Airline coin robbery of elderly passangers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cplradar, Oct 25, 2021.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

bulldrop.gif

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Sounds like a scam to me.

"Once she landed, Johnson says she knew something was wrong."

“When I picked it up, I thought, this feels light to me,” Johnson said. “That’s when I opened it up and I saw why it was light.”

"Johnson says at least half of her collection was stolen."

"The bag, she says, was in disarray and appeared to have been tampered with."

"Johnson says she’s not sure of the monetary value of what was stolen, but the sentimental value is irreplaceable."

She doesn't know what she had or it's value, claims they are "rare" coins.... and only half are taken, not all of it? Nonsense.
    She doesn't make a police report when it's clearly NOT a missing luggage issue, but a theft....
    Trying to get a loss claim from the airline is all this is, a payoff to go away, for something that was never there in the first place, a scam, and it's not going to work because they have a clear terms of service that covers all of this.
    https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-se...-carriage.jsp#baggageliabilitydomesticflights

Should have mailed it with full insurance on the package then try to play with them over it and claim only half is missing at the receiver, of course then they are going to want to inspect the contents of the package, verify whats in it before signing off on the additional insurance value.

4. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

So a 78 year old widow is playing a grift on the airlines?

Cherry picking the quotes and arranging them for maximum impact is effective eloque, but it doesn't present that facts fairly. None of this is unusual for a coin theft. she never filed a complaint with the carrier. It was the reporter that is doing it.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Why? What’s the significance of someone having coins?

cplradar likes this.
  7. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I mentioned coins because they are the items under discussion. Nothing special about them as far as that goes. And they aren't always searched, either.

8. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

After the earlier post where they were called out by security, it just seemed like a thing

9. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

That X-Ray operator who called out what they saw was in violation of everything. The most we can say is Bag Check, and point out to the screener what we want checked on the screen. We don't have to say what we're looking for, but the passenger sometimes tells us.

10. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Could be.

Her age, or gender does not make her immune from committing fraud.

You should know that, also,
    o_O

11. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

evidently it is.

12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Not to say I am not guilty of doing the same thing from time to time :)

13. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

1. Yes, quite possible. real talk, Wolfman Jack and his brother in law tried to scam me out of $500 to bet on a "hot tip on a horse" once, said they were doing me a favor. Yeah, scammers come in all types. I was working in a restaurant at the time, they came in talked me up, said "let me do you a favor you look like you could use a break, we got a tip on a fixed horse race, you give me $500 and we'll place the bet for you and then bring you back the winnings. You can trust me."
    Told them I don't have the $500, the brother in law suggested I "borrow it from the restaurant and put it back the next day" when he gives me the winnnings...
    no thanks.

Scammers of all types out there.

2. I didn't cherry pick or arrange, that's exactly how it was laid out in the article. I did edit out the nonsense like "FOX 46 reached out to American Airlines to find out what steps Johnson needs to take to file a report, but a spokesperson never got back to us."

NOW you say she never filed a complaint with the carrier, half her stuff disappears, she doesn't file a complaint with the carrier or a police report
    so then maybe it's not a scam or grift or "fraud" ...
    maybe she contacted the news just for 5 minutes of fame with a totally fabricated story that she convinced some reporter of and they ran with it on a slow news day. So maybe it actually falls into "lying old lady and fake news category" instead! Maybe she scammed a reporter huh?

I'm kind of offended at you accusation I was being deceptive. Anyone can go read the article and see what it says, it's maybe 4-5 small paragraphs.

Robidoux Pass and expat like this.
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

So she claims. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. No evidence, and by her own admission she doesn't know what she had. And there is no mention of anyone else having seen what she had that could testify to the loss. Yes she may have suffered a theft, but with no evidence/proof it isn't going to get very far.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There is something else that bothers me. If the lady was already at the gate, the bag would have already been scanned before she got to the gate. With all the new security, maybe they have to scan the bag a second time? I don't know.
    In the past I have had to check my bag at the gate several times because of space problems but they gave me time to remove anything I needed to hold on to. At that point my bag went straight to the cargo bay.

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted