Alexander III Drachm Mint ID please?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by willkerrs, May 18, 2018.

1. willkerrs

willkerrs Active Member

I have here an Alexander III Drachm (almost certainly one that's been cleaned, right?), but I only know anything much about Roman Republican coinage. I'm trying to ascertain which mint this came from, but I can't really tell. The previous owner thought 'Abydos(?)'

What do people think?

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

TIF, Marsyas Mike, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I can't say for sure what mint it is. That being said, the control marks, especially the one in the left field, remind me of those seen on Seleukid tetradrachms and drachms. If I have a chance in the coming days I will dig through Seleucid Coins and let you know if I find anything.

4. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Andres2 and Ryro like this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Here is mine. I am pretty sure it is from the same place as yours...and wouldn't you know it, I have it listed as undetermined mint! Looking at the acsearch coins, I think that it is Abydos!!
    [​IMG]

TIF, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  6. willkerrs

willkerrs Active Member

Ah, it just looks like a slightly misshapen Abydos mark - thanks!

7. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

I pulled out my trust Price and it is Abydos, closest variety is 1534b. Now I can rest and put my eyes back into my sockets.

Fun coin, thanks for putting it out there. Price drachm varieties of Abydos is 1501a-1582. A lot of silver went out of there. Cheers!

TIF and willkerrs like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted