned a finned coin; I've only ever seen them in pictures. Part of the reason is I won't buy a gold Merc dime or a palladium Eagle, two coins that rather famously have fins.

14. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

V. Kurt Bellman
    I understand completely you have a lot on your plate, and do not have time for something that is considered insignificant.
    Unfortunately my gold Merc dime.Basically had no flaws so I guess I'm out of luck there. USMC60

15. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Where is this auction at that there is no cell service? If it's the one in Ono, I know there is cell service.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

The one in Ono does, but not great. The one in southern York County does not. I made it to both today... somehow. I left the one in Ono after the dimes went up. I knew the quarters I wanted would go too high, and I couldn't care less about Morgan dollars and anything gold. The guy in southern York Co. mixes up the order, so anything can go late.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted