Alexander the Great Drachms

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by britannia40, Oct 19, 2017.

1. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

randygeki and Deacon Ray like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I was just reading this in my email. They just look too shiny and cleaned for me.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A common variety drachm in a pleasing grade, like the ones pictured, can be obtained for around $150 at retail, and somewhat less at auction. And you don't even know what sort of coin you'll be getting from that outfit. It might be a very worn, damaged example worth $50. Run in the other direction.

5. Nathan401

I would never shell out that much dough for a grab-bag coin. For 350, I'd find the nicest Tetradrachm I could afford.

Deacon Ray and Curtisimo like this.
  6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Interesting ad! Thank you for posting it, @britannia40 ! Twelve years ago—it was an ad not unlike this one that lured me into purchasing my first ancient coins. The ad appeared in the back of a Biblical Archeology magazine. Authentic collection of ancient coins from the Holy Land, only $$$$.

I haven't been the same since!

20161128_191516.jpg

7. Deposito

Deposito New Member

Too bad, I like Martin Armstrong when I hear him talking, just like Peter Schiff, but when they are selling something, I feel like it is not a good deal. And, is it questionable to say Alexander III created a unified world money (for his world) based on a bunch of coins minted after he died, while his world empire was already divided into three rival empires? Aren't these drachms just the currency of the Macedonian empire as opposed to of the rival Selucid or Ptolemaic empires?

8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

For $350 and above you are starting to get into tetradrachm territory.

Svarog, Deacon Ray, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Deposito

Deposito New Member

Run a search on Numisbids or Sixbid for "Alexander III drachm" and there will be auctions closing all the time with actual lifetime issued Alexander the Great Drachms in at least VF condition if not better for under $220 with premium and shipping included. For example:
    https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=2220&lot=8

Posthumous ones are almost always cheaper because, obviously, Alexander the Great couldn't have put it in a pop machine himself

Deacon Ray likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There was a time many boys were introduced to collecting hobbies by ads in the back of Boy's Life magazine offering junk at several times its fair price (25 cent coins for a dollar). Perhaps they are thankful today because they were introduced to the hobby. I don't know. I came through the local coin store route where a kindly old man showed me coins and answered my questions. I am thankful to those men even though I remember none of their names. Will buyers of these $350 shiners feel than way in another 50 years? Time will tell.

Mikey Zee, Deacon Ray and Nathan401 like this.
  11. Nathan401

I just said that ;)

Sallent likes this.
  12. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Stunning coins but about 330 dollars out of my price range ;).

Deacon Ray likes this.
  13. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

actually i'm not buying one nor am I really interested in them. Just saw the add and figure the ancient folks might get some info out of it.

Deacon Ray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted