Africa (Angola and Congo) Colonial notes - looking for help

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Mark Metzger, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

3775154A-06E7-49BF-A3B8-87F42C10EF61.jpeg 89512654-D62E-4BCE-AD60-E8FACB3CE3E1.jpeg E06EFB63-BDED-4634-AAB7-0E7448572411.jpeg 5C762EA3-5E2D-48C6-A2F6-43F728104654.jpeg These two heavily worn notes just came to me and I would love to learn more about their value. From what I can discern from my research online, they are rather scarce notes. However, the condition is obviously very worn. I’d never seen them before and find them very interesting. I’ve come across plenty of coins from the Belgian Congo and Portuguese Angola, but never notes.
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

Your Belgian Congo 20 Francs appears to be P-10b, printed on 03/11/1920 from Kinshasa. Date is above "Banque du.." You're right, these Belgian Congo notes are quite tough but I cannot say what the value would be in that condition. Many of the notes in Fine - VF condition often sell for $25 - $50 but this a ballpark figure (& from what I've observed) but they can go for more. Your note looks to be in Good to Very Good (G to VG) with stains & edge tears.

The 20 Angolares looks to be P-72 from 1927 from Angola features Salvador Corréa de Sá e Benevides on the front with a hippo on the reverse. I can't say I have ever seen this note at auction so I have no clue what type of price it would fetch in that condition. Colonial banknotes that feature large game are usually in high demand.

These 2 notes are very tough to source so thanks for sharing & I hope I've answered some of your questions. For further reference, I would check out the AFRICA section of the banknote museum. Another popular online reference is Numista. Numista provides eBay leads too, & here is a VF example of P-72 from Angola. While eBay is somewhat helpful, today's sellers are often asking whatever they want (Buy it Now or BIN) so it is quite hard to say what the note's true market value is (BIN is not what collectors are willing to pay for at an open auction).

4. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Thank you for the incredibly detailed response! I will likely sell the Angola note but might keep the Congo note for my classroom collection (I pair currency/coins with the novels I teach and this would be a perfect pairing for Heart of Darkness.

5. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

-Glad I could help. From one teacher to another -great idea & good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted