Alexander's legacy

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Sep 3, 2018.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Lifetime issue. The following Tet has Nike on left field of reverse. Price 3038. AlexLife O       Price3038.JPG AlexL R            Monog ANI.JPG

dlhill132, panzerman, Bing and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

Similar to the Tet of Temnos which I posted on page one of this thread, the coin here under seems an upgrade. The obverse is much more three-dimensional than the reverse. It weighs 16.45 g. The grapes look bigger and more delicious. I just scanned it quickly even before cleaning. Hope it's a fair one. AlxGrape R.jpg AlxGraps O.jpg

dlhill132, panzerman, Bing and 5 others like this.
  4. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

My bucket list coin! This was one I wanted more than any other.

KINGS OF MACEDON
    Alexander III “The Great” 336-323 BC
    AR Tetradrachm, 28mm, 17.1g, 6h; Babylon mint, lifetime issue, 325-323 BC
    Obv.: Head of Herackles right, wearing lion skin.
    Rev.: Zeus Aetophoros seated left; in left field astragalos, above M; monogram below throne.
    Reference: Price 3611.

Alexander.jpeg

(Near to the east, in the time of ancient Greece, in an ancient land called Macedonia was born a son, to Phillip of Macedon, the legend his name was Alexander.....)

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Seleukos I Nikator.png
    SELEUKID EMPIRE. Seleukos I Nikator. 312-281 BC. AR Tetradrachm (27.5mm, 17.02 g, 4h). In the name and types of Alexander III of Macedon. Babylon II mint. Struck circa 311-300 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; in left field, anchor and monogram; M below throne.

dlhill132, zumbly, panzerman and 4 others like this.
  6. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

I found a drachm from Sardes deoicted as being struck under Menander. I could find no Menander amongst the diadoques of Alexander. Could anybody help me ? image.jpeg

7. 7Calbrey

Menander was a Greek king who ruled in the second century B.C. He reigned in parts of India, currently known as Northern Pakistan. But his kingdom also stretched to Afghanistan.

panzerman likes this.
  8. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I think in this case the Menander being referenced is the Greek general that served under Alexander and was appointed to govern Lydia. I think he also served under Antigonus and died fighting Eumenes.

The drachms of the Indo-Greek king Menander I Soter are of completely different styles, usually with the bust of the king on the obverse and Athena on the reverse. Here is an example.
    Menander I Soter .jpg

9. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

IMG_2050.jpg My posthumous tet, from Aka. I do not know what its "story" is, and would like to learn if someone has any insight about this issue.

Purchased from David Welsh in 2004 for $160. One of my first coin purchases. David was very patient with my newbie questions that, in retrospect, might have seemed a bit offensive. I think I basically asked him, "Is this coin worth your price?" :meh:

I love the coin and its distinctive eye.

It was struck ca. 310 BC at Aka. Wiki says the striking city of Aka was also known as “Ptolemais" in Phoenicia (or “Akko” in Phoenician language, and “Ake” or “Akre”) and later in the Middle Ages was famous as “Acre.” The city is referenced in Acts 21:7.

10. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I think Alabanda tets are some of the most attractive posthumus examples. I love the large flans, the artwork, and who doesnt love Pegasus? However, choosing just one or two examples is impossible for those who look closely at the coinage. But then again, we all see different things in coins. So many styles to choose from, locations, dates, well, any reason at all. The example below is one of my favorites for a couple reasons. It was minted the same year (or before) of his death. It was minted in the city of his death. It also shows details that clearly outline that some dies were far larger than the flans they were struck on:

107984LG.jpg

Kingdom of Macedonia, Alexander III, The Great, 336 – 323 BC
    Silver Tetradrachm, Babylon Mint, struck circa 324/323 BC, 25mm, 17.05 grams

Obverse: Head of Herakles right wearing lions skin.
    Reverse: ALEXANDPOY, Zeus enthroned left holding eagle and scepter, Nike flying left holding wreath in left field, monogram beneath throne, M below.

References:
    Price 3625

Cost:
    $400

Provenance:
    Triskeles Auctions #325, June 2017, Lot 134.

11. 7Calbrey

Here's a much better photo of the Temnos Tet weighing 16.45 g. I found out that the digital camera seems better than the I Phone, especially that the effort made to produce the image is almost the same. AlxPlane O.JPG AlxdPln R.JPG

12. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

There are many interesting things about these "common" coins. One is the endless varieties from different regions and also the variations of style. One could collect only masterpieces of Alexandrian tetradrachms, and have a large collection with enough money. I haven't any masterpieces but here are a couple that are nice:
    AlexanderAmphipolus.jpg
    Amphipolis - Really dramatic style obverse
    AlexanderTetradrachmMessembria.jpg
    A broad flan later issue from Messembria.

13. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Hey Pierre,
    Your coin has nothing to do with Menander.
    I have Price's book and identify it as Price 2571 from Sardes (with a "rose" below the throne). He discusses dates of surrounding coins but is not entirely clear about the date of this specific ID number. Reading page 320 I think he would call it "late lifetime." which he dates to 334-33 BC (i.e. lifetime). "The awkward the-quarter view of he legs of Zeus is also [compared to another issue explicitly dated c. 325/4] found on the late lifetime issues."

14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Here is one of mine:happy:
    Kingdom of Thrace
    AV Stater ND 8.89g./ 21mm.
    Struck under Lysimachus 305-281AD f26568ec5fcd53a7b95a38d529d04098.jpg

15. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Alexander borrowed heavily from existing coins to come up with his now-iconic design.

Here's a pre-Alexander anonymous obol of Cilicia, featuring basically the same Herakles in lion scalp:
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-QpRwA3TfO8q7fMd.jpg

The image of seated Zeus was based on seated Baal (obol of Pharnabazos, 380-74 BC)
    Cilicia obol Pharnabazos baaltars.jpg

I've got a few favorite Alexander-type coins!

Lifetime tetradrachm of Tarsus, Price 3027
    Alexander III tet Tarsus Price 3027.jpg

His big brother, Philip III, Sardes mint
    Philip iii drachm sardes price p104 bee.jpg

Posthumous issue drachm of Antigonus I Monophthalmus Alexander III drachm Price 1980 Antigonus I.jpg

Danbue celts tetradrachm, copying Alexander or Philip
    Danbue celt tet Philip III.jpg

The Alexander type fizzled out a whIle after the Roman takeover, but elements could still be found 500 years later:
    20171204_Aurelius-Denarius-Jupiter-Seated.jpg

16. Meander

Meander Well-Known Member

Same reference as the OP coin (Price 1690) but different dies. BABBEA9B-B051-4203-9978-40C8F27243C1.jpeg

17. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Nice posthumous Alexanders all !
    To diverge a bit i though i'd show a bit later relic of the legacy of Alexander the Great. Below is a Bull and Horseman Jital issued under Ala-al-Din Muhammad Khwarezmshah (ca 1200-20AD).
    T241W.jpg
    Now what has this to do with Alexander the Great ?
    Well, Ala-ud-Din had a high esteem of himself. One of the titles he adorned himself with was "Iskandar al-Thani". This title is also partially visible in Arab script in front of the bull's chest here. And "Iskander al-Thani" means nothing else than "Alexander the Second". This humble coin illustrates that the reputation of Alexander the Great then already held a place in peoples imagination for 1500 years.

dlhill132, dougsmit, 7Calbrey and 4 others like this.
  18. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

What a gorgeous piece! Show that to a civilian and they will be impressed. I am!

Severus Alexander and Meander like this.
  19. the professor

the professor New Member

I have a roman coin that I bought from a Christian Blom at 10 Broadway Hawthorne New York it is a TIBERIUS 14-37 SESTERTIUS front view of a hexa style temple SC c.69 -85-or what do I have ? [moderator edit - please do not post your contact details publicly. Use PM if required]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019
  20. the professor

the professor New Member

WOW! ok I need help! this is one of the best forums I have seen on an internet- my experience so far is with physics forums and they can be nasty- your group actually is helping each other in understanding. OK this is where I need help- I purchased a roman coin from Christian Blom at 10 Broadway- Hawthorne New York many light years ago- and I still have no clue as to what I have-the package was hand written by Christian and states TIBERIUS 14-37 SESTERTIUS 35 HEXA STYLE TEMPLE ONE SIDE IS MARKED SC also on the coin package is c.69 85 OR it is not gold or silver but appears to have some gold specks-- the rest of the story is I live in western Colorado with no resource on Roman coins and the coin places I have talked with will not waste their time on one coin - I have scoured the INTERNET to no avail! If needed I can send photos. thx THE PROFESSOR

7Calbrey likes this.
  21. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

Well I only have the one Alexander but I don't yet HAVE it. 1 month on and still waiting for it in the mail... sigh

Tetradrachm Amphipolis Coin, Kingdom of Macedonia, Alexander III, Amphipolis AU(50-53)

[​IMG]

Grade: AU(50-53) | Abbreviations
    Material: Silver
    Weight: 17.11 g
    Diameter: 27.00 mm
    Coin, Kingdom of Macedonia, Alexander III, Tetradrachm, Amphipolis, AU(50-53),Kingdom of Macedonia, Alexander III, Tetradrachm, Amphipolis, struck by Antipater under Philip III, circa 322-320 BC, AU(50-53), Silver, Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin,Zeus seated left on low throne, holding long scepter in his left hand and eagle standing right with closed wings in his right; to left, bow in bowcase,BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPO

dlhill132, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted