Aeolis Elaia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by old49er, Jan 1, 2017.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, been loving all the great coins you all have been posting. Interesting Designs and Histories. I have this coin coming from London. It caught my eye being counter struck . This is the sellers pic. Can anyone make out what the counter strike is? And why was it counter struck? To raise the value I assume? The seller thought maybe an owl on amphora or such. I cant see it myself. Thanks for any Help/feedback. I will post another pic in this thread when I get it in hand. Here's the description : Aeolis, Elaia. II-I century.AE Apollo/wreath. counter struck ,BMC 23? I tried to look this coin up at Wildwinds, no luck. greekcoin.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Usually, a counterstrike was to certify it's value. Say a coin was struck a hundred years ago in a different city, but the current city didn't have the resources to strike it's own coinage. It would put a counterstrike on the host coin, and "adopt" it as it's own. Sometimes a counterstrike would revalue a coin (used to be a dime, now it's a quarter.... you get the picture). I'll let the actual experts identify the counterstrike, but it appears to be ancient.

Nice patina and look on that coin though. Congrats.

stevex6 and old49er like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It's a nice coin, I like it.

old49er likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I know so very little about counter strikes and associated representations. I own a few with counter-strikes, but have never been able to find much information. Your coin looks very nice and I personally like that "sand" patina. There have been discussions in the past about applied "sand" patina, but from what I recall, the only way to find out is to see if it washes off. In my personal opinion, I wouldn't mess with it. It looks too nice as is.

Counterstruck with a thunderbolt
    PAMPHYLIA SIDE.jpg
    PAMPHYLIA SIDE
    Æ16
    OBVERSE: Head of Athena right, in crested Corinthian helmet, winged thunder bolt countermark
    REVERSE: SIDHTWN, Nike advancing left, holding wreath; pomegranate to left
    Struck at Side, 2d-1st Century BC
    2.72g, 16mm
    SNG Cop 408, BMC 66

Sand patina
    Constantine II 15.jpg
    CONSTANTINE II
    AE3 Follis
    OBVERSE: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate (resembles pearl diadem), draped, cuirassed bust left
    REVERSE: PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS, campgate, 2 turrets, 8 layers, star above, no door. Mintmark: SMKB, dot in left field
    Struck at Cyzicus, 329-330 AD
    3.7g, 19mm
    RIC VII 52

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sorry, old49er ... sweet OP-coin, but I can't tell what the c/m is from those photos

... but again, that's a pretty cool coin

old49er likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. I think the seller's attribution is wrong. Your coin doesn't resemble those of Elaia. Among other things, the wreath leaves are different. The obverse figure could be one of several deities or personifications.

The first letter in the wreath looks like a K and the letters in the legend likely spell the issuing city's name. Maybe the coin is from Kyzikos, with Kore on the obverse?

Some examples:

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=88321
    [​IMG]

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=159043
    [​IMG]

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=15647
    [​IMG]

As for the countermark, it's difficult to tell. Maybe when you get the coin in hand you can see it better or take better/different pictures. I was hoping to find a clearer similar countermark after identifying your coin but the CNG examples shown above (assuming I'm even in the right ballpark) don't have countermarks.

I have Howgego's book on countermarks but just received it and haven't explored its arrangement yet. I did a quick check for Mysia but didn't find much. I can't even guess at the countermark from the seller's images so looking it up by subject matter won't work. If I have time I'll dig deeper.

Edited to add another Kyzikos AE examples currently on Vcoins. I'm pretty convinced yours is from Kyzikos. There's at least one more example currently for sale on Vcoins.

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/gerhard_rohde/135/product/kyzikos_mysia/800383/Default.aspx
    [​IMG]

Compare to the coin cited by the seller (Elaia):

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2594478
    Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 7.50.34 AM.jpg
    AEOLIS. Elaia. Ae (Circa 2nd/1st century BC).
    Obv: Head of Demeter right, wearing grain wreath.
    Rev: ΕΛΑΙΤΩΝ.
    Torch within grain wreath.
    BMC 23.
    Condition: Very fine.
    Weight: 4.00 g.
    Diameter: 16 mm.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  8. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Kore blimey! I think TIF is correct.

Nice coin and the counter stamp adds intrigue.

old49er likes this.
  9. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

According to ISEGRIM, the countermarks associated with this type are "Eagle r" and "Kerykeion". Yours might be "Eagle r".

I have not found a good reference on Hellenistic Greek countermarks. For this coin I ran the query "po:cyzicus m:ae vt:HEAD WOMAN R" on ISEGRIM and then used the browser Edit|Find to search for the VG tag on the results page.

old49er and TIF like this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I've put off learning how to use ISEGRIM because its query method is so unintuitive. It is a great database though so it is probably worth the time spent.

old49er likes this.
  11. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

zumbly, old49er and TIF like this.
  12. old49er

Thanks a lot for all the feedback! I think TIF is right, the seller has it misattributed. Mysia Kyzikos it is. Thanks Ed for the countermark ID. All you Ancient forum people are awesome! After further research I think I found the attribution, or close. VonFritzeIII_024cf.jpg
    MYSIA Kyzikos ca 2nd Cent BC Æ15mm (4.99 gm) Kore Soteira Oak Wreath
    May 13, 2007
    MYSIA, Kyzikos. Circa 2nd Century BC. Æ 15mm. Head of Kore Soteira
    right, wearing wreath of grain / KU-ZI, legend and monogram within
    an oak wreath; second monogram below. See Æ 19mm Von Fritze 24, pl.
    ii, 7; SNG Copenhagen 71; BMC Mysia pg. 39, 150ff var. (same); SNG
    von Aulock 7353; Laffaille -. 4.99 gm. I will have to weight and measure it when I get it in hand.

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

:) My only Mysia Kyzikos...

Mysia Kyzikos AR Hemiobol 480-450 BCE 0.4g Boar-Lion Sear 3850.JPG
    Mysia Kyzikos AR Hemiobol 480-450 BCE 0.4g Boar-Lion Sear 3850

Andres2, randygeki, Pishpash and 5 others like this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

And I DO have an Aeolis Elaea:

Elaea-Aeolis AE10 1-4g 3rd C BCE Athena-Barley obv-rev.JPG
    Elaea-Aeolis AE10 1.4g 3rd C BCE Athena-Barley

Andres2, randygeki, stevex6 and 6 others like this.
  15. old49er

Hi all, Just got this coin today. Its a match. The countermark does look like an eagle too. Looks like an eagle on the left side and a tree on the right? Nice thick little coin.

MYSIA, Kyzikos. Circa 2nd Century BC. Æ 15mm. Head of Kore Soteira
    right, wearing wreath of grain / KU-ZI, legend and monogram within
    an oak wreath; second monogram below. . ancientcoins greekobv.jpg ancient greekrevmysiakyzikos.jpg ancientcountermarkmysiakyzikos1.jpg ancientcountermarkmysiakyzikos eagle.jpg Thanks for all the help!

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice! I have a little one.
    19816q00.jpg

Johndakerftw, old49er and Ajax like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted