Akragas (Agrigento) Sicily, Ancient Greece

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AdamsCollection, Nov 21, 2019.

1. AdamsCollection

AdamsCollection Well-Known Member

One of the most famous, and tourist attracted Ancient Greek civilizations was in Akragas Sicily. On the island of Sicily just off the toes of Italy grew a great city. At its best, the city held an estimated 300,000 citizens. The great city had its own walls, multitude of gates and a plethora of outstanding temples, buildings, and ruins. It remains a beautifully crafted city, that is miraculously still standing today.

sicilia_antica_2.jpg

I wish to take a vacation to visit the city, and explore its ruins for myself. I have always seen the images from Akragras and been blown away by the immensity of the structure. Surrounded by the living remnants of ancient people, to visualize first hand what it might have been like to be there at its prime. I have always wanted to visit this place, so I was excited when I recently acquired my first coin from this great city.
    images-7.jpeg

The coin I got was listed unidentified, but I saw the resemblance of a crab on the reverse. I took the risk of knowing odds are I was not actually seeing a crab, or a coin from akragras but I bit the bullet and bought it. Now the interesting thing about Akragras coinage is that most of their coins depict and feature crabs. This is because of a river that flowed very near to the city which allegedly is what gave the city its name. They used the crabs from the river as the cities mascot, or symbol. This is why I had my hopes up for something special initially. Akragras has some beautiful coins, As you can see some of the silver coinage from Akragras is completely jaw dropping.
    BMC_61.jpg

This coin is a truly stunning coin, one I will likely never get the privilege to own myself. This coin is seriously detailed and has a lot going on. Truly an incredible specimen.
    --Akragas, Sicily. Circa 414-413 BC. AR Tetradrachm. A-K-Ρ-A-Γ around a pair of eagles standing right on the upturned body of a dead hare; the nearer eagle, with closed wings, head reared, beak wide open; the further, flapping its wings and lowering its head to tear at the prey / AKΡAΓANTINON around a crab with open claws seen from above; below, Skylla swimming left, her right hand raised to shade her eyes.SNG ANS -.

Akragras also had beautifully simplistic coin designs, as in this coin. SNGANS_0926.jpg
    Sicily, Agrigentum AR Didrachm. ca 500-490 BC. AKRA, eagle standing left / crab. Jenkins Group II.

Now the coin I have is not silver, but bronze and much more worn, although scarce. I was ecstatic to find out my intuition was right, and I positively identified my new coin as an Onkia from Akragras. It is a slightly small coin just 1.8 grams but still impressive to me, finally owning a piece of that great city I hope to someday visit.
    Akragas1.jpg Akragas2.jpg

My coin features an Eagle head facing right, which I personally have never seen an ancient coin which depicts just the head of the eagle, usually the entirety of the eagle is shown, I found this to be a very interesting aspect of the coin, and on the reverse you see the trade-mark Akragras crab within a dotted circle. Here is a nicer example of the coin so you can get an idea of what it 'should' look it.
    Calciati_087.jpg
    Akragas, Sicily. Circa 425-406 BC. AE Onkia. Eagle's head right / Crab. SNG ANS 1104ff.

So, fellow forum posters and readers, I ask, do you have any coins from certain locations you have always wanted to visit? Or coins from your favorite city or area? I'd like to see what others are proud of owning! What coin's origin city would you want to visit the most and why?

Attached Files:

Pishpash, JulesUK, Ajax and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Excellent write up and keen eye finding that crab! Coingrats!!!
    I cannot wait to visit this place... Someday.
    "I got crabs!"
    "Welp, son, time ta go see a doctor."
    Here's one of mine.
    D1CE2CB0-252C-4728-9ED2-4D02A02F2C2E.png

Pishpash, Ajax, Marsyas Mike and 13 others like this.
  4. AdamsCollection

Nice coin! I love the little shrimp! I definitely want to get one of those, and maybe someday a silver! Interesting how worn the wings on the eagle are, I really like that on your example!

