Featured Akragas Tetradrachm.....Not Quite the Holy Grail of Ancients but.....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, Sep 16, 2019.

1. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

Well at least I'm in good company. :)

For what it's worth, I think you will do OK on the Akragas. Maybe not if you flip it right away, but if you hold for a while. Seems like the very best material is leaving the rest of the coin market in the dust, and that Akragas deserves to be counted among the very best in my opinion.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Members , please remember you are responsible for what you quote as well as what you wrote. If you quote posts with rule violations , it is as if you said it yourself. If you were one in his thread , no one was banned this time, but accounts were halted while sorted out. Jim

4. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

I put in a decent bid on that one too but bidding on it became a bit frenzied so I stopped watching it. Ultimately it went for a lot more than I expected.

It was a very mixed auction I thought. Some coins achieved very high prices but others sold at quite a bit less than I expected.

5. 1934 Wreath Crown

I think so too. I would like to enjoy owning it and don’t intend selling it for a while.......unless someone from Sicily “makes me an offer I cannot refuse “ :D:D;)

6. 1934 Wreath Crown

A similar grade sold for $8,400 early in 2019. OK the toning is not the same and some scratches are visible but essentially it is the same coin AU* 5 and 5....I know I know its an ancient but to pay such a huge premium for a bit of toning??? Hell just crack it out of its coffin and it will tone in a couple of years;)

7. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

It isn't valuable for the toning - the value is the obverse's style which is unusually nice.

8. 1934 Wreath Crown

It does have a lot of very nice detail on the reverse

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

This is where ancient and modern coins differ. Same grade =/= same coin.

Paul M. and TIF like this.
  10. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

1934 Wealth Crown, Congratulations on your Akragas Tet ;). I was eye-balling that coin for some time too :). Be thankful you were able to score a Tet of that type since a nice looking example of a Dekadrachm of that type, like the one pictured below, would probably set you back 500 K :jawdrop:.

Akragas Decadrachm.jpg

One ancient coin in the G.C. offering that really impressed me was the Gorgonian Stater pictured below. I bid 8 times for that coin but ended up getting steamrolled. It finally sold for $2,643.75

707468-1 (2).jpg 707468-1.jpg 707468-2.jpg

Paul M., Bing and 1934 Wreath Crown like this.
  11. 1934 Wreath Crown

Wow...eyewatering values. Is that your coin......if so, I'm envious :happy:

12. Al Kowsky

I bid up to $1,800.00 & felt confident I'd get it, but it wasn't in the cards :(.

13. AncientJoe

500K unfortunately wouldn't even get to the open - this coin last sold a few years ago at NAC for 2.3M hammer.

Orfew likes this.
  14. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I have met several members of the Early American Copper club.

These collectors get excited about die pairs.

For them, it might be a very big deal to collect another 1794 large cent, from dies they already have examples of, if they don't have another example of the pair of dies together on the same coin.

red_spork likes this.
  15. Al Kowsky

surprized baby.jpg

16. 1934 Wreath Crown

@AncientJoe I really would really like to hear your opinion on the Ptolomey II Octodrachm Sir. I am in awe of your detailed knowledge and expertise on ancients and would love to have some insight on this coin which I find very fascinating because of the 4 royal portraits.

17. AncientJoe

It's a popular but fairly common type, especially in recent years (there have been many gold octodrachms on the market as of late). There have been ~200 sold publicly in the last handful of years, usually in decent condition so it isn't a type that one needs to rush out and buy.

There is a tetradrachm of the type at half the weight which can flesh out a set if you're looking to collect a Ptolemaic typeset. Some are prohibitively expensive/rare but the basic set can be completed relatively easily (Ptolemy I Soter pentadrachm, Arsinoe II Philadelphus, Ptolemy II Philadelphus [octodrachm + tetradrachm] Ptolemy III Euergetes, with bonus points for Berenike or any other denominations).

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  18. 1934 Wreath Crown

Draft saved Draft deleted