Agora Auctions holding my Commodus denarius for no reason

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

On 7/19 I won a denarius of Commodus at Agora Auctions. Anyone here who has ever sold me a coin knows I like to immediately pay for all my stuff. I don't like to leave bills sitting for 2 or 3 days, much less 10 minutes if I can help it. This time was no different. I paid immediately for the coin I won with my debit card, and it's just sat there at Agora for 10 days. No tracking number, no anything. My account simply states that I paid for it and it has not shipped.

I've tried calling and no one has returned my messages. I've even emailed and received no reply for the last 3 or 4 days. The last coin I got from them was shipped the day after I paid and 4 days after I won it I had it in hand. This time it's just sitting there and I'm getting frustrated.

Anyone ever had this issue with them before?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Never had an issue with them before. Hope all gets resolved quickly and properly. If it doesn't then contact them again by email or phone, and get a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label and all will be well.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Never had any problems. Maybe they are on holiday/vacation?

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I could be wrong (and I hope I am) but it sounds to me like someone at the auction house is experiencing 'sellers remorse'.........

6. green18

The whole staff?

7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Then a refund would be in order if that was the case. I just reached out to the VP. Hopefully I'll get a reply from him where other methods have failed.

I just think it's odd that there's been no movement on my coin 10 days after they got paid.

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've seen it happen in Europe. The whole shop closes for a month while on holiday. While Agora Auctions is US based I believe, this may not be the case. But, who knows?

9. green18

Is this your first experience with them?

10. rg3

rg3 Well-Known Member

I've had 5 orders through Agora, and two took 13 days to deliver after immediate payment. I think this was caused by staff being on vacation and/or at a big show.

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Same thing for me Sallent. I just thought they were slow to send them since the first time it took a week and this time over a week now. I paid both invoices as soon as I got them.

12. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I would be nervous too if I don't see any status update in a week. Hope you get the coin soon.

13. DeLaFe

DeLaFe Active Member

Hi Guys, Matt is on vacation. Tom does the shipping, but he left for a long weekend trip today, I will checked with him when he gets back on Monday.

We will get to the bottom of it.

Best,

Alfred

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Freakin' awesome

Roman Collector likes this.
  15. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Delays happen when an operation is run by just a few people as Agora. I would not worry, they are honorable and trustworthy and I am sure the coin will arrive. I do understand the frustration though. Maybe an auto respond e-mail would help advising of delays, but we are all human.

16. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

A business that doesn't put the customer at the centre of everything it does - will die.

ancientnut likes this.
  17. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

Like you, Greg, I make my payments immediately and wish to receive the coins promptly. But I'm having a similarly frustrating experience, my first, with Naville Numismatics. After registering and giving credit card payment information, I won a lot in Auction 24 on July 17. I sent three emails authorizing payment and asking for tracking information when available. After contacting NAC, their parent company, I finally received an apologetic email from Mattia Torre of Naville on July 27. But I have still received no confirmation of payment or indication of when the coin will be shipped.
    In stark contrast to Naville, ArtAncient, a company also located in London, shipped a coin out instantly upon payment and I received it in four days!!

Alegandron likes this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

OMG! WOW, I received mine YESTERDAY! I thought after our discussions that perhaps you had gotten satisfactory updates since I had not heard from you. I am really sorry about your frustrations. Like you, I pay immediately, period. I don't play unless I can PAY. I received my coin from them YESTERDAY, and I had commented to @ancientcoinguru how smooth, good communications, and easy the transactions were. All told, 11 days for me using Royal Mail, customs, etc.

19. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I've had Agora take a little time before, but it came through. No need to worry I should think.

20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

@ancientnut, that must be frustrating. I suspect many auction houses are run pretty lean. I do wish they'd have an appropriate staff count to keep up with post-sales logistics and customer communication (not an invitation to increase buyers' premiums at the same time!).

For what it's worth, my Naville lots have always arrived without a hitch or much delay. For the most recent auction, I received their invoice on the 18th and my coins by the 28th.

TIF likes this.
  21. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

Not so much worried, but FRUSTRATED, as Zumbly says. I'm very disappointed and this experience will make me think twice before dealing with Naville again.

Draft saved Draft deleted