Alexander's legacy

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Sep 3, 2018.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

@the professor.. There's a sestertius of Tiberius which figures a hexa style temple and is marked SC. It is listed under RIC 61 and Cohen 69. Try to check it there or at Wildwinds. You may also post a photo on this thread. Good Luck.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

@the professor, based on your limited description @7Calbrey is correct. You should probably start a new thread about the coin (with pictures) if you have more questions since the coin type isn't really relevant to this thread :).

Here's an example from CNG's archives:

[​IMG]

dlhill132 and Bing like this.
  4. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Christian passed away two months ago. There was an "in memorium" table with his name at the NYINC coin show in NYC last week. His old shop has been a "glass and mirror" place at least since the time I worked in Hawthorne in 1996. I met Christian at shows but did not start collecting in time to see his retail shop.

5. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

I purchased this years ago. Still one of my favorite coins. It was double struck. Does that mean its an octadrachm? :angelic:

Attached Files:

dlhill132 and Bing like this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Here's my Alexander's Ragtime Band of tets and drachs...
    IMG_0041.jpg IMG_0043.jpg

Alegandron, dlhill132, Bing and 2 others like this.
  7. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Punic tetradrachm struck at Entella, Sicily circa 300 - 289 BC. The coins minted at this time exhibit both Greek and Punic designs. These coins were, most probably, used to pay the Carthaginian army, composed of mercenaries from all over the Classical world. On later coins, a horse standing or in action, with a palm tree in the background reverse was transformed to show only the head and neck of the horse with a comparatively small palm tree in the field behind. The obverse type is the head of young Heracles wearing the scalp of the Nemean lion, which must have been borrowed from tetradrachms of Alexander III the Great. Furthermore, when the Punic people saw the head of Heracles, they no doubt saw it as a mirror image of their own mythological hero, Melqart. The reverse though, with the national emblem of Carthage, the horse's head, palm tree and Phoenician letters, is entirely Punic in character. The two main variations of this coin ("quaestors" issues and "people of the camp" issues) were probably issued concurrently and from the same location, although the reasons are cloudy. Like closely related Hebrew, Punic was a Semitic language written without vowels, so we must guess how words were pronounced.
    According to Stephanus, Carthage was also called KAKKABH, a word that in Punic means 'the head of a horse’.

16.90 g, 22 x 24 mm;
    Entella, Sicily circa 300 - 289 BC.
    Ref.: Dewing 983; Jenkins Punic IV, Series 5b, Plate 6, 330 ; See Jenkins, “Coins of Punic Sicily”, Part 4
    Obverse: Alexander the Great as Melqart/Herakles facing right wearing the Nemean lion skin knotted around neck, horns curling around his ears
    Reverse: Horse's head facing left, club in front, and palm tree behind. The Punic legend below ‘mhsbm’ means "Paymaster" or "Quaestor"
    #37-IMG_4874.jpg #37-IMG_4875.jpg

8. the professor

the professor New Member

IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0342.JPG IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0342.JPG IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0341.JPG IMG_0341.JPG ALOHA...and thanks! I now know not to let my pre-teen grandson drill a hole in the coin to make a necklace...he thought it was way cool! Because I'm in my golden years and downsizing in a huge way, any suggestions on how to best market or sell this coin, would be appreciated

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

How big is the collection you are looking to sell? There are a few dealers that participate on this forum, but just about any of the dealers on Vcoins may be interested. BTW, I have one coin that was formerly owned by Christian Blom. The provenance of this coin can be traced back to John Quincy Adams. Lot 785 of the John Quincy Adams sale (Stacks, 1971) purchased by Christian Blom. Chris sold it to Mendel Peterson of the Smithsonian Institution (it comes with his tag) who sold it to Gene Brandenberg, Trojan Antiques.
    Vespasian 10.jpg
    Vespasian
    Æ Dupondius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES VESP AVG P M T P COS V CENS, radiate head left
    REVERSE: FELICITAS PVBLICA S-C, Felicitas standing facing, head left, holding caduceus & cornucopiae
    Struck at Rome, 74AD
    10.2g, 28mm
    RIC 716, (RIC [1962] 555), Cohen 152, BMC 698
    Ex: J.Q. Adams

10. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted