Alexander the Great Silver Drachm - Really?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kanga, Jan 11, 2021.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Ancients are WAY out of my league.
    Does this look legitimate?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Sorry...Not to me..
    J.T.

dougsmit and John Conduitt like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Nor I.

dougsmit likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks cast. Among other signs, check out the reverse, from ~8:00 to ~11:00. There's a dotted border, then a line outside of that, then the edge of the coin. The may indicate a two-part mold, slightly offset, or just a bad impression of an authentic coin used to make the mold.

The usual disclaimer applies (<--not an expert :))

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

More of an expert that I am ;)

7. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Let me put it this way: It looks like something Sadigh Galleries would sell. [rimshot] Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week, be sure to tip your waitress.

8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Thanks, all.
    When I managed to get it out of its frame, the first thing I noticed was what appears to be a rim on the reverse.
    Like I said above "ancients are WAY out of my league" but I didn't think they used collars when minting coins back then.

This was a gift so I didn't lose any money on it.

DonnaML and ominus1 like this.
  9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..ba-doom-tish! :D

DonnaML likes this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...one should never lQQk a gift horse in the mouth......:angelic:

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If it were in a frame, that would make the edge look funky. How about a shot or two of the third side...the edge.

DonnaML likes this.
  12. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

If you really want a silver drachm of Alexander the Great, you can easily find one in similar condition to the fake one you posted for less than $100.

Keep in mind, though, that most of the silver coins issued in the name of Alexander were minted after his death, and there are many coins that are uncertain because they were initially issued during his lifetime and continued being issued after his death.

Definite lifetime issues are more expensive and harder to track down, but many do exist.

Deacon Ray and DonnaML like this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have two tets and two drachm that I have bought, each less than $100 and have posted here several times that members have agreed are authentic. BTW, all from Ebay.

Draft saved Draft deleted