Album - German Commemoratives 1922-1957

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seba79, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

This is what the series looks like at the moment, the photos are not the best, in hand it looks much better.

Enjoy it !

20181115_124304.jpg 20181115_124310.jpg 20181115_124320.jpg 20181115_124332.jpg 20181115_124341.jpg 20181115_124358.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes, many of those silver coins were melted down. The Jaeger catalog has a list of how many pieces were turned in, but that is a summary by face value, regardless of the issue. As for the 3 RM coins from the Weimar Republic, they ceased to be legal tender in October 1934, and could be exchanged until the end of that year. Total issue volume (3 RM, regular and commems): about 90 million coins, turned in until mid-1937: about 88 million, remainder about 2.4 million.

My guess is that special coins such as those commems had a better chance of being kept than "mass" pieces. But keep in mind that the Dinkelsbühl coin is the 3 RM commem with the lowest mintage: Most of those coins have mintages in the six-digit range. The exceptions among the 3 RM pieces are ... quick check ... Tübingen Univ. 1927 (50,000), Dürer 1928 (50,000) and this Dinkelsbühl coin (40,000).

Christian

Seba79 and 7Calbrey like this.
  4. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the information Christian. Now, something that I would like to understand, those 88 million coins that were delivered until the middle of 1937, is the sum of coins that were melted down?

Thanks again, I enjoy that the series is to your liking.

In the past, there was a "partner" who didn't have much expectation or confidence that I could complete this series, or at least get closer. . . I think. . . It doesn't matter. ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    7Calbrey likes this.
  5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Of the Weimar Republic 3 RM coins, yes. Actually the Jaeger catalog merely says they were turned in, but obviously they were not simply stored then ...

And yes, I do find your collection interesting. When it comes to coins from the Germanies :) I focus on pieces from my country (Federal Republic of Germany). But of course coins from, say, the GDR (East G.), from the Deutsches Reich or the Holy Roman Empire countries are historically and numismatically attractive for me too.

As for completing that series, weeeellll ... it sure is a challenge. As you will know, some of these (especially the Weimar Rep. pieces) are hard to get or expensive. So had you said at some point, nah, that's it, I will stop at this or that point, then I would have thought, yep, it does take quite a bit of time and/or money. Well, you're almost there! :)

Christian

Bayern, Seba79 and 7Calbrey like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Great looking album.

Seba79 likes this.
  7. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

8. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the info Christian, in all this time, your comments have been of great contribution, sharing data that I do not know.

Bayern and chrisild like this.
  9. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

The Dinkelsbühl coin

20181130_114253.jpg 20181130_114323.jpg

10. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Hello! Another to the series, this time the Drei Reichsmark of 1927 "Nordhausen"

The obverse shows the royal couple Heinrich I. and Mathilde, divided by a helmeted eagle shield. The year above this is "927". The motif is framed by the typeface "JAHRTAUSENDFEIER DER REICHSSTADT NORDHAUSEN"; which means, "MILLENNIUM CELEBRATION OF THE CITY OF NORDHAUSEN", and the year 1927.
    The coin was coinage in Berlin, mintage 100,000 plus some in proof condition.

181116039bz.jpg

11. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Hello! Another to the series, this time the 3 Reichsmark of 1928 "Dürer"

After a long, long rest, and still waiting to receive the last coin, here is the newly acquired coin, the 3 RM of 1928.
    This type, struck only at Munich, is one of the scarcer Weimar commemoratives. The mintage was 50,000 coins. The obverse shows in a pearl circle the bust of Albrecht Dürer, surrounded by the legend "ALBRECHT DÜRER GEDENKJAHR", (ALBRECHT DÜRER MEMORIAL YEAR), and the year 1928 between two stars.

Screenshot_20190111-082832_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20190111-082836_eBay.jpg

Now, only 3 coins to the end... :)

ddddd, chrisild and Seattlite86 like this.
  12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very cool coin, congrats on getting closer to the finish line!

Seba79 likes this.
  13. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Alok Verma

Alok Verma Explorer

Thanks for showing such beautiful cons.

Seba79 likes this.
  15. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Thanks to you for the comments!
    I like that you and others enjoy them, and soon. . . or so I hope. . . we can see the finished series. Of course I would at some point like to include here the rare, scarce and expensive 5 RMs from 1932, commemorative of Goethe, but for now, one of these is out of my reach.

chrisild and Seattlite86 like this.
  16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Kind of strange that the coin merely says "Memorial Year", without referring to when Dürer was born and died. The piece was issued to commemorate the 400th anniversary of his death. The portrait was modeled after a medal that Hans Schwarz made in 1520, see here. (Search for "Sodom" on that page to see the piece. :) ) On the left is Schwarz's wooden model, on the right is the medal.

To commemorate the 500th anniversary of Dürer's birth, by the way, both the Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic issued collector coins in 1971. This time his monogram was used, in both cases, for the design ...

Christian

Bayern, Seattlite86 and Seba79 like this.
  17. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the info Christian! I like that you enjoy them.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Well, the postal service is in conflict with its workers, and shipments have been significantly delayed. Both coins, The Nordhausen and The Dürer coin are long overdue.

I'm still waiting for your arrival..

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Such a great group~ I only have a few of these coins so far (focusing more on pre-1700 coinage at the moment). In future when finances are better, will hope to add many more coins :)

Seba79 and Seattlite86 like this.
  20. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Well, after a long wait. . . today arrived one of the two coins that were on their way. The 3 Reichsmark from Nordhausen.

20190205_124045.jpg 20190205_124057.jpg

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Like. ;) This one is the only Weimar Republic commem, by the way, where the face value digit is placed so prominently. (Usually the "3" or "DREI" is part of the text along the rim.) And the eagle is almost hidden underneath Heinrich and Mathilde ...

Christian

Seba79 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted