Alexander The Great, Tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eng, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Its been a while since i posted a new coin, i got a new one last night at my club meeting. 41 people showed up and ate everything i made. i saw this coin at my last meeting but new it was out of my budget, o'well some much for buying coins for a while...:eek: I purchased a Turtle, it was on top of my want list, so there's nothing on my hot list. so i went to what i really don't need list. this coin jumped out at me, buy me buy me.

Alexander The Great..336-323 BC.
    Ar, Tetradrachm
    Obv. Head of Young Herekles right, clad in Lion's skin.
    Rev. Zeus Enthroned, Eagle and specter on right.
    25mm x 17.19g.
    Please post your Alexander or Zeus coins..

Denarius Alex Tet 003_opt (2).jpg
    Please don't tell me its fake, i do see flow lines and a few small cracks on the edge of the coin. i was also able to take off alot of this green stuff on obv. and all on Rev.i will put this back in my olive oil junk and try to get it all off.

Also my Ancient friend at the club showed me some new denarius. kind of spent a bunch, maybe next moth meeting.:)

Denarius Alex Tet 001_opt.jpg
    Denarius Alex Tet 002_opt.jpg

Alegandron, TIF, spirityoda and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Nice pick up Eng. 41 attendance is good, is your club specifically on ancients?

Eng likes this.
  4. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

The Boeing club is mainly a bunch of retired worker that collect US, World coins. My ancient guy travels for Boeing all over Europe, Asia. so when he's there he picks up new stuff, Ancient and World coins, most of what he sells is US. but he always has ancients and World coin with him.:)
    We have 102 members US wide, about 70 that come and go.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice stuff, I like the denarii best, lol.

Eng likes this.
  6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I was looking at one at Harlan Berks table at the ANA show , it was a little more than I had on me . I love that reverse . A turtle coin is another on my want list as is an owl . Nice pick up .

Eng likes this.
  7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Awesome.. Alexander the Chunky!!

Eng likes this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It certainly looks bold and beautiful! I wouldn't be able to say if it was fake or not on style - I know there are many different styles from different mints, and I haven't studied them. It certainly doesn't look cast - too sharp, but the fields looked a bit smoothed. I love the detail on the reverse, and although I'm not fond of obverses being struck off-center so as to crowd the profile, this one doesn't bother me.

Someday I'll get myself a nice tetradrachm of Alexander, once I've exhausted all the weird stuff. :)

Alegandron and Eng like this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

wonderful coin ENG! that reverse is SWEET. i'd love to see a side shot, a bet it looks sweet in high relief.

i have a drachm of philip iii.....

[​IMG]

thunder thighs!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alegandron, TIF, rzage and 4 others like this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Is that the Boeing club near Seattle?

Eng likes this.
  11. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

The coin had a hard dark green gunk on the Rev. from about 2 to 6 which i got most of it off. olive oil and brushing which why it looks like it may have been smoothed. on the Obv. covered all the Lion head cape and a lot of Herakles face, again i work on it last night and today before my post, which i think is why i got a good price for it, i think.:eek:
    Chris when i get some time i will post a side shoot of it, very high relief.
    Jwt yes the one and only, is near Seattle and we have a large show in Jan. and strike our own metal 1.5 oz silver, this year they are going to make a 1.5 oz. gold metal( which i'll show a picture when it made).

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweeeeeeet!! => nice coin-club-addition, brother Eng!!

Hey, I just returned from your neck-of-the-woods yesterday (*sigh*)

Man, the weather was gorgeous while we were there (great summer for you pups!!)

My Dad is still hangin' in there, so I was very pleased and amazed that this 92 year old dawg is still capable, stubborn and rockin' life!! (he's a star)

IMG_5050.JPG

Didn't get to dip-down into Washington State, but as you know => Victoria is basically the exact same thingy (water-water everywhere ... ocean, lakes and rain!!) ... it's awesome!!

IMG_4953.JPG

:rolleyes:

... a sweet photo taken from the BC Ferries

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

When I lived up there I always wanted to get involved...I would think about it, check their webpage and learn I just missed one...then I would forget about it...then I would think about it, check their website...and so on.

I had a feeling someone in that club might be able to point me in the direction of a McChord AFB token...wish I would have made it.
    :oops:

Eng likes this.
  14. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow Steve, Dad looks great, we miss you here, looks like you had a great time.has been a very busy couple weeks for me. i did get out a toss a line off the Coast around Westport about 30 miles off shore and pickup a couple King Salmon. there's no water in the rivers yet, lot of fish waiting to run up.

jwt. send me a picture of the token and i'll do my best to find it for you, we have a lot of token guys around.
    last years metal.
    New Ancients 5 27 15 013_opt.jpg
    New Ancients 5 27 15 014_opt.jpg

Two king Salmon in there mid teens, wieght.
    Bronze, coppers 009_opt (1).jpg

15. rzage

Amazing that the Greeks could get such a nice high relief , when we equipped with steam powered presses couldn't strike up the St. Gaudens or other high relief coins . Or maybe they really were produced by those pesky grey aliens that the alien guys say are responsible for all the ancients wonders . ;) JK .

Alegandron and Jwt708 like this.
  16. rzage

I used to work for Litton Precision Gear in Chicago , we made transmissions for Boeing . Mostly for the Apache series helicopters . Lots of respect for Boeing .

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well...you started it Eng! CV.jpg
    These are one of the aircraft I currently work.

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, sorry ... ummm, but before I get off the subject of my Dad and/or cool planes, he was a decorated WWII bomber pilot, flying one of these sweet ol' RCAF Lancaster bombers ...

Rockstar

Lancaster too.jpg Lancaster.jpg Lancaster III.jpg Lancaster IV.jpg

sorry to side-swipe, Eng (I get all nostalgic and goofy when I talk about my Pa)

Cyrrhus, Eng, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  19. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Eng, stevex6 and Jwt708 like this.
  20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice, Eng! That looks like a fun bunch of denarii too.

Eng likes this.
  21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

My other Boeing aircraft. First up, C-17. I like this jet.
    c-17.jpg

Currently working this old dog the KC-135. I believe our oldest model is a '58 or '59.
    135.jpg

And to keep this post somewhat legit...my only Alexander the Great. Not silver, not a tet but I love it!
    [​IMG]

TIF, Eng, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted