Alexander III, Tetradrachm versus Obol

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jb_depew, Sep 25, 2019.

1. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Here are two coins of Alexander the Great: a lifetime tetradrachm struck in Tarsos and a tiny obol. I don't know if the obols are less common because there were less struck, or if they were just frequently lost and never found.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Side by side:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It seems there was not much of a break in mint activity between the time Tarsos was in Persian hands and when it was taken by Alexander, early in his reign. Zeus, on the reverse of Alexander's coin, bears a striking resemblance to Baaltars on earlier Persian staters.

[​IMG]
    Image link: Gorny & Mosch Geissener Munzhandlung.

My tetradrachm weighs in at 17.15g (29mm) and the obol at .43g (9mm)

When I bought the tet I was unsure about the stain, but it has grown on me. An ancient Cheeto smudge perhaps?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That tet is very nice and I love seeing coins together like yours are.

jb_depew likes this.
  4. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Alexander III Ar Tetradrachm Tarsos 327-323 B.C.
    Price 3032 HGC 910h. 17.06 grms 28 mm alexandert42.jpg This coin is from the second and much larger issue of coins struck at Tarsos. This issue is characterized by the symbol of a plough in the left field. This series is still considered to be issued during Alexander's lifetime however the presence of issues with the title Basileios which started in 322 B.C. would suggest that this issue continued to that year. it is likely that these coins are linked to the activities of Crateros in Cilicia.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Obols are not all that rare but we see fewer because dealers resist stocking coins that sell poorly. Good looking obols are less common than good looking tetradrachms because most are individual 'field' finds rather than 'bank vault' amphora where the coins are protected from the elements. This has either A or AP in the left field. Does that make it Byblos or Arados? It also has obverse damage that would be held against a tet but I tolerate because this is an obol. I suspect many of these were made and most were lost/used up in daily commerce.
    g92165bb3062.jpg

6. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Alexander III Av Quarter Stater Amphipolis Price 169 330-320 B.C. 2.13 grms 11 mm alexanderav5.jpeg This is my smallest coin of Alexander III

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Those are both fine coins, @jb_depew.

As far as the stain on the tetradrachm goes, if it is an “ancient Cheeto smudge,” perhaps some acetone would remove it. Acetone won’t do anything to an actual patina, but will dissolve away most organic gunk.

jb_depew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted