Aftermarket Price Performance of Hot Mint Items

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mr. Coin, Aug 12, 2015.

1. LJRambo111

LJRambo111 ASE Proofs / 24K Buffalos

This set is collected by a lot of people. I collect them too.
    This is why I collect them.
    1.They are a continuing series.
    2.They are affordable
    3.Now we have four uber low minteages in comparison to the rest of the proofs.
    4. there are only 81 reverse proof 70's

I really believe a high grade of these reverse proofs are a great investment.

Do you think the low mintages were intentional, or was poor management?

It really is a shame that a very small of collectors missed out on these coins. The mint really let down the collecter base. I was on at 11:45 and barely made my order because the site had to be reloaded about 25 times. It took me 29 minutes to finalize my order.

These 2015 RP Presidential coins could be I would advise that if you are a presidential proof collector the sooner you get one the more you will save. I feel that they very well might be another 1995 W silver eagle chase.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I believe the man said:

"Pick your favorite hyped/inflated item from 2-3 years ago........."

Besides, "Internet Hype" simply did not exist for the first 3 items in your list. Neither did Coin Forums which fuel a LOT of the hype.

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

In order to acquire a 1995-W Proof Silver Eagle, you had to buy the 10th Anniversary Gold Eagle Set so it wasn't really a question of whether or not you wanted to buy the 1995-W coin. It was a question of did you want the other 4 coins that came with it.?

I have been buying from the US Mint since 1975 and have been purchasing Proof Silver Eagles since 1986.

When the 10th Anniversary Set was announced by the US Mint in 1995, I received their snail mail flyer and did not purchase the set for a few specific reasons.

1. Gold was $383 an ounce and Silver was below $6 an ounce. The PM content of the set was around $715 with an asking price of $999 from the US Mint.

2. I did not collect gold.

3. Back then, everything I bought was in multiples and putting $2,000 on a charge card was simply out of the question for something I didn't even collect.

The set itself, was simply NOT that popular at THAT time due to a couple of factors.

1. The PM content. Gold and Silver simply were NOT speculated as heavily as they are today.

2. The US Mint and Treasury Department had FLOODED the market with World Cup Sets, Olympic Sets and Special Commemoratives. It was impossible to keep up with all the offerings and stay out of bankruptcy as a "personal coin buyer". Selectivity was required. I did not buy what I did not collect.

3. TPG's were non-existent in the "Personal Coin World" meaning, you had to be "an authorized coin dealer" to submit coins for grading and it wasn't cheap. PCGS's Collectors Club and NGC's Collectors Society did not exist.

4. There was no impetus for getting coins graded. eBay didn't exist and neither did Registry Sets and PR70DCAM Grades. For that matter, there are very few PR70DCAM 1995-W Silver Eagles but there are a whole lot more in lessor grades as the quality of THAT coin simply was not there.

The net result was that the final mintages were extremely low. But then that fact was not available until well into 1996 because, remember, the US Mint did NOT have an Internet Presence. It was all by US Mail. Dealers that HAD purchased the sets had no incentive to go back later and purchase more because the quality just wasn't there and the market hadn't been built yet and the number actually sold was simply NOT KNOWN.

Once the final figures did come out and folks realized the low mintage and that a 1995-W was only available in that expensive set, it was too late and prices for that particular coin started going up. Individually, the coin could be acquired for a few hundred bucks.

But that all changed once the TPG's got their registry sets going and the Internet got fired up. The Instantaneous Hype Machine was born and the rest is history.

Do I regret NOT buying the set? Not anymore than I regret NOT buying Microsoft Stock.

5. spenser

spenser Active Member

I agree with you on some points, but not all. First of all. The ann. set had a mintage of 30,000. Almost twice that of the Truman and Eisenhower sets. Second, I remember people buying the eagle set sending the dollar in for grading then selling the rest. Gold is a tangible asset and can always be turned over. When the dollar got back from grading, "68 or 69" Very few coins were a 70 back then; you had an instant profit.

6. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

and now you couldn't give it away.

7. Dancing Fire

Funny thing about "modern coin hypesters"... they don't wanna talk about the garbage coins/sets that are trading at below issued price.

8. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Because I don't buy everything the mint makes. I've gotten pretty good at stocking up on the winners. Maybe someday you'll get there, so you can stop complaining about all the losers you buy.

9. Dancing Fire

Based on your hype I did buy 5 MoD set containing " the coin of the century" inside. Is it still the of the century? or has the B.S. hype already passed?...:rolleyes:

10. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Really? You haven't lost on it and it was just released. Sit on it, it's only going to get better or dump it, I don't care. If you make your buying decisions based on what I think, you're worse off than I thought.

11. Dancing Fire

B/c I have faith in you...:p you claim that you can consistently pick modern coin winners. ..:greedy:

12. LJRambo111

LJRambo111 ASE Proofs / 24K Buffalos

I agree on all points some of the time, but I will not sell my 2015 RP presidents. Heck I got them at USmint prices. But when I used the same hoarding formula for the 2015 RP sets as I did for the ASE of which I made a huge profit on for both the 20th and 25th anniversay ASE sets. They are a definte buy with no regreats. I was so confident to buy those Anniversar sets I took out a 4% equity loan.

The Truman sets are already disapearing, There are on 37 auctions and 4 of them are for the lone silver coin. So today we have 33 opportunitys to pick one up.

13. spenser

spenser Active Member

Now I couldn't give what away ?

14. Mr. Coin

Mr. Coin Member

It certainly seems like the "hype machine" creates a bubble in the days immediately following sell out. What's interesting is even the so-called winners have not done recently. Check out longer term price graphs below. I'm not saying folks shouldn't buy them, only that you need to be very careful paying up post issue unless you don't mind 1) holding indefinitely, or 2) losing money.

25th Anniversary ASE:
    http://www.numismedia.com/cgi-bin/c...&nmcode=18848500&guide=prices&guide2=pricesms

Botanic Garden Nickel:
    http://www.numismedia.com/cgi-bin/c...&nmcode=12124200&guide=prices&guide2=pricesms

Matte Half:
    http://www.numismedia.com/cgi-bin/c...&nmcode=15529800&guide=prices&guide2=pricesms

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Very interesting and illuminating graphs, Mr. Coin.

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted