Alexander's Ragtime Band

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kentucky, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

OK, OK, I've ordered more Alexander coins than I originally intended (seemed like a good idea at the time), but a solicitation in my e-mail for Alexander coins prompted me to look... Here is what I found: NGC drachm (not tetradrachm) $159 for this:
    fouree.jpg fouree 2.jpg

From the look of it, is this a fourree?

Bing, Luiz Frijia and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Possibly, you going to break it out?

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Not a Fourre. Just corroded with some surface flaking. It's silver in the holes, not bronze.

Barry Murphy

Kentucky, Mikey Zee and Pishpash like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Not worth $159 either.

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Me - I would pass.

Kentucky, Smojo and Mikey Zee like this.
  7. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Weight?

Kentucky likes this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Looks real ... but you could do better (it looks like it might have a wee bit of PVC problems from being stuck in that plastic-tomb?)

;)

... sorry, I couldn't resist (that "stuff" never gets old)

Kentucky, Smojo and Jwt708 like this.
  9. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Wow, I want one but I've passed on much better condition at around $70 plus shipping.
    Do us all a favor buy raw. All this buying slabbed is gonna do nothing but raise price tags. I can barely keep up now. My want list is rather large & growing.

Kentucky and chrsmat71 like this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

yeah, what everyone else said kentucky, you can get a nicer one for that price for sure.

Kentucky and TIF like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

@Kentucky... have you browsed Vcoins for Alexander III drachms? You'll find many which cost less (and in better condition) than the corroded and flaky example in the OP.

Ancientnoob and Kentucky like this.
  12. Kentucky

Thanks @TIF, I just saw this from a prompt in my e-mail. I would NEVER buy such a thing...well, if it were in the $1 junk box... No, I just saw it and thought it might be a fourree. I just got my latest Tet in, gotta take some pictures and show it off.

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thank you, that crap coin should have never been tombed let along have such a horrendous asking price.

There is a crusty tet for sale on here now that is cheaper and it's at least a tet.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/us-ancient-greek-and-chinese-coins-for-sale.285548/#post-2551359

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

@Kentucky I wasn't meaning to be anal. It's purely up to you your collection. Seriously glad you didn't buy it. I'd be like calling the kettle black most of us have overpaid before & wouldn't dog ya for that.
    I would for buying a slab though.

Kentucky likes this.
  15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The armies of Alexander the Great were greatly feared in their day, but there was one problem that they had that almost defeated them. Alexander could not get his people to staff meetings on time. He always held the meetings at 6:00PM each day after the day's battle was done, but frequently his generals either forgot or let the time slip up on them and missed the staff meeting. This angered Alexander very much, to say the least!

So he called in his research guys and set up a project to come up with a method of determining the time at 6:00PM each day. There were no clocks in those days, at least none that could be carried around. (The smallest was a giant water clock) "Find a way my staff can determine the hour of the day, or at least when it gets to be 6 o'clock!", he said, "Cost is no object."

A study was instituted and, with several brain-storming sessions, came up with the following idea. In a land some distance away, there grew a bush whose berries contained a type of dye that changed color at 6 each evening. They found that by dyeing strips of cloth and issuing them to the generals, they could see when it was 6 by the color change, and could get to the meetings on time. Needless to say this pleased Alexander very much.

It was then turned over to the marketing group to come up with a name of this new invention as Alexander saw definite market potential in the strips. "It can be worn on the wrist and can be easily watched for the color change", said one junior executive. "I therefore propose to call it the wrist watch." This name was immediately hooted down as being too bland and obvious. Another man suggested it be worn in the navel and could be observed by looking down, therefore it should called the Navel Observatory. This idea was rejected out of hand as being too weird and too technical sounding for the general public.

Finally the senior vice president, who up to now had been silent, spoke and rendered his decision. "We shall call it a Timeband, and in honor of the Great Alexander, it shall be known as 'Alexander's Rag Timeband!'

;)

http://www.ultimatecampresource.com/site/camp-activity/alexander-s-dilemma.html

Sallent, zumbly, FitzNigel and 2 others like this.
  16. Kentucky

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaao_Oo_Oo_O:):):):nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Much as I have wanted an Alex Tet, I would NEVER have bought that thing!

Smojo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted