All NGC Peace Dollar registry sets updated on 5/18/2016? Whoa!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brett_in_Sacto, May 25, 2016.

1. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

My guess is an errant database migration script. Is everything else correct with your set?

4. Brett_in_Sacto

Everything is solid with my registry set, just shocked when I saw this to see who had updated lately.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

They could have just published a software update which "reset" the baseline date to that of the publication. All the same, I bet some "competitive" Registry collectors are panicking right now. :)

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Could they have updated the sets based on changes in the point values? They've been known to update the point values periodically based on changes in population (relative rarity).

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  7. Brett_in_Sacto

8. SuperDave

In truth, I think the "big one" already resides in your 1923-P. I would *dearly* love to see that coin, Top Pop from a year/mint when the emphasis was on volume instead of quality. You might be underestimating the importance of that coin; it's unlikely any better will surface.

9. Brett_in_Sacto

Oh, I'm not. But it truly was an impulse buy - at the last coin show in town no less.

I just decided I wasn't going home without it. Went and visited them 5 times that day to see it and debated making an offer. My ONLY regret is that they accepted my first offer - so I probably could have paid a bit less, but I know the market and it was fair.

There is ONE 1923-P MS68 listed on NGC's population report. For now it's just out of reach.

I'm still trying to find local help to photograph the collection - but here was my stab.

The 1934-S in high grade still eludes me, but I'm ever vigilant!

Here's the beauty - in all her...beauty... (And man is it a beauty!)

The strike is incredible, the reverse looks almost TOO good!

20160325_134047.jpg 20160325_134127.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  10. SuperDave

Holy crap. I discounted NGC Pop because I don't feel they're nearly as strict as PCGS above MS65, but even in imperfect images it's plain you own one of the finest remaining examples.

It could be improved upon. The usual peripheral weakness of LIBERTY exists (in small
    fashion) the hair is outstanding but not absolutely_complete, and some chatter exists between the rays above AR. The luster is stupid.

Your pics are good enough to see it damn well deserves the grade. What a terrific coin. You should be proud, and thank you for letting me see it.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. Brett_in_Sacto

You are too kind, thanks for the words of encouragement. There's a slight tick above the E in Liberty, and I haven't delved into it. The luster and strike made me buy one of the biggest impulses of my life. I have little regret - even after explaining it to the wife. :shame:

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted