Album - German Commemoratives 1922-1957

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seba79, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot Mad ! I have a few more on the way :)

Mad Stax likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

20170828_114437.jpg 20170828_114504.jpg Another here :)

chrisild and Mad Stax like this.
  4. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Hi boys, here is another on the way ! The 3 Reichsmark 1927, "400th Anniversary of Philipps University in Marburg"

00794q000.jpg

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Nice coin! That university in Marburg, by the way, is the world's oldest still existing "Lutheran founded" university. Established only ten years after the reformation ...

The CoA is not that of the city, by the way, nor the university's seal. It is a somewhat abstracted version of Landgrave Philipp I's seal, see here: http://regiowiki.hna.de/images/8/82/Philippstein-0283.jpg

Christian

Seba79 and Stevearino like this.
  6. Alok Verma

Alok Verma Explorer

Seba79 Thanks! It's a good collection.

Seba79 likes this.
  7. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! :) After a long time with no news, here are 3 more pieces !

1933a.jpg 1933b.jpg 20180303_193607.jpg 20180303_193633.jpg IMG-20170921-_WA0023.jpg IMG-20170921-_WA0024.jpg

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

9. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

The only post WWII is the Eichendorff 5 Mark.
    I do not look for coins in super high grades, neither "filled the holes" I try to complete the series with coins in normal conditions,
    some coins conditions better than others. . .

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Nice coins! Both the Lessing and the Luther coin were issued in two denominations (Lessing 3 and 5 RM, Luther 2 and 5 RM). What is interesting about the font used for the Luther pieces is that in Fraktur typefaces (which the nazis initially preferred) the word "Deutsches" should have been written with a long s after the t. The designer argued that this was a matter of artistic license.

The Germanisches Museum piece is the very first commemorative coin issued by this country. Its "image side", the one that does not have the country name and face value, shows an old fibula or brooch from the 5th (?) century, one of the exhibits in Nürnberg. The coin was a little delayed by the way - it is dated 1952 but came out in September 1953: The artist's original design had to be modified ...

Christian

Seba79 likes this.
  11. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Nice thread. I somehow missed it earlier. I have a complete set of the mark-denominated commemmoratives after 1933 but am missing most of the Weimar ones. I try to pick up one or two of those a year. I'd never seen that album before but, as been pointed out, it doesn't really seem to be a well-planned coverage.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    7Calbrey likes this.
  12. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

This coin belongs to the Weimar Republic. It's dated 1928 and marks the one thousandth anniversary of the foundation of Dinkelsbuhl. Denomination is 3 Reichsmark. KM # 59 which happens to be my lucky number. Hope you like it.

3Mark O.jpg 3Mark R.jpg

Seba79 and chrisild like this.
  13. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Very nice coin, and one of the rarest in this series.

7Calbrey likes this.
  14. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Well, if you look good, you will see that only one focuses in the commemorative coins:
    All of the Republic of Weimar; the commemorative ones of the III Reich, The church, Schiller and M. Luther iusses, and the first ones of the Federal Republic.
    Alone commemorative pieces, and since the album was done in the first years of the decade of 1960, perhaps have some sense.. :)

7Calbrey likes this.
  15. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the complete info Christian :)

Btw, do you know why this coin (The Núremberg commemorative) its too scarce? Perhaps in some moment they melted down some quantity?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  16. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Here its the last one for now; the 5 Mark 1955, 150th Anniversary of death of Friedrich von Schiller.

1955a.jpg 1955b.jpg

Theodosius, 7Calbrey and chrisild like this.
  17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Don't think that any were melted - well, certainly not a significant number. But they made 200,000 Germanisches Museum coins only, and 1,240 of them in proof. (Same with the Schiller coin, except the proof figure is 1,217.)

Back then, not too many cared about such coins. For quite a few people 5 DM was a lot of money at that time, the country was still recovering from WW2, and many people had other priorities than putting such a piece aside. Later, when collecting coins became more popular again, there just weren't many early commems in good or excellent condition left ...

Christian

Seba79 likes this.
  18. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Hi all :) , these is the last one, commemorative issue of Centennial - Birth of Joseph von Eichendorff, the 5 silver Deutsche Mark 1957 J (Hamburg) Mintage 198.000 coins and aprox. 2000 in proof condition.

1957a.png 1957b.png

chrisild, Theodosius and longshot like this.
  19. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

In this point, with 22 of 40 obtained coins, I did a review of the value from page to page, the remaining coins are really expensive, especially those who are on the page two of the album.
    I have a number in my head of the finished album, but someone can give me an approximate value? To compare numbers? Which would be the approximate value of finished something like that?

Thanks for the comments guys!

20. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

1933a.jpg 1933b.jpg Arrived today! :)

21. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Do you consult Krause Catalog ?

Draft saved Draft deleted