Ancient Aussie and Ryro like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice catch and write up, @AdamsCollection .

I have the makings for a crab boil on my Akragas Onkia

[​IMG]
    Sicily Akragas
    AE Onkia 16mm 3.8g
    425-406 BCE
    Eagle r fish, fly -
    Crab, conch
    SNG ANS 1062 var

Pishpash, Ajax, Johndakerftw and 11 others like this.
  6. AdamsCollection

Another excellent coin! This is a really attractive example, I like how the conch is still multidimensional and the eagle stands so proud. Akragras really had a good sense when designing their coins. :)

Alegandron likes this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Throw my crab in the pot as well!
    I sat off the coast of Sicily in the summer of 2014. Was supposed to have a couple of days in port but that unfortunately was scrapped. Only got to see it from afar.

Akragas, Sicily
    c425-406 BC
    AE Tetras
    Obverse: AKΡA, eagle, with head lowered, standing right on hare; crab behind
    Reverse: Crab, crayfish left below; three dots below crab
    Sicily, Agrigenrum AE Trias.jpg

Pishpash, Ajax, Johndakerftw and 10 others like this.
  8. AdamsCollection

Its a crab-fest! This is getting delicious!

Andres2 and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. Alegandron

Toss some Rabbits in that Stew

[​IMG]
    Sicily Akragas AE Trias 23mm 8.5g 287-241 BCE Beardless Zeus Hellanios 2 Eagles hare in talons HGC 2 159

Pishpash, Ajax, Johndakerftw and 11 others like this.
  10. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

AdamsCollection likes this.
  11. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Who doesn't love those crabs?

487942.jpg

Oops, wrong photo... :rolleyes:

Fantastic OP coin. I may have something relevant here in my collection.

86594q00.jpg

Pishpash, Ajax, Johndakerftw and 8 others like this.
  12. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin and write up, Sicily is a great place to visit, I'm sure you will like it when you get there. 51049.l.jpg
    Akragas Ae Hemilitron circa 400BC, 15.5gm, Eagle r., clutching dead hare in talons. R/ Crab; crayfish below, six pellets in field. Westermark, Period III, Series IV; CNS I, 15; HGC 2, 136.

Pishpash, Ajax, Johndakerftw and 7 others like this.
  13. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Tetradrachm of Akragas 470-420 B.C. Obv Sea Eagle standing left Rv. Crab with human facial features on carapace HGC 77 17.02 grms 27 mm akragas12.jpg

14. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

15. AdamsCollection

Never seen that one before, I have always wanted a coin with an octopus! Really interesting, great coin!

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Love 'dem Crabbies! Always have.

[​IMG]

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

PS- an octopus is on my list, too.

AdamsCollection likes this.
  18. AdamsCollection

I have seen some circulating, been dying to snag one once the opportunity is right! If you end up getting one post it!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While not rare, the Akragas Herakles head countermark was applied to worn coins of the eagle, hare / crab, shrimp type. The question is whether you want one with a good strike of the countermark made clear by the undertype being very worn or a hard to decipher countermark that shows the undertype more boldly. We also ask if it makes any difference how the two align with each other and what part of the eagle was flattened by the countermark on the other side. Mine is rather a middle of the road example with more undertype and weaker countermark than many..
    g20500bb0489.jpg

without c/m
    g20470bb0497.jpg

Finding nice ones of these will take looking and luck or a bit of cash. Most are worn.
    Compare:
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1370213
    and

20. AdamsCollection

Nice! That’s very interesting! The counter marked examples I have seen have had almost no details of the crab/shrimp left. You got a nicer one for sure!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. Alegandron

And then! Carthage had to come along, OCCUPY Akragas, shut down the Crab Boils and Rabbit Stew parties, and have Horse Races...

[​IMG]
    Sicily Akragas Punic / Carthage occupation 213-210 BC AR Half Shekel 19 mm 2.9g Male head r Triptolemos wreath grain -Horse leaping r Punic Ḥ SNG COP 378

Draft saved Draft deleted