Ajax' Top 10 of 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ajax, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I had a fairly busy year coinwise. I managed to add 144 coins so it was a bit difficult picking just 10. Maybe next year I should go for more quality instead of quantity but as it stands I like all ancients and I'll take as many as I can get:). I'd like to thank all my CT homies for another great year of sharing coins and friendship.. you guys are the best.

10. A. Postumius Albinus
    A Postumius Hispan.png
    AR Serrate Denarius. Rome, 81 BC.
    Veiled head of Hispania right, HISPAN behind / Togate figure standing left, raising hand; legionary eagle to left; fasces with axe to right. Crawford 372/2;
    20mm, 3.8 g.

One of only a few Republicans I got this year. I really like the portrait on this one and the history of it is pretty cool too. It goes nicely with my other Albinus coin seen here.

9. Antiochos II Theos
    Antiochos II.png SELEUKID KINGS OF SYRIA. Antiochos II Theos, 261-246 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 29 mm, 16.71 g, 12 h), Ephesos (?). Diademed head of Antiochos II to right. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ Apollo, nude, seated left on omphalos, holding arrow in right hand and leaning with left on bow; to left, monogram of ΠA. HGC 239.

I've been on a quest to get as many Seleukid tets as I can since I got my first last year. This one is a little beat up but a nice portrait and another emperor off the list.

8. Julius Caesar

Caesar Aeneas.png JULIUS CAESAR. Denarius (48-47 BC). Military mint traveling with Caesar in North Africa. Diademed head of Venus right. CAESAR, Aeneas advancing left, holding palladium and carrying Anchises on his shoulder.
    Crawford 458/1; CRI 55.

It's a little rough and a couple good scratches on it but it's a Caesar with a nice legend on it. I'm very happy with this one.

7. Diocletian
    Diocletian.png
    Diocletian, Post abdication Follis, Aquileia, AD 305-306. DN DIOCLETIANO FELICISSIMO SEN AVG, laureate bust right, wearing imperial mantle, holding olive-branch and mappa / PROVIDENTIA DEORVM QVIES AVGG, Providentia standing right, extending right hand to Quies, standing left, holding branch and sceptre. S-F across outer fields. Mintmark AQP. RIC VI Aquileia 64a

I'm still in awe at the gift my SS got me this year. This is just a lovely coin and one I will cherish for a long time. Thanks again SS who ever you are!

6. Lucania, Metapontion Lucania, Metapontum.png
    Lucania, Metapontion, 510 - 470 BC (Silver Stater, 25mm, 7.71 grams)
    Ear of barley with six grains either side / Incuse of obverse.
    Noe202 // HN Italy1482

When I started collecting last year I always wanted one of these incuse coins and @Ken Dorney happened to have just the one for me. I also have a new appreciation for barley since I started brewing my own beer. I wonder how good the beer was in Metapontion?
    5. Crispus Campgate Lyons
    Crispus Lyons.png
    Crispus A.D. 324- 5 18mm 2.9gm
    FL IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS; camp gate with two turrets and star between them.
    Mintmark PLG
    RIC VII Lyons 227

In February I won a Crispus campgate from Heraclea from Agora. I never really appreciated LRB or campgates before but man, now I can't seem to get enough. I addded about 30 campgate/LRBs this year. I'm on a quest to collect all the campgate mints for Crispus and the only one I'm missing is Constantinople.. if any of you see one of these let me know please!!
    This one I got from @Victor_Clark my favourite campgate..... for now.
    4. Iberia, Osca
    Osca.png Spain, Bolskan (Osca), 150 - 100 BC
    Silver Denarius, 18mm, 3.78 grams Bearded male head right, BON in Iberian legend behind. Horseman rearing right holding spear, BOLSKAN in Iberian below.
    SNGCop324 // SNG BM710 // Burgos1501

Another one from Ken. My only coin from Spain before total Roman control.. I hope to add more in the next year.
    3. Epirote Republic
    Epirote Republic Drachm.png Epeiros, Epirote Republic AR Drachm
    4.54g, 20mm. Circa 198-168 BC. Head of Zeus Dodonaeus right, wearing oak wreath, monogram below neck / ΑΠΕΙΡΩΤΑΝ, eagle with closed wings standing right on thunderbolt, oak wreath around. SNG Copenhagen 115; BMC 28. 4.54g, 20mm

I got this coin simply because before I bid on it I didn't even know of the type. It's a nice little coin but my pictures are no good. Anyone got tips for shiny silver photos?

2. Pisidia, Selge
    Pisidia Selge.png Pisidia, Selge, 325 - 250 BC Silver Stater, 20mm, 10.03 grams. Two wrestlers grappling, K between them. Slinger in throwing stance right, clockwise triskeles and downward facing club to right. SNG BM1940

I added a nice little bronze coin in my top ten last year from Aspendos. I've wanted a Stater to go with it but so far none have come up which suit my budget. This one from Selge fit the budget and is such a treat to hold in hand. Maybe next year I can add an Aspendos.

1. Sicily, Syracuse. Agathokles
    Agathokles.png
    Sicily, Syracuse. Agathokles. 317-289 B.C. Æ litra (22 mm, 9.72 g, 9 h). Ca. 306/4-289 B.C. ΣΩΤΕΙΡΑ, head of Artemis right, quiver at shoulder / ΑΓΑΘΟΚΛΕΟΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΟΣ, winged thunderbolt. BAR issue 33; CNS 142; SNG ANS 708

It took me a while to finally add a coin from Sicily to my collection. Since I started collecting I always heard that Sicily produced the most beautiful coins.. and I can't really disagree. This coin in my eyes is just beautiful. The portrait is just fantastic. My pictures just don't do it justice. I plan to add plenty more Sicilian coins in the next year.

Thanks for looking and post anything you feel relevant. I wish you all a Merry Christmas And a very coin Happy new year!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I gotta hand it to you Ajax you sure know how to buy quality, all great coins but that Julius Caesar is my favorite.

Ajax likes this.
  4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

0. Seleukos I Drachm
    158222.l.jpg
    Seleukid Kingdom. Seleukeia on Tigris. Seleukos I Nikator 312-281 BC. Drachm AR 15mm., 4,14g.
    Laureate head of Zeus right / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ, Athena, brandishing spear and shield, in elephant quadriga right.
    SC 131.5 var.(symbol).

Damn it I forgot one! Oh well it can be 11. Last year I made a deal with a dealer to purchase one of these drachms. The deal fell through unfortunately but almost a year later I was able to add an even nicer one. Maybe 2018 will bring me a tet!

5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I love that one to, you can't beat an elephant quadriga.

spirityoda and Ajax like this.
  6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Thanks AA! The Caesar is a real treat in hand.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are all great coins. I like 10 through 7 best.

Ajax likes this.
  8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nicely done good sir! They are all fantastic but I like the Diocletian post abdication follis the best by a fair bit... what a gift!!!

The Antiochos Theos tet and the Metapontium are my next two favorites. You had a great year :)

Ajax likes this.
  9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Thanks Curtis and Mat! You both had great years too.

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! That's a list with a whole lotta goodies in it. Hard to pick just a couple of favorites from it, but just letting my gut speak, I'd go with the Seleukid tet, Diocletian and Metapontion stater. Oh, and the JC. And the Seleukos drachm... okay, nevermind, I like them all :).

Ajax likes this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Awesome coins Ajax

Ajax likes this.
  12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

nice coins. I liked the elephant quadriga best. :):cool::cat::cat::cat:

Ajax likes this.
  13. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Great top 11 Ajax , I like the serrated Albinus , the Diocletian SS gift and the metapon with that nice dotted border best.

You bought 144 coins in 2017 :woot: How many did you sell :)

You mention an Aspendos stater, bought mine last year from CNG, I like it very much.
    P1160570.JPG

Wish you and the CT clan a Happy Christmas, Andres

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Great examples all. I particularly like the Lucania

Ajax likes this.
  15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Congrats on a wonderful year of collecting!! All of your coins are attractive and interesting examples of the specific type---I LOVE 'em!!! I think the Caesar and Diocletian are my top two favorites:)

Ajax likes this.
  16. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A very eye-catching list!

Ajax likes this.
  17. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great year @Ajax you got some wonderful coins. As a huge fan of Seleucid silver, I love your Seleukos I drachm with the elephant quadriga reverse.

Ajax likes this.
  18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice!! Love the elephant quadriga! That's some afterthought!

Ajax likes this.
  19. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Awesome coins @Ajax! Hard to pick a favorite, they are all great! Really like the Diocletian Post abdication Follis, wink wink!

Ajax likes this.
  20. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

They're all wonderful, but the Caesar coin is tops for me. I also love the contrast between the coin of Caesar and the coin of Diocletian. Placing them next to each other illustrates the vast differences in artistic style and iconography that occurred between the late Republican/Imperatorial era and Late Antiquity. Most people would say they prefer the classical Hellenistic style of the Caesar coin, but the later style really holds its own. I also love the portrait style of #1, and the way the winged thunderbolt seems to be pulsing with electric energy.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Ajax likes this.
  21. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Very nice! I’m liking the Caesar and Diocletian (and that Seleucos I is awesome too!)!

Ajax likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted