Albania.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Sep 7, 2019.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I've got all 9 of the circulation struck 100 Franga coins ranging from AU55 to MS64. The toughest coin is for certain the 1926 One Star variety, nearly impossible in mint state, and without spots even tougher. Does your 1927 have No Star, One Star, Two Star? Same as the 1926 dated coins, the One Star is the better variety for 1927 also.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. princeofwaldo

4. princeofwaldo

5. princeofwaldo

Likely the finest extant:

alb1937.09.jpg alb1937.10.jpg

Siberian Man, Chris B and Stork like this.
  6. princeofwaldo

There's a 66+ out there with honeycomb pattern toning that is vastly inferior, so we'll claim finest extant for this one as well:

alb1938e.jpg alb1938f.jpg

Siberian Man and Stork like this.
  7. princeofwaldo

This coin has a very interesting story, purchased raw in 2001. It was listed in a World Coin News advertisement in the September, 2001 issue. Wish I could remember the dealer's name, he was located in Manhattan. I called on a Friday and asked if he still had it, he told me he thought he did but would have to check his safe deposit box at the bank and to call back the following week.

So I waited a couple days, and on Tuesday the following week the planes plowed into the World Trade Center. Everyone else was focused on that, all I could think about was how this coin was going to slip through my fingers. But showing the greatest of patience imaginable I didn't call this guy on Tuesday, I waited until Wednesday to call the day after 9/11. This guy was actually in his coin store the very next day even though it was located only 6 blocks from the WTC.

The conversation with him that morning was unforgettable, he was kind of manic, talking 200 words a minute about the events the previous day. I told him I was surprised he came in to the shop that day, and he said it was the only thing providing any stability in his life at the moment, the coin shop, the coins, --and yes! he had the 100 Franga in the safe that I had asked about.

He sent it out registered mail that day prior to receiving my check. This was a guy I had never bought a coin from before and he sent it out on a phone call after spending 20 minutes dong the "coin therapy" thing over the phone with me. Of course he got his check from me, was mailed the same day. And the coin itself? Undergraded by 2 points me thinks, and should have PL designation as well. alb1938j.jpg alb1938k.jpg Have a look:

panzerman, Chris B and Stork like this.
  8. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I drool over this coin. I have yet to acquire a 50 FrA and was in fact out bid on a lesser specimen over the weekend. I might have bid more (it was in a 62 slab and looked like 62 graded gold) but I KNOW there are better ones out there. I just have yet to find it. The 1927 100 FrA one star is also a gap. Sigh.

I NEVER get tired of looking at your coins!

princeofwaldo likes this.
  9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

New arrival this week

Albania Half Lek 1926 rev.jpg
    Albania Half Lek 1926 obv.jpg

panzerman, Siberian Man and Stork like this.
  10. Stork

My latest treasure arrived yesterday (excellent timing considering this recent topic). I had a respectable version, but this one is super sweet.

In 1926 there were allegedly two versions (well, kind of-sort of three actually) of the 20 FrA listed, both minted in Rome.

This is the common one, the Prince Skanderbeg (hero of Albania) bust obverse with a winged lion reverse. Both super cool designs IMO. It is in an uncommon degree of condition. It's far nicer than the one I'm replacing with it. 1927 is much easier to find in above average preservation!

Now if I could only find the 1931 base metal coins in decent shape (not to mention the one star 1927 100 FrA and the 50 FrA...then I think I'll have all of Zog's non-proof/non-prova coins that actually exist--vs a couple hypothetical ones listed in Krause).

combo vert black.jpg

11. princeofwaldo

Do you still need the Skanderbeg 20 Franga with Fasces privy mark? They only made 10, it's a coin I've always wanted but never been ready to pay $10,000 for. They do come up for auction every couple of years.

12. Stork

It is the ONLY coin I have ever spent that kind of money on. I had a set of bullion coins I was getting rid of which funded it. In fact I swapped sovereigns for the new purchase above too.

Nowadays I'd rather have interesting coins, though I'm sure most people would not consider early 1900s coins worthy. Shoot it could have funded some nice Japanese coins too...or ancients, or whatever. That said, I'd rather collect a visually appealing (to me) set, that is limited enough in scope I can finish it before I retire. What can I say, it's an illness, hoarding and OC traits don't help ;).

Hoarding in the dragon sense is what I mean, I'm a poor dragon as I have fewer ounces, but cooler coins. A real dragon would have sold her husband's car instead. combo 1920 fcfcfc.jpg

Stupid prong is just about hiding the dang fasces though. The auction photos of it were taken before slabbing and were much nicer. Plus I don't have the art of 'glamour shooting' down. It's very prooflike.

13. princeofwaldo

A real wowzer of a coin, --agree on the prong, in some ways the old NGC holders were superior, especially in cases like this coin. Nothing noteworthy on the edges of the coin and the most important attribute is obstructed.

Stork likes this.
  14. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Italian occupation (1939-1943).
    0.50 lek 1941, stainless steel, weight - 6 g., size - 24 mm, thickness - 1,97 mm, mintage - 900000 pcs. Engraver: Giuseppe Romagnoli. Rome Mint. Such coins were released at 1939-41. Demonetized at January 1 1945. Ruler: king Vittorio Emanuele III (1939-1943).
    11.jpg 12.jpg

panzerman, Stork and princeofwaldo like this.
  15. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

It's not as special as some of the earlier coins on this thread, but I liked the contrast between the 1939 Albania 1 Lek and Italy 1 Lira. As if to say, "Now kids, if you go invade Albania, be sure to wear a helmet." Both were cheap ($5 + $0.75).
    ob.jpg rev.jpg

panzerman and Stork like this.
  16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Beautifull coins! Thanks for sharing.

17. panzerman

Too bad this was a PROVA/ should have been a reg. issue. Seem to be a lot of these on auction sites.Probably all where kept in private collections. 2de21746936dab357aaa770fea5e67b9.jpg

18. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I picked up this set earlier this year.
    Albania 01.jpg
    Albania 02.jpg

Siberian Man, Stork and panzerman like this.
  19. panzerman

Lovely set. They where never removed from protective plastic! Would be neat to find a complete set like that.

20. Stork

That looks like a nice one! It's hard to find them in good shape, too many have been taken out and handled and put back.

21. Pellumb

Pellumb New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted