After the Second Tetrarchy, 306 to 324

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, May 6, 2020.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I have educational web sites on the period of Diocletian (284-305) and later. Several have been announced over the last year, including one on coins of the First Tetrarchy (293-305):
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/tetrarchy/
    and another on coins of the Second Tetrarchy (305-306):
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/tetrarchy/Second.html

Today I am announcing related sites on
    "Coins of the Roman rulers, July 306 to autumn, 324"
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/tetrarchy/306to324.html
    and
    "Commemorative coins from 306 to 324"
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/tetrarchy/commemorative.html

I stopped at 324 because that is the year in which Constantine defeated Licinius to become sole emperor. The coinage of Constantine is very complicated and not the subject of my page. The subject is really the coinage immediately after the Second Tetrarchy, i.e. after July 306.

Here is a commemorative:
    Constantius2MEMORIAmmAQS96103.jpg
    Struck in memory of Constantius at Aquileia by Maxentius (according to RIC VI)
    25 mm. 7.32 grams.
    DIVO CONSTANTIO AVG
    Veiled head right.
    MEMORIA DIVI CONSTANTI
    Square two-door altar enclosure
    eagle on top with wings half spread and wreath in beak
    AQS
    RIC Aquileia --. Similar to 127 but that obverse ends PIO, not AVG.

Here is a regular follis of the period after the Second Tetrarchy:

MaximinusII1GENIOCAESARIS9281.jpg
    Maximinus II as Caesar.
    27 mm.
    Struck c. 308 by Galerius at Cyzicus for Maximinus II.
    GAL VAL MAXIMINVS NOB CAES
    GENIO CAESARIS
    MKΓ
    RIC VI Cycicus 34

There are many related web pages. Here is a page of links to them:
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/tetrarchy/extra.html

You might bookmark that page of links if you have any interest in coins of 284-324.

Show us some coins of the period!

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Thanks for the resources!

Here is a Maximin Daia from Alexandria:

I particularly like Serapis themed coins. This is one of Maximinus Daia with Genius holding the head of Serapis.

Maximinus as Augustus, Type Reduced AE Follis, 22mm 4.3 grams

Obverse: IMP C GAL VAL MAXIMINVS PF AVG, Laureate head right

Reverse: GENIO AVGVSTI, Genius standing left, modius on head, holding head of Serapis in right hand, naked but for chamlys over left shoulder, cornucopia in left hand, palm branch at feet

Mint: Alexandria

Reference: RIC VI 157b, p. 685

maximinus3.jpg

maximinus4.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  4. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

12 nr 004 Diocletianus Senior Trier.jpg It all begins with abdication and a new face..

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Around the turn of the new millennium, I was spending a lot of time talking to Victor Failmezger who was in the process of writing his book on late Roman bronzes. I started buying more of them and fewer Severans since I lacked anyone to talk to about them at that time. After a while I tired of so many coins having only minor differences and really spread out becoming a much more general collector. These are some of my favorites from the period in question.

Ordinary in so many ways, I had to have this Maximinus II just because of the oval flan and odd eye. Rome mint was original in many ways.
    ru4120bb1616.jpg

Also Rome was a not great condition Licinius I with the epwc mintmark. This was the only one I found for him and I never found a Licinius II. The ones for Constantine and his sons were hardly common but more so than the Licinii it seemed.
    ru4285bb2942.jpg

I liked the issues for Licinius II as a young Caesar that used a tiny portrait bust in keeping with his young age. This is from Heraclea which seemed to do a better job applying silver wash to the coins since there are so many that retain it today.
    ru4490bb1557.jpg

For Constantine I, I like the issues in his name by Maxentius during a period they were friendly. This is a Rome mint AE1.
    rv4550bb1667.jpg

My favorite Constantine is a very ordinary Rome mint AE3 severely double struck from a reverse die that had considerable damage from die clashing. The doubling of the incuse shadows proves that this was from die damage rather than a striking artifact. When I got it, many people were having trouble separating die clashes from the rare restruck brockages. This coin made a great illustration for my page on the subject.
    rv4770bb2051.jpg

I liked the forehead hair style of this Kyzikos "12 1/2" follis for Constantine by Licinius. It also gained points in my book as from the same RIC issue as the coins of Martinian that I will never own.
    rv5079fd3302.jpg

6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I find this small series of 1/4 nummi from Siscia interesting:
    [​IMG]
    Severus II
    Caesar, A.D. 305-306
    Augustus, A.D. 306-307

Bronze 1/4 Nummus
    Siscia mint, A.D. 305-306
    Obv: FL VAL SEVERVS NOB C
    Rev: GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI - Genius, modius on head, naked but for chlamys hanging from shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae
    SIS in exergue
    RIC 170a
    19mm, 2.3g.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Agree. This is the matching Galerius.
    ru4020bb2327.jpg

8. Archeocultura

In this period there are a lot of ' strange style' coins from various mints. This is a Maximinus BONO GENIO PII IMPERATORIS from Alexandria RIC 144 VI Alexandria 144b Maximinus Bono Genio PII Imperatoris 12 nr 992.jpg

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, Warren, very nice pages. Super resource, and thank you. Although I do not focus in that time period, I enjoy having some placemarkers there.

CONSTANTINE

upload_2020-5-7_8-55-20.png
    RI Constantine I CE 306-337 Æ Follis 19mm 3.2g Siscia CE 326-7 AVG Laureate R - PROVIDENTIAE AVGG Camp gate 2 turrets no door star RIC 200

GALERIUS

upload_2020-5-7_8-56-56.png
    RI Galerius 293-308 AE30mm Folles Ticinum mint Moneta 12g

MAXIMINUS II

upload_2020-5-7_8-59-7.png
    RI Maximinus II Daia 305-308 CE Folles AE 26mm Trier mint GENIO POPV-LI Genius-Serapis stndg RIC VI Treveri 667b

SEVERUS II

upload_2020-5-7_9-1-25.png
    RI Severus II 306-307 CE AE18 GENIO POPVLI Quarter Folles Siscia mint

MAXENTIUS

upload_2020-5-7_9-3-17.png
    RI Maxentius 306-312 CE AE Folles Dioscuri holding their horses She-Wolf

MAXIMIANUS

upload_2020-5-7_9-4-44.png
    RI MAXIMIANUS HERCULIUS 286-305 CE antoninianus Antioch 292-295 CE Pre-Reform CONCORDIA MILITVM Jupiter RIC V 621 H-officina 8

LICINIUS

upload_2020-5-7_9-9-0.png
    RI Licinius I 308-324 CE AE3 Jupiter w Eagle

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

OTHER RULERS on COINS

GALERIA VALERIA

upload_2020-5-7_9-14-17.png
    RI Galeria Valeria AE23 Follis 308-310 CE Venus apple SMNGamma 5-42g RIC VI 57

CRISPUS

upload_2020-5-7_9-15-22.png
    RI Crispus 317-326 CE AE Folles Caesar in Trier Campgate - Heraclea mint

ROMULUS

upload_2020-5-7_9-16-42.png
    RI Romulus 310-311 CE AE25 DIVO Rome Domed Shrine doors ajar with sm Eagle R E Q

Alexander of Carthage... Nope.

Valerius Valens... Nope.

Martinian... Nope.

CONSTANTINE II

upload_2020-5-7_9-21-10.png
    RI Constantine II 337-340 CE AE3 GLORIA EXERCITVS Glory to the Army 2 Soldiers 2 Standards

LICINIUS II

upload_2020-5-7_9-32-52.png
    RI Licinius II 317-324 CE Folles Jupiter w Eagle sinister left Antioch

FAUSTA

upload_2020-5-7_9-31-51.png
    RI Fausta 325-326 CE AE3 Spes stdg 2 infants SMHA 20mm 3.48g scratch over eye damnatio memoriae by Constantine

11. Adriaan

Adriaan Well-Known Member

Fantastic addition to an already great website! I read the new pages with great interest, fantastic work. I definitely hope that you will keep expanding!

My favorite commemorative: 78OR.jpg

12. Archeocultura

I litterally have hundreds of these; perhaps some of the more unusual:
    Seated Roma from Constantinople; standards and aquila from Ostia; and a unique Virtvs exercit of Constantine II (one issue, officinae 1 and 2) VII Constantinople 017 Roma zittend schoon12 nr 919.jpg VI Ostia 096 Constantinus I Augustus 12 nr 884.jpg VII Arles F 0834 Constantinus II Virtus vot xx 12-1855.jpg

seth77, Marsyas Mike, Bing and 3 others like this.
  13. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The following coin is being offered to me. I noticed by coincidence that it might fit this thread, especially when I noticed that it isn't there on Wildwinds. The coin was struck in Heraclea under Licinius. Reverse has Genio standing left, with legend reading GENIO CAESARIS. HT? in exergue. Hope it fits.

GenLic O.JPG Genio R.JPG

14. Tony1982

Tony1982 Well-Known Member

Nice sharp follis of Maximianus Struck on an unusually large broad flan at London. AD 300.

On the obverse :- IMP C MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, laureate, cuirassed bust right (large head type).

On the reverse:- GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI, Genius standing left, modius on head,
    naked but for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and
    cornucopiae.

(29mm 9.4g)
    No mintmark.
    RIC VI London 17
    DB9F3E8D-9908-4037-9A48-92DD500E5EB0.jpeg

Marsyas Mike, Bing, 7Calbrey and 3 others like this.
  15. OutsiderSubtype

OutsiderSubtype Well-Known Member

This is great @Valentinian - I am a new collector and I've kind of decided to focus on 284 to 324. Your websites have been a big help.

Here is one of my first acquisitions, a Maxentius AETERNITAS AVG N from Ostia. Maxentius has really fun coins because of all the "I'm pro City of Rome" and "I'm actually related to previous Emperors" propaganda.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

This Maximinus II from Nicomedia from a scarce type VIRTVTI EXERCITVS, unlisted officina E, before the civil war between Maximinus and Licinius, minted in 312.

virtvti max.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted