Album - German Commemoratives 1922-1957

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seba79, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Another one;

J. 350.jpg

chrisild likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pragmatic

pragmatic Well-Known Member

4. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Sorry but, I do not understand..

5. pragmatic

When i looked at these photos i felt a numb. They look......well. no politics. No politics in the forum. No offence)) i don't mean to devalue your coins. They are just from an era that brought to humanity a lot of trouble.

I prefer coins from israel.:rolleyes:
    I have only 4 pieces, 1 lira, 1/2 lira, 10 agorot and old shikel. Only the first in very good shape. But i like them because they reflect Jewish heritage. And if you offer me to choose between a very expensive UNC german coin gift vs a cheap G or VG israeli gift i would go for the second. Probably the affinity to the later is due to being in close proximity. We had many Jews in Egypt pre-Nasser era. They were Egyptian citizens with full rights. And the old buildings in Cairo and synagogues and Magen David at the facade of many buildings stand as a witness. Sadly, when Nasser came as a president, they were expelled to israel. One of the reasons I yearn to an era I haven't lived in Egypt (Kingdom of Egypt; era before 1952) is that all three religions were living together peacefully. I am only 33 years. It is just a wish if i could go back in time.

Attached Files:

Seba79 likes this.
  6. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Yes, its true, but I only see this period of the history across the numismatics. As you say, no political interest. :)

Btw, very nice coins from Israel

pragmatic likes this.
  7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Problem is that the company which made this album decided to lump various countries and political systems together, in the sense of "anything goes here, as long as it is somehow German and somehow republican". I find that odd too, but - their decision. Don't know when Dansco designed and produced the album, and how they managed to include so many mistakes.

Of course you will then end up having the so-called Weimar Republic (basically democratic but not very stable), the nazi regime (see your comment above), the Federal Republic of Germany (1949-today) and the German Democratic Republic (East G. 1949-1990) together ... or did the manufacturer, for whichever reason, leave the latter out? Never mind. ;)

Christian

pragmatic likes this.
  8. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Boys, if for some reason, someone feels that this thread hurts its sensibility, I will put a stop in the update's.
    The only mission here is to share the numismatics. :)

pragmatic likes this.
  9. pragmatic

as long as there is no Hitler on the obverse, I will try hold on lol :troll:

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Much to the chagrin of some collectors of nazi coins, there is no Hitler coin. ;) And @Seba79 - I was merely trying to explain why I find the concept of that album odd (apart from the mistakes they made). That does not translate to "stop posting your updates" of course.

Christian

pragmatic likes this.
  11. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, perhaps it is a little strange. The album was done in the decade of 1960s. Maybe another version exists for the coins of German Democratic Republic (East G. 1949-1990)?
    In any case, it is an interesting period from the numismatic point of view. :)

chrisild likes this.
  12. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Arrived today;

20170629_095652.jpg 20170629_095704.jpg

Mad Stax and chrisild like this.
  13. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Another here

20170704_174503.jpg 20170704_174543.jpg

chrisild likes this.
  14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The Walther von der Vogelweide coin has an almost identical twin by the way. :) Austria also issued a coin on that occasion (2 Schilling 1930), and both coins have the very same reverse. And for the 750th anniversary of Walther's death, the Federal Republic of Germany issued a 5 DM coin in 1980 ...

Christian

Seba79 likes this.
  15. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Yes, this is the Austrian coin

2_Schilling_1930_-_Vogelweide.jpg

chrisild likes this.
  16. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

17. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That Ludwig Wilhelm coin I like. :) He was colloquially called Türkenlouis as he fought against the Ottoman Empire's troops in Belgrade, Budapest, Vienna and other places.

What is quite unusual about this coin is that the "eagle side" does not only feature the federal eagle, country name etc. It also shows the palace in Rastatt he had built. The coin (designed by Karl Föll) is the only collector coin from this country that has such an extra element. A few other pieces have "specific" eagles that refer to the occasion of the issue, but no other coin has such a building on the eagle side ...

Christian

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    ffrickey and Seba79 like this.
  19. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

20. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

21. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Sweet coins Seba79, I've recently become interested in German as well as Canadian coins. So this thread should show me a good deal of what's out there as far as German coins are concerned. I've found it's tough to find solid references for world coins, while many US series are pored over again and again.
    And concerning the history of Germany in the first half of the 20th century, I've always believed in this old quote: "Those who cannot remember history are condemned to repeat it."
    Just thought I'd throw that out there, it seems quite relevant to many current world events... but anyway...
    These are some beautiful examples you've accumulated, I look forward to seeing this album grow. Best of luck!

Theodosius and Seba79 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted