Ah, US coin collectors....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by medoraman, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice Napoleon(s), @Ryro !

One of my 6 daughters is named Josephine! And, now she has 4 kids herself.

My Napoleon:

upload_2020-7-2_19-41-8.png
    France
    Napoleon Emperor
    2 Francs
    1808-I
    Limoges mint
    Republic Rev
    AU55
    Ex: @Cucumbor The Great!

Cucumbor, Ryro and Nathan B. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan B.

Nathan B. Well-Known Member

In your opinion, slabs are a scourge on numismatics. But in mine, they can be a blessing. You like to open your slabs up, and that's your right. But similarly, if I choose to buy a slabbed coin, that's my right.

baseball21 likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Wow, that is an interesting observation. I had never thought of it that way. Rather, I always understood them as the Fasces of Roman Consuls. But, given the historical time period... wow, very interesting observation!

Roman Collector, Ryro and Nathan B. like this.
  5. Alegandron

Naw, I agree with @CoinCorgi . I bust out all of my coins...Ancient, World, US, and Gold. Purdy simple.
    (besides, he has a dog avatar, so he will always be right. :) )

Nathan B. likes this.
  6. STU

STU Active Member

I buy American and Canadian coins never ancient or others. rare coins don't impress me as most coins being sold are way over priced I buy only what I want and what I can afford do I have low low mintages coins yes lots of them but I got them in the 50s and yes I did get a lot of the older certified ones the coins today are way over graded in my opinion and priced so high I don't even look at them pay say 1000.00 for a graded coin from a dealer now try selling it 99 % of the time you will loose . you can enjoy collecting as I have in the past 60years and not invest money you will never get back even the high prices the us mint charges the money you spend will never be gotten back take it from a very experienced collector the only ones who make out with mine will be the kids as they get them for free and sell them for what ever they will make out

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

:) Um yeah, there at times have been remarks on the other forums. Like I said, I don't get mad, preferring to see humor in hobby banter, but I have wide interests and read most sections here. I have read some stuff occasionally about paper collectors, ancients, ASEs, world coins, etc. It simply went off my back and was hoping my post would do the same.

green18 and Alegandron like this.
  8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

If a few others had this attitude this thread would not be 5 pages long...

9. Nathan B.

Sorry! I just realized I made a typo: NGC Ancients DOES guarantee their grades; what they do not guarantee is the authenticity of the coin being slabbed.

jamesicus likes this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I know they do everything in good faith and I don’t think they would slab anything they don’t believe genuine but I would rather it be the other way around for ancients.

jamesicus and Nathan B. like this.
  11. Nathan B.

I agree with you very much. That said, I can understand why NGC Ancients would want to refrain from guaranteeing authenticity for ancients. But I do think they should do what ICCS in Canada does, and have a label that says, "this is, in our opinion, a genuine item" or some such thing.

baseball21 and jamesicus like this.
  12. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

And then again there are many different criteria that collectors apply to their coins that often vary widely. For instance, as a general rule I use the following “desireability and value to me” (most important to least important) properties for my Ancient coins:

No. 1: Historical Association (based on depictions and inscriptions)

No. 2: Centering on full flan (lettering and depictions visible and readable)

No. 3: Quality of lettering (I am a calligrapher)

No. 4: Overall “beauty” of coin (depictions and smoothness of surfaces)

Those are the values I assign to Ancient coins when buying or trading. I am sure they would not serve most other Ancient coin collectors (or collectors of “modern” coins).

Edited to change tabulation.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Magnus Maximus, Alegandron and Bing like this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's definitely very different for none ancient coins which isn't a bad thing, I do completely agree that the grading aspect for ancients seems to be an exercise in futility.

I liked your point a lot earlier about grading which could be applied to all aspects of coins. The authenticity aspect for ancients and the grades and everything else for more moderns allows collectors to expand out into areas they may have otherwise ignored if they have to go it on their own. Like you I do understand why the authenticity isn't backed up for ancients, but I still can't help be feel that would be the biggest asset to it if it was in that area of collecting

Nathan B. likes this.
  14. svessien

svessien Senior Member

That is my understanding too, and that the symbol has a kind of “one for all, all for one” meaning. It’s only later, after Mussolini, that it has become a sign for political fascism. But how does a modern day person perceive the Mercury dime? I think this is where learning and understanding history becomes so important.

DonnaML and Alegandron like this.
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Looks like nearly the same criteria I and many collectors of Ancients use when deciding on an example to add to our collections.

jamesicus and Alegandron like this.
  16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I get coins that speak to me across the gulf of space and time. Sometimes it is an historical angle, sometimes it is the portrait or reverse. Other times it is something that I cannot quite identify. But I don't feel the same attraction to modern coins.

17. Alegandron

Agreed. I, personally, love History as a Hobby. From Ancient to Present. I have areas that I enjoy more, but like to have an overall understanding, even in areas that I am not as inspired.

I am usually reasonably perceptive of different symbols, within history, etc., but I totally missed it, until your interesting comment about the fasces. Thanks for the observation.

Nathan B. and svessien like this.
  18. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I knew I should have used a smiley face! My comment didn't apply to one particular coin denomination, but any coin, ancient or domestic, that I can't afford.

I guess the humor didn't work without the smiley face.

19. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I guess so :)

The reason why I didn’t catch the humor, is that quite a lot of collectors equal price with rarity.
    I have coins that are R6 and R7 that were quite cheap, and extremely common coins that were pretty expensive.
    Sorry for being the guy that took you too seriously, then. ;)

Alegandron likes this.
  20. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

De nada.
    (The only phrase I remember from Spanish class some 50 years ago)

svessien likes this.
  21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Rare is often something that reflects both supply and demand. Thus, the 1916-D dime is relatively rare compared with the numbers of collecters and a limited universe of dates and mint-marks.

I like rarity and US coins. In fact, I have little interest in coins with over 100 known. I have chosen to specialize in Early Large Cents with a R4+ or higher rating. The thing is, while both older and rarer from an absolute number in existence, they are still relatively affordable due to the smaller demand from collectors of the series. But this is achieved by breaking down the dates into varieties, which reduces the supply (1 year with ten varieties makes the average variety 10 times as rare) and increases the total number of items (varieties.)

When that isn't enough, you can divide each variety into die states.

With ancients, there are excesses of a similar nature where thousands of varieties produce hundreds of rarities of 100 or less. Again, price keeps the less pristine rarities affordable.

So Ancients are not unlike many US variety collections when it comes to rarity.

Draft saved Draft deleted