After market plastic slabs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bambam8778, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Would like everyone’s opinion on what type of aftermarket plastic slabs you use. I’m not interested in the air tites. I want an actual slab. I see these on eBay for a reasonable price. Have any of you actually used this brand before? I got a 5 pack of Morgan holders from lighthouse for Christmas and have yet to use them. I want to put a collection I am inheriting in these types of slabs. I am also interested in what type of boxes you prefer to store your slabs in. I lean towards a plastic pcgs or NGC box since I’m trying to limit the amount of paper/cardboard in my safe. I’m sure there are aftermarket choices for this as well. What are your preferences here? 9996672C-F297-4675-9F45-17EAF3B3D368.png C591E92C-5C56-42B5-AFDA-E232ECB3C749.png 0215F0BA-04AF-41F0-96EB-428698046F6D.png

serafino and Seattlite86 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

There are some good and bad about these aftermarket slabs. They are NGC-sized, so won't fit in PCGS boxes. I don't have NGC boxes, but I guess they may fit. They are flat and don't have the tiny ridges as in NGC slabs, so when you stack them up, they don't "lock" to one another. You can easily open and close them. Just use flat screwdriver and turn to open.

On the other hand, they are very reasonably priced. Great for display coins that needs to show edges, like partial collar errors... without having to pay the TPG fees. Just my thoughts.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

GoldFinger1969 and Bambam8778 like this.
  5. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Bambam8778 likes this.
  6. Bambam8778

I might order a couple of each. I’m not a huge fan of the green background however you never really know till you see the finished product with coin in hand!

7. GDJMSP

Might not be a bad idea to only check a couple of the white ones too before making any commitment. I've no idea if it was the ones you're looking at, but I've read reports of collector slabs that pop open at the slightest bump or movement. Others when dropped or nonchalantly tossed onto a table.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  8. Bambam8778

Me too. That’s why I’m requesting feedback from anyone on their preferences. I’m ok with an insert color I am not fond of if it offers a great quality. I think buying a couple of each may be the answer.
    For those of you who have them, what are your experiences with the quality?

9. GDJMSP

fireguy83 and Bambam8778 like this.
  10. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I have a lot of little bit better coins in the Lighthouse Everslab holders. I know not everyone likes them, and you have to handle them carefully because they do scuff or scratch easily. But they're inexpensive, print up a nice label on some textured cardstock, and I think they present nicely.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Bambam8778 and JeffC like this.
  11. Bambam8778

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Bambam8778 likes this.
  13. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I have bought both the white ones from China and the Leuchtturm Everslab from Germany. Here are my experiences and pros & cons.

THE PCCB CHINESE ONES:
    Cons: I ordered a pack of 5, but ended up with 3 being damaged or unuseable. One had a chip in its corner, the other had two identical halves (instead of a male and a female half) so the two halves can't snap together. The third one cracked as I was closing them, even though I never apply too much pressure. I include photos showing the damage. I've used the remaining two and they seem fine. See photos. However the white insert jiggles a bit against the acrylic case. To be fair - since I've only placed one order - maybe I just got a bad batch from this one vendor. I don't know. But once burned, twice shy. The batch I received only served to reinforce stereotypes about China's QA/QC.
    Pros: They look cool - like TPG professional slabs! They can be re-opened fairly easily if you need to.

THE EVERSLABS
    Pros: I've never had a problem with them. They don't jiggle. They're cheaper than the white ones (in most instances).

Cons: If you made a mistake on the label, it's quite difficult to open them again. It can be done though. The black insert doesn't look as cool as the white ones - but you mentioned you don't mind the color.

Here are the photos:

Here's the one with the cracked corner:
    20181205_162342.jpg

Here's the one with two identical halves:
    20181205_162456.jpg

These are what they look like at the end of the day. Despite the problems, I like the white ones better - but they jiggle a bit.
    20190419_135236.jpg

20190419_135117.jpg

Bambam8778 likes this.
  14. JeffC

I've been looking for ones with white inserts. Thanks!

15. Bambam8778

Thanks for that thorough review!!

JeffC likes this.
  16. JeffC

You're welcome. I ordered more of the white ones (but from a different vendor this time) because I really like the way they look, as compared to the black ones. I'll send you a message about the next batch when I get them.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  17. JeffC

@Bambam8778 , I received my second batch today. No problem (except for the slight rattle) this time.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  18. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

19. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

THE PCCB CHINESE ONES, I've been using those and never had a problem.
    May be the seller
    THE EVERSLABS- I use these also, they are nice and can be difficult to re-open.
    But I only buy the black insert.
    BCW Supplies, they are OK. 2016 CG 1.jpg 19 owl slab 1.jpg 09 s vdb bulk 1.jpg

Bambam8778 and JeffC like this.
  20. JeffC

Did you have to cut a lot to make the octagon fit?

Bambam8778 likes this.
  21. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@JeffC
    No, it's a 41 mm opening and the octagon conforms to it.
    The foam is very pliable.
    I must say they really look good in those. 4 owls 2.jpg

Bambam8778 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted