Advice on this Morgan Dollar, please.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LA_Geezer, Sep 26, 2019.

1. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I have been looking to buy a 1904-S Morgan for almost a year, now. Since I have placed a maximum price of $225 for one, I accept that I will not be able to get a high quality specimen, but I have bid on hundreds of very nice ones using a sniping tool, but in every case I have been outbid. In many instances the snipe site sends a message that my bids were not placed at all since the amount I set was too low.

At any rate, the photos of this auction's coin suggest that it may be worth buying it without going through a bid in an auction. I am not as well versed in determining whether the coin has been cleaned or polished as many here are. So, is it cleaned, whizzed or polished? Thanks for your advice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1904-S-MORGAN-DOLLAR-AU-DETAILS-KEY-DATE-9547/153645641789

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LA_Geezer

Never mind, I see that the seller is honest enough to mention that the coin has been cleaned, so off we go into the wild blue yonder.

Cheech9712 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  4. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

A quick check of the Bay tells me you can get an ANACS or NGC XF-45 for about $322.00 to $350.00 BIN. A PCGS Gold Shield is selling for $399.00.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  5. LA_Geezer

Thanks, Randy, but that's a bit more than I want to pay. I'll be hit with both home owner's and auto insurance in early November and property tax in December. Even so, those are a bit more than the $225 I set for myself. This one is about what I would pay, but I have doubts about the seller, even though he has more than 12K feedback.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1904-s-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-Natural-A-U-140713/372775058531

Penna_Boy likes this.
  6. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

If that's a "natural A.U.," I'm a monkey's uncle. That's the most unnatural XF I've ever seen.

Penna_Boy, LA_Geezer and Browns Fan like this.
  7. ToppCatt

ToppCatt ToppCatt

AU what? 35 - lol.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  8. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Ah, the consignment hub....I'm surprised this isn't more bad press about this seller...
    I tested the water a couple of years ago on a $10ish item and ended up receiving something different. I should have received an FS-901 '40-s Mercury.
    The seller failed my test quite miserably.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You may want to save a little more and find a nicer coin than originally planned.

LA_Geezer and Penna_Boy like this.
  10. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Or drop down a grade or two and get a nice, no-problem example.

LA_Geezer and Penna_Boy like this.
  11. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

LA_Geezer likes this.
  12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

There are some coming up on Heritage in VF and XF within the next couple weeks. The pictures aren't posted yet, but I recommend following those. XFs have been going for around $200.

LA_Geezer, ldhair and Penna_Boy like this.
  13. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Someone did a "wizz-bang" job on this example.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  14. mullah

mullah Member

It's always vital to remember about your budget. Coins come and go, but the property tax is Important as well as the ability to drive and go to work. I would stick to your budget and keep looking eventually you will snag one that you like within your budget. I have picked up some coins from Great Collections and flipped them on the bay. You might want to check other avenues and platforms besides bay. Some members above mentioned heritage which can also be a great source.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  15. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I've had essentially the same experience with this seller- bait and switched. Personally, I don't think it's accidental; I think this seller knows exactly what they are doing.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  16. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Same here, I've bought from them 3 times, and all three times they sent different coins than ordered. They refunded promptly upon return, though. I should've waited until the first one got to me before buying the other two, but hey, lesson learned. They're on my "do not buy from" list.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  17. LA_Geezer

Good advice to anyone, @mullah but I've been retired for 15 years so I don't have to drive to work. You are correct also, but my alternative is to forget about the IHCs I've been looking at AND the several Peace Dollars, too, and do a budget up to $2K on a slabbed, certified copy of the '04-S that could get me a higher graded coin. That would be my single coin at that high a value.

@geekpryde thank you for those links.

18. LA_Geezer

Ok, so I am lowering my standards a bit on this specimen of a 1904-S Morgan, but it has some appeal to me. This auction closes today, 10/6/19, at 6:57 PDT. I am the only bidder on it, and I chose not to put a higher snipe on it...yet. The opening bid is $80 and the seller wants $5 postage. I always add the postage into what I think the final bid might be, but I suspect this one will not get another bid. Was $80 too much to bid on this one?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

AU...about ugly.

TheFinn, LA_Geezer and Penna_Boy like this.
  20. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

It might be worth $80.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  21. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

A little hard to tell from the picture, looks to have had some degree of cleaning, but I think it's worth at least your bid.

LA_Geezer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted