Alexander the Great Silver Drachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kanga, Jan 9, 2021.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Here's the Certificate of Authenticity:
    1. Does this certificate carry the same cachet as PCGS or NGC certifications?
    2. If so, how much is the coin worth. Yes, I know you'll need pictures to be more precise for valuation BUT I want to get at least a general idea of how much it MIGHT be worth.
    It's mounted in a frame which I don't want to destroy unless there is enough value.
    3. Further questions will follow IF it appears to have reasonable value (>$100).

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

The certificate can be emergency toilet paper if you ever run out. That's about what the paper is worth.

The coin is what matters.

ominus1, Shea19, Orielensis and 2 others like this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

No. And it would have to be a pretty cherry ATG drachm to sell for over $100.

ominus1 likes this.
  5. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

You’re right - although it’s fair to say that 2020 taught all of us how valuable toilet paper can become in virtually no time. Therefore, it seems reasonable to argue that this certificate might be a great investment.

If you’re asking about the coin, though, it’s impossible to say anything without seeing the piece in question.

ominus1, Ryro and svessien like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Read the reviews:
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/sadigh-gallery-and-ancient-art-new-york

A photo in the frame will not allow anyone to say that the item is genuine or allow an appraisal but quite likely will confirm that it is a tourist fake worth less than the frame. There are thousands of fakes but 90% of the ones we see are from a few originals and easily spotted from a poor photo. Post one.
    Mat is from California. Apparently things are different there. I never thought of using a coin as toilet paper but certificates of authenticity are softer.

7. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Sadigh is notorious for selling fakes

8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I was just going to say the same thing. In fact, they are the most notorious and flagrant dealer in fake antiquities I know of. There's probably not a single genuine item in their brick-and-mortar store, and it's a scandal that they haven't been shut down, long ago, for consumer fraud. I wasn't aware that they also sold coins, but can't believe any of them is worth a plugged nickel.

9. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Sorry to pile on here, but I got a good laugh when I saw a “certificate of authenticity” from Sadigh. He has a “gallery” a couple blocks away from the Empire State Building and makes his money selling fake Egyptian “artifacts” to tourists. Did not know he dabbles in coins too, but the guy is an absolute fraud. It’s amazing to me that he hasn’t been led out of his “gallery” in handcuffs yet.

10. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

I would disagree that a certificate of authenticity is toilet paper. It's part of the provenance, and so has a value - just not for verifying a coin is genuine.

This certificate, ironically, is very useful for verifying authenticity. You don't have to look far down the first page of a Google search to find out some interesting things about the Sadigh Gallery, which give a strong indication of the coin's authenticity.

Ouch: https://westbranchtimes.com/article.php?id=15693

The Sadigh website is particularly strange. The coins are all priced in very round numbers (no increments below $100) and none of the coins are attributed in any way (apart from 'Roman, 200AD'). The small, out-of-focus photos can be magnified but not by much, so you can't really see if the pitting is due to casting bubbles or not.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

You've gotten plenty of responses from some of CTs best. Sack up and share the coin.

Egry and ominus1 like this.
  12. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Just to chime in: A couple of years ago, I had a private message exchange with another CoinTalk member where we discussed some alleged Parthian coins being sold by Sadigh. The photos of those "Parthian" "coins" were some of the funniest things I'd seen in a while. Personally, I would not spend any money with that seller.

DonnaML and Broucheion like this.
  13. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

[​IMG]The Sadeigh gallery sells this "Ptolemaic" ankh as genuine for $5000. It is the crappiest piece of crud I have ever seen. No wonder the Pharaoh looks miffed. Yep Sadeigh is notorious how can anyone believe this crap defeats me-but a sucker is born every minute.

DonnaML, Parthicus, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  14. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Thanks, all.
    I wanted to know before I attempted to list it.
    I'm not surprised by your opinions.

I'll try and get some pictures.
    It always looked, at a minimum, to be cleaned to me, but I don't know ancients.

ominus1 likes this.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Here are four shekels he's offering for sale. He's got gold Judean revolt shekels too, if you've got a big budget.
    upload_2021-1-9_17-12-21.png
    upload_2021-1-9_17-12-32.png
    upload_2021-1-9_17-12-47.png
    upload_2021-1-9_17-12-59.png

16. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Sadigh is also the only seller I know of who has insider knowledge about the year Alexander ascended to the throne. Simple mortals believe it was in 336 BC.

Draft saved Draft deleted