Agrippa

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, May 6, 2013.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Upgraded my As of Agrippa finally :D I had to trade quite a few junkie coins, and a lil cash, for this. A little glossy, making it harder to snap a nice photo.

Agrippa, Æ As. Agrippa. Struck under Caligula, 37-41 AD. M AGRIPPA L F COS III, head left wearing rostral crown / S-C, Neptune standing facing, head left, naked except for cloak draped behind him & over both arms, holding small dolphin in right hand & vertical trident in left. RIC 58 [Caligula], Cohen 3, BMC 161 [Tiberius]

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Interesting Piece :)

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

atta-boy, Randy => that's one fine lookin' Agrippa!! (I only have my croc-Agrippa)

... nice snag!!

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My personal standards for Agrippa asses require you can see the trident on the reverse. Your coin wins; mine fails.
    re0810bb0174.jpg

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks :) I was going to put a pic of the one I upgraded from, but I guess I already deleted the pics. It was completely worn on the reverse and the only letter easily seen on the obv was "AL"

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

We've all read about Agrippa's illustrious military career and understand that without him Caesar Augustus would never have risen to and maintained power. But did you know that he was also an accomplished geographer, surveying the ancient world and drawing up a circular Orbis Terrarum?

[​IMG]

It's said that he also wrote an autobiography which is lost to history. It's a damn shame.

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice addition randy, cool to see the trident too.

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh...now i see the trident..missed it at first.

cool map!

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

:thumb::thumb:

11. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_3875.jpg IMG_3876.jpg
    Well it was minted by Caligula. Go figure.

Draft saved Draft deleted