After 6 mos. of study

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by tammiGee, Dec 9, 2018.

1. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Can't say what it is called because I can't get an attributing company to look at it. With that said, my references used were, CONECA, MAD Die Clashes, Lincolncentsonline, many magazine articles and the Cherry Picker Guide. My conclusions, NA! Look up some of these terms and feel free to comment at will. Any PMD conclusions would be best accepted with detailed explanations.
    Compound Misaligned Die with either a flip over, rotated tilted die more than 5% and/or a Struck Through Fragment / Brockage mint error. That's all I've got so let the good times (replies) roll...... 2oo1-D compound errors DSCF0206.JPG DSCF0206.JPG DSCF0225.JPG Sat Dec 08 23-16-01.jpg Sat Dec 08 23-16-58.jpg Sat Dec 08 23-17-51.jpg Sat Dec 08 23-19-08.jpg Sat Dec 08 23-21-16.jpg Sat Dec 08 23-21-46.jpg Sat Dec 08 23-22-22.jpg Sat Dec 08 23-24-03.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

it's obviously a vise job 2 coins smashed together. did you not see that the word cent was reversed ?

Gilbert and Oldhoopster like this.
  4. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Concentrate....have you looked at the rev. of a LMC....the word CENT is not incuse is it? How then did a squeeze job leave a raised CENT image on the obv.? and in mirror? Look again at the picture showing the date. If it was squeezed it should have smashed the date. The area at the N and above the date has raised elements raised including image of the rim Another odd state is the straight raised line on the obv. Seems awfully difficult to do as much damage as to move metal by the CEN and not damage the upper field ....and there lies the question. Thanks for the robust reply....

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

to me it looks like post mint damage. hold on let me get @paddyman98 error collector opinion here...
    or even better an errors coin expert @Fred Weinberg
    maybe they can tell you what is going with this coin...???

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  6. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

We do not need to prove it isn't an error. It is you who needs to prove it is.

Kentucky and Oldhoopster like this.
  7. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Yes all views and opinions welcomed. Mr. Weinberg said he doesn't do social media but we'll see. I am looking forward to paddy's comments as I am collecting those also, especially the PF70 ones....I am hoping someone with expert or hands-on experience with the US coining steps and procedures may chime in with a thought provoking comment as to when during the process this could have happened. Or where and when this could not have happened. Short 2 sentence comments don't seem to add as much apprise as well thought out, orthographically proficient ones do. Thanks for the comment

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Mr. Weinberg comes here often. I am sure he might give you his thoughts on your coin. paddyman98 has been collecting errors for I think 35 years now. I am sure he will give his opinion of your coin. hopefully.

9. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Here's my verbose, orthographically proficient quasi-expert appraisal: Post Mint Damage, i.e. it was not done during the minting process.

JCro57, Oldhoopster and spirityoda like this.
  10. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Correct me if I am mistaken, but this is a discussion forum not particularly an authentication symposium. Thanks for the spirited comments

11. Kasia

Sorry, did not realize you were not looking to get it appraised. But, really, my best suggestion is to go to some home improvement store or hardware store, buy a vise, mount it somewhere sturdy, perhaps even your garage, if you have one, and take some cents and do a vise job on them. Bet you can duplicate what you have.

12. Kasia

P.S. I believe it happened after the initial squeeze, once sufficient pressure was introduced by turning the handle.

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello.. I will keep this post as nice as possible.. :woot:

So you say that the word Cent looks raised and not incused?
    I believe that it looks Incused and the reason for this is that the word CENT is even backwards. This is good evidence of a vise job. The other thing is the damaged rim. Flat and out of shape.. Take some pictures of the edge and also both sides of the Cent at different angles.

@spirityoda 33 years collecting :rolleyes:

14. JCro57

Fine, here you go...

There is not a step nor a process inside the Mint that would replicate your "error." If in fact the backwards lettering and features are raised, that would have to mean the entire die itself was hubbed the wrong way (meaning the die was made but not reversed), and then only a portion of the reverse left an image on the obverse of this coin, and some unexplained object entered the chamber causing that distortion on the reverse. So far, this entire scenario is beyond ridiculous and I am embarrassed that I am even pointing out something so obvious to everyone else.

Secondly, if a coin has a brockage, when struck again onto a coin the details would be in the correct direction and would again appear raised instead of recessed, so that is ruled out as well.

The only way that error could be replicated with raised, reversed designs is if someone made a mold of the coin and made their own die and struck it into a coin already struck.

Your coin being struck that way inside the striking chamber is 100% impossible.

spirityoda and Oldhoopster like this.
  15. JCro57

Fred told you he doesn't do social media? What are you talking about? Cointalk is social media and he comments here regularly as well as other blogs and forums. Not only is your error coin [Edited- violation of Rule 1, paragraph 2] but it appears you are as well.

16. paddyman98

This is a new member.. They are learning
    Woke up on the wrong side of the bed?
    Wow.. that was not nice.

I have been chastised for comments like this in the past. I have changed. We need to give appropriate answers... or no answers at all :angelic:

Kentucky, wxcoin, bsting and 3 others like this.
  17. JCro57

The fact this person said he doesn't do social media proves to me this poster is not being truthful, which thus makes everything else suspect. 6 months of investigating? Give me a break. No TPG would even look at it? I have never, ever heard of a grading comany refusing to examine a coin. Never.

I am all for being nice, and I am the first person who will chastise people for being rude to new members. But this entire post is staged in my opinion.

SlipperySocks likes this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Wild looking coin. I can't think of a way this could happen in the minting process.
    My old eyes have a hard time with incused and raised from images. With this coin, I see the word CENT, raised and reversed. I don't know how that is possible either.
    The reverse is just as crazy to me.

Pickin and Grinin and paddyman98 like this.
  19. paddyman98

Here is what I do.. I ask myself where does the light source originate from? To me it looks like it is coming from the left side. See how the light shines on the 2001 numerals? Then look at the word CENT is question. I see a shadow in the incused areas.. so the light source is shining in the field and creating a shadow in the incused area especially in the letters E and C
    2001.JPG

-jeffB and spirityoda like this.
  20. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Good morning @paddyman98 I was hoping you would chime in. To answer your question, all of the lines, images, letters are raised. You can feel them with the fingernail. Thus my argument to simple PMD answers.Offset Die Misalignment from MAD die clashes site shows an example similar under Type 1 Counter Clash
    CCL(TI)-1c-1994-01.

21. paddyman98

Hi.. can you take the pictures I asked for? I'm not convinced that it is raised ;)

I will try to summon @Fred Weinberg again.. I am sure he is sleeping since he is on the west coast and it is really early at this moment..

Draft saved Draft deleted