Alexander tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Tony1982, May 25, 2024.

1. Tony1982

Tony1982 Well-Known Member

Here’s my new purchase a nice posthumous tetradrachm
    Alexander III, 250-175 BC
    6B198D88-FDD7-46E7-BAAA-008AC74E24A6.jpeg
    Minted at Mesembria in Thrace

Obv: Head of Herakles, right, wearing lionskin headdress.

Rev: Zeus std. left, holding eagle and scepter; BASILEWS to

right, ALEXANDROY to left; Corinthian helmet in left field, ^-A beneath throne.

Weight 16.39 g

Diameter 33 mm

Price 1027

Karayotov | 70 (023/R79);

Although I’m happy with it somebody commented to me that they think
    It may be a forgery are there any experts on these to cast an eye over it ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tony1982

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I think it looks okay, but I don't pretend to be an expert in these coins.

Where did you get it?

Mine I know is fine.

alex.jpg
    Alexander III the Great (336 - 323 B.C.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    O: Head of Alexander as Hercules right, wearing lion-skin headdress.
    R: AΛEΞAN∆POY, Zeus enthroned left, right leg forward (archaic lifetime style), eagle in extended right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left hand, bow on left.
    Salamis mint, struck 332-323 B.C.
    16.95g
    25mm
    Price 3139 ; SNG Alpha Bank 662; Newell. Salamis 7.

Lifetime Issue

5. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@Mat What are the clues the coin gives that it is
    a lifetime issue?

6. Tony1982

Very nice , obviously authentic. I purchased from a dealer he says it’s been verified by Roma numismatics a certain Clementine Bowring ?

7. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

These coins were made after Herakles had let go of himself after settling down. The art does look weird when compared to the early tetradrachms, but I think yours is still genuine. I also like the large flan they used to strike these types.
    normal_Optimized-Temnos_tet.jpg

In name of Alexander III, Aeolis, Temnos mint
    ~188-170 BC, 35 mm, 15.2 g.
    Obv: Head of Heracles wearing lion skin headdress.
    Rev: Zeus Aëtophoros seated holding eagle and sceptre; monogram and E above knee, oinochoe within vine tendril at feet.
    Price 1676.

8. Tony1982

Haha yeah he does some to have put some weight on later in life ! , that’s a nice one as. I do like these larger sizes they are very nice in - hand

JayAg47 likes this.
  9. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

IMO, 2 straightened legs side by side is 'usually' a good indicator that the coin is. a lifetime mintage. This is not true in all cases but, as mentioned, a possible indicator.
    J.T.

tibor likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

upload_2024-5-27_10-48-57.png
    Makedon Alexander III Lifetime Tet Myriandrus mint-Alexandria near Issus

tibor, Tony1982, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  11. Kaleun96

Kaleun96 Well-Known Member

I believe this one is actually from Tarsos, likely Price 2999. The styles are similar for Tarsos and Myriandros but this one immediately struck me as being more "Tarsos" in style and I believe it's a double die match with this example of Price 2999.

12. Kaleun96

As mentioned by others, the parallel legs of Zeus is a clue but IMO it shouldn't serve as anything more than a starting point, I wouldn't make a determination about lifetime vs posthumous on the leg position alone.

Instead, you have to check the literature for that type to see what the current estimate for the minting date is. For most Alexander types, this is still Price's work from 1991 and you can check his attributions using the PELLA database that I linked above. His work is 30 years old at this point so some attributions are outdated (or were even wrong at the time) so you then have to check to see if there's any more recent research on those types or conflicting research from back when Price published his work.

Price dates the type with the bow in the left field from Salamis to 332-323 BC but he doesn't offer any specific evidence for that dating aside from noting they're likely linked to the gold staters that share the same symbol. Troxell may have written more about them since but I can't recall off the top of my head. Based on other aspects of the style, and when the other Cypriot mints were likely active, I'd say a date between 327-320 BC is most likely for that type. It's probably a lifetime type but I don't think there's any specific evidence to confirm it.

philologus_1 and tibor like this.
  13. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@Kaleun96 Thank you for the information. I would like
    to add a lifetime issue from the Great One. No not
    Jackie Gleason;)

14. Alegandron

Thank you VERY much! I have been struggling with this attribution for years. I appreciate the help!

15. Kaleun96

No problem! Price 2999 is actually quite cool since it's one of a handful of Alexander types with no apparent controls or symbols, and a lifetime type to boot. Most of the other "no symbol" types are posthumous so Price 2999 can sometimes fetch a little bit of a premium at auction over similar types from that period of Tarsos.

Alegandron likes this.
  16. Alegandron

UPDATE: truncated attribution -
    Makedon Alexander III Lifetime AR Tet 333-327 BCE, Tarsus, Herakles, Zeus seated, eagle right hnd, scepter, no symbol, PRICE 2999

Kaleun96 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted