Aes Formatum: Palm Tree, Triangular Bar and Tear Drop Shapes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, May 30, 2016.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Several interesting items arrived this week. Two pieces are Aes Formatum in artistic shapes: palm tree and triangular bar. They go well with the tear drop I ordered late last year.
    5.27.16 016.JPG
    5.27.16 012.JPG
    5.27.16 014.JPG
    The palm shaped bronze piece was described as an Aes Formatum from Central Italy (Etruria or Lazio) produced in the 6th to 4th centuries BC. I found five examples on line, including mine. I did not find any in reference books for Roman Republican coins or Italian Cast bronze (Crawford, RRC; Gruber, BMCRR (or BMC on line); Sydenham, AG or CRR; Sear; Thurlow & Vecci, ICC&AG; Vecci, ICC; Haberline, AG; Garrucci, LMDIA; Marchi, AG (1); Alteri, AGL; etc.
    29.3 grams, 65.5 X 23.5 X 6 mm

Celtiberian, Copper Ingot, Centuries BC-AD PREMONEDAS IN HISPANIA. Anv .: Ingot triangular. 14.92 grams. AE. Ø 35x12 mm. Dark patina. AB-P.34. MBC.
    Garrucci – Table VI #5 & 6

AES Formatum teardrop.jpg
    AES tear drop shaped Formatum 49 mm . long. VI- IV centuries B.C. ETRURIA or LAZIO . 48.10 grams. AE . Green patina . I. Vecchi Nummorum auctioned by 1999. Auctiones similar piece of different dimensions. EBC .
    Vecci, ICC – pg 90, #6

Le Monete dell'Italia Antica.jpg
    This arrived last week also. I have had the book in PDF format for a couple of years, but this one is nice in hand. As a bonus, the Venetian seller sent some photos to help sell my wife and I on the idea of taking a trip to Italy.

More on my blog -
    http://rrdenarius.blogspot.com/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool addition, rrd ...

Oh, and have fun in Italy

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great additions! I like the Signatum, but the Teardrop Formatum is interesting. Go to Italy, I love it there. It would be a great trip if either of you have not been there. (I am sure others who have traveled / lived there will say the same!)

5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Super cool Brian!!!! I LOVE the history behind them!!!

Sigh, I have been planning a trip to italy this year as well, but my coin purchases and other things have postponed it to about this time next year...

Have a wonderful time and take plenty of photos!!!

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Just don't go to Rome in the summer. We were there last in August/September. The heat was suffocating. If my memory serves me, it was 104F every day and nights didn't cool off much. On another trip to Italy (work related) we were in Venice in late June early July. Again, suffocating. If I ever make the trip again, it will be in Spring or Fall.

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Good point! And I really enjoy Northern Italy too! The Italian Alps, Lake Como, etc. are gorgeous and peaceful!

Draft saved Draft deleted