AEMILIANUS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by PMONNEY, Jan 1, 2018.

1. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

AEMILIANUS, turmoil emperor

Of unknown background. His familly was from Mauritania, born in Girba (Djerba island) in the Roman province of Africa, he was of Lybian or Maurish descent. He succeeded Trebonianus Gallus as govrnor of Mesia. In 253 AD, the Goths plundered Asia and ravaged Ephesus; Aemilianus repelled them beyond the Danube. His successes led him to be acclaimed as emperor by his soldiers on 24 July 253.

Trebonianus entrusted Valerian, commander of the Rhine and High Danube armies to repress this usurpation. Valerian was then proclaimed emperor by his soldiers before reaching Mesia. Valerian and Aemilianus march together ensemble in Italy.

At he beginning of August 253, Aemilianus meet Trebonianus and his son, Volusianus, at Terni in Umbria, both were then abandonned by their soldiers and executed. The Roman Senate recognized Aemilianus as emperor.However, as he was about to confront Valerianus at Spolete. he was killed by his own soldiers which were in inferior number opposite Valerianus. They then rejoined the latter.

Other coins of Aemilianus are welcome. Aemilianvs.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

A fascinating ans turbulent time....and a cool coin to boot:)

i have a couple of this emperor but this is my newest favorite:

Aemillian Ant.jpg

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nothing of Aemilian in my collection, but here's his better half!

Supera Parium.jpg
    Cornelia Supera, wife of Aemelian, Augusta, AD 253
    Roman provincial Æ 20.5mm, 3.78 g
    Mysia, Parium, AD 253
    Obv: G CORN SUPERA, diademed and draped bust right
    Rev: C. G. I. H. P., Capricorn right, cornucopia on back; globe between legs (Sear describes as a star, but this appears to be a globe)
    Refs: SGI 4408 (var.); SNG Von Aulock 7448.

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

With all the killing off of Emperors, their kin, and others; they would had been smart to elect Consuls for a year, and move on.

RI Aemilianus 253 CE AE24 Viminacium mint Moesia Bull-Lion - Damnatio Memoriae.jpg
    RI Aemilianus 253 CE AE24 Viminacium mint Moesia Bull-Lion - Damnatio Memoriae

randygeki, Gil-galad, TJC and 6 others like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You do have to wonder how many of these men really thought they were immune from the normal erase and replace system. Perinax was old and took the job in service to the state but refused honors for his wife and son which might ave saved their lives. A very few others retired and lived to tell about it.

7. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

It is my opinion that when Aemilian defeated the dreaded gothic general Cniva he practically had to claim the purple. Cniva killed two emperors at Abritus and only let Trebonianus Gallus and the remaining Roman army leave with the promise of more tribute from Rome. Cniva also got to keep all the loot he had. Arbitus was the a major loss that only victory could erase. Aemilian won that victory against Cniva! This would be equal to defeating Hannibal during the RR era. The question I have is why did the troops turn on Aemilianus so quickly when Valerian challenged him? I guess that Aemilian just did not have the cult of personality and/or political skills that that Valerian had.

Aemilian / Dacia, beat up but recognizable
    AemilianDacia339O1.jpg AemilianDacia339R1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted