agrippina

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by galba68, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

Still gets to keep the house but has to pay extra monthly - and the coin probably appreciated more than the house - but who sells these? I would probably want to spend money on owning more coins than the one, but that is me- everyone collects differently, and I can respect the different ways that people view this hobby.

Roman Collector likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

A 10-20% better coin for a 2000% increase in price... I usually try to maximize the quality-to-price ratio, so the best-of-the-best coin would not be an attractive purchase for me (unless of course money was no object).

4. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I understand this perspective very well.

When I purchased my Caligula ADLOCVT sestertius in 2010, I could not imagine another one that was markedly better in detail and other aspects. But the one that sold for $635K four years later is indeed such a coin -- maybe 25% - 50% better in most aspects, although I think the artistry of the portrait and reverse is pretty much equal for both coins.

Would I want to pay a 10X premium for what is perhaps one of the finest Roman sestertii in existence? Probably not, since I have many other coins to chase and spending $800K (including buyer's fee) on one coin puts a serious damper on one's coin budget. So I continue to pursue my collecting objectives knowing that the decision of buying the "best of its type" is probably not an objective that's at the top of my criteria.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Now that's an understatement!

6. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Haha my average monthly coin budget is more around 1/10,000th of that figure!

Roman Collector and galba68 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted