Air tite coin slabs\holders...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1231134, Apr 10, 2007.

1. 1231134

1231134 New Member

Hello

Where can i send my coins to get slabbed in to these airtite coin holders (like ngc-type) without paying some member payments... ?

Does anyone know, if there are any coin grader & slabber companies in Europe ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

If you are not looking to have it graded, you can buy your own slabs online.

I think www.Brent-Krueger.com has them.

Hope this helps.

Darryl

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG] to CoinTalk 12311134.
    One recently started up in England, which I think was Europe's first. European (and other non-US/Canada) collectors prefer to rely on their own determinations of a coin's grade. Except for authentication questions on high-grade counterfeits, I completely agree with them. :D

5. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

6. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

NGC (or any other major third-party grader's) slabs are not airtight.

7. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

You should be more specific as to the coins. If the coin is valuable it would pay to have it slabbed but remember, as already noted, these are not air tight things. If you are just attempting to put coins in an airtight container, do as already recommended here. For the greatest amount of your coins you should not worry to much unless you live in a very high humidity, acid in the air, lots of dirt type of invironment. So again discribe what type of coins you are trying to protect.

8. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Here is a link to that startup TPG in England, who've opted to use a 100-point system, that I very much doubt will attract a lot of business. :eek:

9. 1231134

1231134 New Member

Hmmm.

Ngc coin holders are not airtite !?!

From ngc
    "This process is used one more time when the shell pieces have been sealed around the core through a combination of compression and ultrasonic vibration. The result is a newly-encapsulated NGC certified coin, ready to be shipped to its proud owner..."

-> If the coin is sealed inside the plastic holder, doesn't that make the coin holder airtite ?

+ Is the ngc holder at least dust protected ?

+ How does the ngc holder, then differ from reqular coinpill ?

10. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

Correct.
    Not necessarily.
    Pretty much - but occasionally, a tiny particle may get inside the holder. Also, sometimes coins are slabbed with a foreign object (dust, string of hair, etc.) and the compression/ultrasonic vibration technique fails to remove the object. If this does happen, NGC will reholder it for a $5 fee.
    NGC holders are sonically sealed. Keep in mind, if you submit coins to NGC, you are paying for authentication and grading in addition to encapsulation.

What coins are you interested in submitting? I'm not trying to encourage or discourage you from submitting, just don't want to see you waste any money unnecessarily. The grading fees can add up very quickly, and if your coins are body-bagged (not graded and encapsulated because of a problem like cleaning, artificially toned, tooled, corroded, etc.), NGC will not return your money. Typically, coins are submitted for a few reasons - I've listed some common ones: 1) the date or type is often counterfeited 2) concern that the coin is a counterfeit 3) concern that the coin is messed with [cleaned, tooled, whizzed, etc.] 4) Preservation

So, I ask: what coins are you interested in submitting, and why?

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

NGC does claim to have a holder that is airtight now, it's been out for about a year or so if memory serves. But plastic is a permeable substance and it is not truly airtight, this holder is as close as you can get though.

12. 1231134

1231134 New Member

Ok :)

"So, I ask: what coins are you interested in submitting, and why?"

-> To prevent my coins from toning. (Coin must be placed into airtight place to prevent it from destroying. Toning is corrosion !!!.)
    -> It looks cool. ;) (+ Coin gets a grade that can't be wrong.)

=> Quess I need to make my own coincapsule patent :)

13. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

There is CGS UK (Coin grading service United Kingdom) here in England, but it hasn't really caught on that much (most slabbed coins here are PCGS, the few you see).

Moreover, European collectors are more interested in the history behind the coin, than the grade and rarity.Although nice clear example always sell for more, there is little difference in the price of French coins in AU and MS....

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not true, if all you wish to do is prevent toning, then use Intercept Shield coin holders.

Draft saved Draft deleted