Alaska Mint

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cman, Apr 2, 2010.

1. cman

cman Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

I am not positive, but I have never heard of an Alaskan Mint. I think these may have been tokens made by a private company.

Regards,
    Stan

4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It is a private company like the Franklin Mint. Depending on how it was marketed, they could have called it a Token, Commemorative or Medal. If it were a coin there would be a monetary value on it.

5. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I've been to the Alaska mint a few times. They make a lot of commemorative-type coins, but mostly specialize in jewelry. If you have the money their jewelry is well worth the price.
    Guy~

6. cman

cman Junior Member

Thank you all very much.

7. nss

nss Gold Plated Member

Does that say .099 fine. point oh nine nine?

8. cman

cman Junior Member

No it says .999 fine.

9. krispy

krispy krispy

10. cman

cman Junior Member

Sorry, i wasnt clear on my original post. Im just wondering if anyone else has any of these. I am clear on what the Alaska mint does. I was just curious if anybody had some

11. krispy

krispy krispy

The OP was clear(.)

Certainly some others out there have some of these coins, maybe none here on CT... ;) though that remains to be discovered/announced.

The link was for Coinman1974 since he mentioned he'd never heard of Alaska Mint, for which there is a readily available URL for this company and Google is ready at one's disposal. :thumb:

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Alaska mint! Never Knew thay had one ??

13. cman

cman Junior Member

Sorry my mistake. Thank you for clearing that up.:bow:

14. DollarCollector

DollarCollector Junior Member

I hate to tell you this but there never was a Mint in Alaska. I don't know what those coins are, at first I thought they may be commeratives, but they're not.

Could be privately made tokens made as souveniers.

15. walmann

walmann Two loups and myopic

The avatar I use is an Alaskan Mint medal. Private enterprise as others mentioned, interesting place to visit.

16. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Well, actually there is. A mint isn't always a government run business. Mints have been a private institution long before governments got involved in them. The Franklin mint was a mint, as well as dozens more in the US. They have the same type of machinery in Alaska as the US mint employees in their operations, and quite truthfully put out a better product quality-wise.
    Guy~

17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Is this similar to the franklin mint??

18. DollarCollector

DollarCollector Junior Member

Yes. A mint in their own minds only, not an official branch of the US Mint.

Anyone can get machines like the US Mint uses in producing coins.

Look at the company selling the fake American Buffalo gold clad proofs!

19. krispy

krispy krispy

Sigh... Why do you make posts like this query? The information was already posted earlier than your first post (yesterday) to this thread and a link to the Alaska Mint site was provided which could serve to answer your question. Please do a little work to figure out the answer to your own questions at the very least... :thumb:

As a suggestion... Do you leave comments every time you check back on a thread which you previously posted to and are subscribed to? I see that you do this often and often the comments you post do not reflect on the topic at hand, impart anything of use to the thread, prove that you are following the topic and other members thoughtful posts, or are flat out wrong responses to an OP, misguiding new members and showing how much you don't really know about a given topic... Be sure to actually read what has been posted in the thread as a participant. Other subscribers actually get an email for each new post in a thread only to return to the thread to find posts like the careless one-liners you tend to post daily in every thread you open. PLEASE read what's been posted and consider what you are asking or posting about too. I'm sure you are a wealth of information like the rest of us;), but I hope to read something that brings life to the conversation rather than to reiterate the known or established posted information. Please consider this for all members sakes. I'm not trying to judge or belittle, just to be more efficient and prudent with what's already available. :high5:

20. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted